Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 PM

13 posts, read 31,135 times

Advertisements

Greetings everyone!
My husband and I currently live in northern AZ (Verde Valley) and are considering moving to Asheville.

We're both in our mid-30's; I'm a chef, and my husband has been working in church ministry (music). We both are open-minded, creative, love the outdoors, good music, good beer, good conversations, etc.

We've been here in northern AZ for over 10 years and think it's time to move on. While our area is beautiful, it's lacking a pulse. The Verde Valley includes a sprinkling of small towns (Sedona being one of them), but there just is not a lot going on. The area is saturated with retirees and tourists, and while there's nothing wrong with either group, neither are really contributing to producing hip communities thriving with energy and life!

What we're looking for is a place with a pulse. Things to do, people to collaborate with (friends, music, faith, community). We're not looking to center our lives around a nightlife scene, but it would be nice to be in an area that has a good mix of young and old, and that is progressive and authentic. We're looking for a more urban environment, but a place that is still close to the country. Music, arts, entertainment, dining, coffee, hiking, camping, are all important.

Neither one of us are industry professionals by any means, so jobs may be a little easier for us to find? We will be renting, so any advice on areas that provide decent rentals ($650-750 range) in good neighborhoods would be appreciated.

So, what can you tell us about Asheville?

PS - we will be visiting for the first time in March to check you out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 07:36 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,611 times
Decent rental in a nice area in the $650-750 range in Asheville may be a bit optomistic from my research.

Last edited by Booya; 01-19-2011 at 08:38 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Barlow View Post
The area is saturated with retirees and tourists,
You can forget about Asheville then because this describes it perfectly.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:52 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
You can forget about Asheville then because this describes it perfectly.
Yeah, but it's still vibrant - especially compared with Sedona, which I don't think is vibrant at all.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:06 AM

121 posts, read 278,104 times
About the only rental properties I have seen in that price range are condominiums or apartments. Know of several in the South Asheville and Arden. A single family home might run you more.

As for the other things you described I think it comes down to what you guys like to do for fun. If your definition of fun is hiking, swimming in streams and basically anything outdoors, you'll be in heaven. As for the music scene Asheville is considered by many to be on or near the top of the heap. Not to mention all of the festivals during the non winter months.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 31,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Yeah, but it's still vibrant - especially compared with Sedona, which I don't think is vibrant at all.
You pretty much nailed it for me. Sedona is NOT vibrant. While it's a beautiful, scenic area, the "culture" of the town has become almost a parody of itself. It's centered on tourism, and does not do much to recognize the efforts and talents of the younger demographics in the area. Open up the local newspaper, and you're guaranteed to see pictures of lots of seniors, and articles about city councils bickering about this or that.

Retirees and tourists don't bother us as long as there is a vibrant culture happening as well.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 3,735 times
From what you described about yourselves, it sounds like Asheville would be a good fit. Another option is Boone- it is a college town- but worth the visit if you're coming to this area anyway. Good luck!

Old 01-21-2011, 01:27 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,409,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Barlow View Post
You pretty much nailed it for me. Sedona is NOT vibrant. While it's a beautiful, scenic area, the "culture" of the town has become almost a parody of itself. It's centered on tourism, and does not do much to recognize the efforts and talents of the younger demographics in the area.
Yeah. Sedona is a sleepy art gallery of a town surrounded by big scenery.

Asheville has all that and so much more vibration going on. It will seem like a firecracker compared to Sedona.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,470 times
Asheville is so overpriced and the job market is not the best. But, being a chef, you might be able to land some sort of job. If that's one thing Asheville has, it's restaraunts. It is very beautiful here, but unless you're sitting on some cash, it can be difficult to "make it" here. Asheville is ranked a 106 on the cost of living index...the same as Charleston, SC. The pay vs the housing is the kicker. For an average single family home you're looking at a minimum of $1000 a month (and the average wage here is around $38,000 per household). If you don't mind certain areas of town, you can find a home cheaper, but keep in mind that it won't be anything new or grand and the neighborhood may not be the best. There is definitley a magnitude of culture here. Sometimes that culture can be a little overbaord, but thats mainly downtown where you see that. This is a huge arts and crafts town as well...there are many festivals that go on almost throughout the year. So if you enjoy hiking and biking and camping and all the great outdoorsy stuff, you'll love it. If you do decide to relocate to Asheville, there are plenty of people here that will help you get adjusted to the "where weird is normal" kind of life! Good luck!

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-24-2011 at 08:06 AM.. Reason: New members may not post links

Old 01-23-2011, 09:27 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,308 times
I think 38k is quite a high number for average income. 2000 census said 32k, and citydata guesstimates 34k for 2009. I'd take a guess and say its definitely not more than 34k for 2010 census.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina