Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 AM

254 posts, read 922,888 times

Advertisements

So, I have just learned that I must make a last-second trip to Boone for the weekend and would prefer not to drive far every morning to get there. But there's a problem: What the hell is up with the hotel prices???!!!
I've never been there before. I just wanted to find a nice, cheap Super 8 or Microtel or roach motel, but even Super 8 is $100/night!

Anyone know of a hotel near Boone that doesn't cost more than $65/night?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 12:20 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,749,932 times
25 miles down the mountain in Lenoir rooms are much more reasonable.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:44 PM

1,997 posts, read 4,591,124 times
I ran into a similar situation last year traveling to Boone on business.

Inexpensive and hotel are usually not spoken in the same breath in the Boone/Blowing Rock area. I know of no hotels that charge less than $80/night, especially on weekends or during peak times. Now, with the holidays & ski season, all hotels will be in demand.

Good luck. Do have a friend or acquaintance you can stay with? (No, seriously.)

And, yes, Lenoir will be cheaper but, yikes, I would not want to drive up to Boone (on 321) if there is even the slightest mention of snow.

Last edited by drfranklin; 12-16-2010 at 02:01 PM..

Old 12-17-2010, 02:29 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,182,951 times
The old Best Western which became ASU's sorority dorm a few years back charged $80/night in the middle of Summer. You're not going to find a cheap hotel in Boone, period.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:23 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,498,136 times
I know it's too late for your trip this weekend, but just checked online and came up with a rate of $71.99 at the Super 8 in Boone using AAA.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:40 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,498,136 times
For future reference, I can't vouch for cleanliness, but here are probably the cheapest places in Boone:

Mountain Villa Motor Lodge, 2240 Blowing Rock Rd., Boone (mtvillamotorlodge.com) advertises rates of “$79 and down”

Other "least expensive" possibilities are Highland Hills Cabins, Red Carpet Inn, and Scottish Inn.

We won't mention the Elk Motel

Old 12-19-2010, 02:14 PM

601 posts, read 1,970,190 times
Avoid Red Carpet and Scottish Inn because of bugs, Mt. Villa isn't much better, renting by the night to transients.

The Elk Motel has been sold, cleaned up, and is now Riverview Lodge (or something like that). It's still efficiency apartments for mostly very poor, under employed (if employed) single individuals. The rent went up if you bunk together so that solved a lot of problems. Most of the problems had to find another place to stay. There is now a zero tolerance policy by the new owner (Florida boy) for fighting, drugs, alcohol consumed outside, and uncleanliness. The rent went up to $375 single occupancy. Add $100/person for couples. Don't know about kids. In any case, you still don't want to mention it. Not for tourists anyway, just FYI Roadpony.

If you're coming to Boone on a weekend in Ski, football, leaf, or summer tourist season pay the $100/nite and be grateful it's not more! Or stay in Lenoir at the Comfort Inn for a tad less and drive the 40 mile round trip each day. The breakfast at the Holiday Inn Express in Blowing Rock is EXCELLENT!

Tracey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina