Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2011, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 3,697 times

Advertisements

looking for any info on this community. Will be going this weekend to look at houses in this development and would like any info (good or bad) on this area.

Thanks,

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 08:13 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,308,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradford99 View Post
looking for any info on this community. Will be going this weekend to look at houses in this development and would like any info (good or bad) on this area.

Thanks,

Mike
Do you mean Powder Horn Mt near Boone by any chance??

Old 01-18-2011, 05:52 AM

2 posts, read 3,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Do you mean Powder Horn Mt near Boone by any chance??
yep, my bad. Powder Horn Mountain. It is a gated community near Boone.

Thanks for clarifying. that's what happens when I rush.

Mike

Old 01-18-2011, 08:46 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,308,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradford99 View Post
yep, my bad. Powder Horn Mountain. It is a gated community near Boone.

Thanks for clarifying. that's what happens when I rush.

Mike
No problem, just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same place

I haven't been in there in a few years but I can tell you I loved it when we rented a home there for a family vacation. It's what I'd call a "mature" neighborhood. Most homes are at least 20 years old, some closer to 30, though there has also been new homes constructed too. The houses are all nestled among the trees and I recall loving the night sounds of wind, water and birds. I also recall about half the homes were weekend homes so for folks there year round it was pretty quiet in general. The grounds were really woodsey and you really feel like you are out in the country. I think your biggest drawback might be that some of the homes in there may seem "dated" on the inside, but of course that can be remedied

In addition, I read that last fall some 20+ lots were auctioned off by bankrupty court, so I'm thinking you want your realtor to get the scoop on whether or not the HOA and amenities are in good shape financially.

I'd love for you to come back and post once you've visited to tell me if you liked it as much as I did

Last edited by lovesMountains; 01-18-2011 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: spelling!

Old 04-29-2022, 12:34 PM

59 posts, read 108,084 times
I'm looking at home sites in the Powder Horn Mountain community. My realtor is telling me that homes up there take a long time to sell, so that's not the best situation should I need to sell a home down the road.

Anyone have insight about this from first hand experience?

What elevation is this at? A topo map I'm reading is suggesting the community is between 2000 and 2300 ft. Does that seem right?
I don't mind snow.... wondering how early and late in the season it snows up there.

Are the roads maintained well, by who and does it take a while to be plowed out? Mind you I'm from Northern New England, so 6 inches of snow is a dusting to me. A dumping is 2-4 ft.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:19 PM

17 posts, read 14,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessLyratheKind View Post
What elevation is this at? A topo map I'm reading is suggesting the community is between 2000 and 2300 ft. Does that seem right?
Yes, that sounds about right. While I'm not very familiar with this area, that's in the "Deep Gap" region, which is in the blue ridge escarpment area. It climbs steeply right there from Wilkesboro up toward Boone. At the top of the escarpment is the general vicinity called the High Country which is mostly at or above 3000 ft. It's a lovely area for sure! I love driving in the Deep Gap area.

Quote:
I don't mind snow.... wondering how early and late in the season it snows up there. Are the roads maintained well, by who and does it take a while to be plowed out? Mind you I'm from Northern New England, so 6 inches of snow is a dusting to me. A dumping is 2-4 ft.
You're used to WAY more snow than this area usually receives. You might play around with the Almanac data on Ray's Weather site. Ray has curated, highly-local forecasts for our area, including a station called "Powder Horn" which sounds relevant! Here is a link: Ray's Weather Center - Powder Horn - booneweather.com

I don't drive in that area often enough to give you much info about road maintenance. But where I live a bit up the road in the Beech Mtn area, the roads are well taken-care-of and they clear them quickly.

Old 04-30-2022, 06:32 AM

59 posts, read 108,084 times
Thank you for the info, @beehmtnps. Yes, I'm definitely used to way more snow!!

Will check out Ray's Weather site. Appreciate you sharing!!
Now to find the perfect spot to call home!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina