Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:38 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,509 times

Advertisements

OMG.....NEVER did I plan on a move to the mountains to find what I had at home (Florida) I drove thru Boone to get to my county and there were traffic lights and big box stores.....honest...I elimanated those towns! I felt like I was on Federal Highway in Florida only instead of beaches I was surrounded by mountains....don't try to change anything cause some of us LOVE it the way it is.....I LOVE COUNTRY ROADS....OMG...if you do decide to move here....I hope that is what you are looking for! IMO...Asheville is a city in the mountains...if that is what you want..COOL BEANS...you'll find it! I wanted the Country!!!!!! I LOVE IT! PLEASE!!!!! LET ME BE...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2011, 12:49 AM

606 posts, read 1,978,401 times
LOL, Trust me, there are LOTS of remote country roads in Watauga County!! Boone just happens to be in a very small, very congested valley. Those big box stores come in handy from time to time!

Old 02-05-2011, 07:42 AM

451 posts, read 1,565,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
LOL, Trust me, there are LOTS of remote country roads in Watauga County!! Boone just happens to be in a very small, very congested valley. Those big box stores come in handy from time to time!
Especially if there is a college university situated in town.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:54 PM

Hay...LOL...I didn't go to college when I was IN college.....I'm not looking for a college town now! I subscribe to the belief that if I can't find it in my town...I DON'T NEED IT! I can always drive an hour thru BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY roads and find traffic lights!

Old 02-06-2011, 06:14 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
Hay...LOL...I didn't go to college when I was IN college.....I'm not looking for a college town now! I subscribe to the belief that if I can't find it in my town...I DON'T NEED IT! I can always drive an hour thru BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY roads and find traffic lights!
Ok, I hear ya big time. i'm with ya. But are you saying that the Big Box stores are coming to Boone now?

Is Boone getting overgrown and city-like? Is that what you are saying?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:50 AM

There are big box stores on 321 in Boone and traffic lights and traffic!!!! They even have left turn lanes! I don't mind a day trip to Boone if I want to go to Staples, TJ Maxx etc, but that wasn't what I was looking for when I bought my farmhouse. Every time I come home from Boone I feel SOOOO HAPPY to be in rural Western NC! I've met wonderful people who's families are part of the history of the mountains....lol...I wasn't looking for Floridians when I bought here!!!!! It's been over 5 years and I still feel euphoria every day I'm just not the Country Club type...never have been and never will be! As the song goes....I can see for miles and miles....and that is just the way I like it!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,880,321 times
Quote:
Every time I come home from Boone I feel SOOOO HAPPY to be in rural Western NC! I've met wonderful people who's families are part of the history of the mountains
See, there is ALWAYS a good part !

Old 02-07-2011, 02:36 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,171 times
Quote:
There are big box stores on 321 in Boone and traffic lights and traffic!!!! They even have left turn lanes! I don't mind a day trip to Boone if I want to go to Staples, TJ Maxx etc, but that wasn't what I was looking for when I bought my farmhouse. Every time I come home from Boone I feel SOOOO HAPPY to be in rural Western NC! I've met wonderful people who's families are part of the history of the mountains....lol...I wasn't looking for Floridians when I bought here!!!!! It's been over 5 years and I still feel euphoria every day I'm just not the Country Club type...never have been and never will be! As the song goes....I can see for miles and miles....and that is just the way I like it!
You might be better served registering your complaints with your fellow Floridian snowbirds, though I have my doubts they'll be well received.

Old 02-07-2011, 03:10 PM

112 posts, read 317,246 times
Personally I get VERY excited when I see or hear of a new "box store" being built in the area.

I do actually feel for you all who move here wanting that secluded lifestyle, but you have to realize that you chose to move to an area that has become one of the most popular place to live in the south east. Magazines feature it, news papers write about it, websites rank it & TV shows explore it.

Your idea to get away & live in a small rural area in Western NC is not a unique idea, people from all over the country had the exact same idea you had. So areas are booming, growth is happening & no part of Western NC is unaffected by this sudden popularity.

With that being said how can you not understand why large companies & business want to build there. They too see the growth & attention the area gets & they can see great potential for profit especially if there is little to no competition.

Take Weaverville for example, in the past it was always seen as a quiet sleepy little town just outside Asheville & on the edge of Madison county. The areas population was quite small, it's popularity was null, very few people ever thought about living there. It was just one of those little towns where the majority of the population was people who were born & raised there. Every now & then someone from outside the area might move there for what ever reason but in general people never saw it as a relocation destination. So the area had a small Ingles, a few fast food places, Roses & a scattering of small local business. The population of the area did not warrant having a "big box" store.

However in recent years Weaverville's population has exploded, it is now one of the most desired places outside Asheville to live. People from all over the country come to WNC with the specific intent of living in Weaverville. Because of its sudden growth it caught the eye of a few business such as Lowes & Walmart, they saw potential for profit. I am quite sure that those will not be the last, many other business will catch on to the boom of the town & they too will open new business there. Making Weaverville less & less like the sleepy little town it use to be & more of a metropolitan area.

If you truly want to live in a small rural area with the hopes of it staying a small rural area. then you should choose a town that is not popular, not listed anywhere as one of Americas top places to live or any top lists. Chose an area that has shown little to no growth in the past 10 years. Choose a place like what you want but not somewhere that everyone else wants.

Old 02-07-2011, 04:54 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
Quote:
There are big box stores on 321 in Boone and traffic lights and traffic!!!! They even have left turn lanes!
Oh, the horror! Gimme a friggin break here, are you serious? Left turn lanes, oh mah gawd we're all gonna die! I don't know how you got the notion that Boone did NOT have those things, but you must have been getting your information from a pretty crappy source. I am always amazed to see such tremendous idealism in grown adults; this little rant sounds like something a young college freshman at UNCA would be complaining about. "Ugh, these fascist Wal-Marts are making my dreadlocks hurt!"

Anywhere that there is natural beauty, there will be people who want to live there, especially when the climate is warm and sunny (or hot and miserable in my book). It's just something you have to deal with. And don't be too surprised if in 20 years, your remote little corner of WNC, wherever it is, has traffic lights and left turns lanes too. This area is doing nothing but grow, and FAST! That, along with the miserably hot Southern climate, is why I'm headed North, where the climate and living conditions keep out all those who do not REALLY want to live there.

Honestly, this is the most beautiful place I have ever lived, and I will always look fondly upon my time here. I have been lucky enough to call this place home for several years, and I will be here a few years more. But there comes a time when you have to size up reality and decide whether to make a move or stay. Me, I'm making a move; I don't want to be here when Asheville metro area's population breaks a half million. Also, don't think I'm one of the outrageously pessimistic types who just hates life and thinks everything sucks. I'm not; I love this place for so many reasons. However, there are just other places I love more, and that is where I'm headed.

Sorry for the diatribe folks, but people with unrealistic expectations and/or idealistic views of the world just drive me nuts. I'm sure you are a very nice person, but you've gotta open your eyes and realize that the population is on the rise everywhere, and that trend will not be reversed in our lifetime. If you want true seclusion and less people, you will have to move WAY farther from civilization than somewhere within a short drive to Boone. At least, by my definition of seclusion, that is. (Also, using the acronym "OMG" does not predispose people to take your post very seriously.)

Last edited by ShipOfFools42; 02-07-2011 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina