U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 06:19 PM

27,060 posts, read 19,093,456 times
Default Missile Launch? (Asheville)

Did anyone else witness the missile launch about 1:05 pm today, 1/21/11?

Does anyone know anything about this?

It went vertical for an easy 7 minutes or so. It went high enough for it to disappear from unassisted eyesight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 07:51 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,288,185 times
Huh? There's nothing in the paper about it. Do you have a photo?

Last edited by garth; 01-21-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 01-21-2011, 07:56 PM

No. If I was in a better position I would have taken one. I can assure you with 100% accuracy the projectile was perpendicular to the surface of the planet. This wasn't one of those "mistakes".

Old 01-21-2011, 11:56 PM

508 posts, read 968,336 times
Unless it was launched by "mistake." LOL

Old 01-22-2011, 02:25 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,984,239 times
I think it was California yesterday, somewhere out West, they sent up a space rocket that had a secret payload, some sort of satellite, so I suppose could be that's what you were seeing. But it's Florida, usually if we see a shuttle or something blasting out of there, occasionally you can see those way up in the sky, looks like a bright star. Since there is an airport here, they turn on lights when they land and take off, so if a plane made a bank to go back in the opposite direction, you may have seen that. But except for a few military bases in the eastern part of our state, there is no place to launch a rocket of any size. But there may be a rocket club around here that sent something up, I don't know, you could do an online search for Asheville Rocket Club or something.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
I think it was California yesterday, somewhere out West, they sent up a space rocket that had a secret payload, some sort of satellite, so I suppose could be that's what you were seeing. But it's Florida, usually if we see a shuttle or something blasting out of there, occasionally you can see those way up in the sky, looks like a bright star. Since there is an airport here, they turn on lights when they land and take off, so if a plane made a bank to go back in the opposite direction, you may have seen that. But except for a few military bases in the eastern part of our state, there is no place to launch a rocket of any size. But there may be a rocket club around here that sent something up, I don't know, you could do an online search for Asheville Rocket Club or something.
There was no moving horizontally right from its take off. It went vertical until you couldn't see it anymore. It was huge but it also wasn't small. It left a trail about like you see from the smaller jets that fly by around here. I'm 2 miles from the airport.

The only thing I can find is:

Quote:
thru January 22 - Junior Girl Scout Museum Camp-Ins: Aerospace and Science Medley - Experience a real night at the museum! Play in the dizzy tunnel. Test your vertical leap. Send balls flying through air shoots! Learn all about space. Launch a rocket, design flinkers to put in the wind tunnel, and make ice cream with liquid nitrogen!
http://www.asheville.com/cgi-bin/cal...erm=Kids/Youth

But by my best judgment, it wasn't some backyard rocket that happened to go high enough to lose sight of it. There wasn't even any of the sidewinder-type action as it took off that occurs in amateur rocket launches.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:22 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,984,239 times
Jon,
Apparently some amateur launches do go pretty straight up from pictures I've seen, but what do I know? I am not an astronaut. Sooooo, guess you already know about the Amateur Rocketry Society, worldwide organization for techno wizards blasting off their missiles from permitted areas. North Carolina has several divisions, and this link's website menu will take you everywhere as relates to "launch dates," pictures, aeronautical junkies, and so forth.

Rocketry.org | The Amateur Rocketry Society of America

BUT, like you, I also could not find a launch date or place or organization in the Asheville area, so perhaps a rocketeer unassociated with regulated societies decided to blast off maybe over at Etowah where they fly remote airplanes, but probably just shot it from a big field near where you saw it. Could be UNCA has put together something, I don't know. From what I gather, Charlotte is the closest place in NC for organized rocketry, altho someone on this forum may know folks more local. You could post in the "Science" type forum here, go to the "City Data forum" link at the top of this page, scroll down to "General Forums," and you'll see it there, if no one jumps in here about it.
GG

Old 01-23-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
Jon,
Apparently some amateur launches do go pretty straight up from pictures I've seen, but what do I know? I am not an astronaut. Sooooo, guess you already know about the Amateur Rocketry Society, worldwide organization for techno wizards blasting off their missiles from permitted areas. North Carolina has several divisions, and this link's website menu will take you everywhere as relates to "launch dates," pictures, aeronautical junkies, and so forth.

Rocketry.org | The Amateur Rocketry Society of America

BUT, like you, I also could not find a launch date or place or organization in the Asheville area, so perhaps a rocketeer unassociated with regulated societies decided to blast off maybe over at Etowah where they fly remote airplanes, but probably just shot it from a big field near where you saw it. Could be UNCA has put together something, I don't know. From what I gather, Charlotte is the closest place in NC for organized rocketry, altho someone on this forum may know folks more local. You could post in the "Science" type forum here, go to the "City Data forum" link at the top of this page, scroll down to "General Forums," and you'll see it there, if no one jumps in here about it.
GG
Thanks!

Old 01-24-2011, 03:33 AM
Ody

Location: Right there, next time out, look I could be right next ;or in front of you
125 posts, read 137,557 times
Big John // I picked up your post the 21st and have waited for OP that may have seen the same.
Where in Asheville did you see this missile ??
and in what direction were you facing ??
and how high off the horizon was it when you saw it ??
Ody

Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 AM

349 posts, read 492,158 times
I saw on one of the science channel this week that the venerable F-15 can climb from take-off to 40,000 feet in only 45 seconds which is pretty much vertical climb. Unless you were really close it may have been hard to see the near earth activity before the climb began. So, it could have been a jet jock. Probably would need a refueling after such a departure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina