Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:56 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,228,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I think the blowing rock comment was to the actual tourist trap thing. Which i agree is tacky. and I also second biltmore. The prices have gotten ridiculous. In fact, its a few dollars shy of a ticket to disney for the day....thats sad, especially just to walk through somones house....
I think there's only one good way to see Biltmore Estate. Private, guided tour. Costs more, immensely satisfying. They'll let you go behind all the ropes.

The library and the adjoining room where George Vanderbilt took all his recent acquisitions? Neato.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2011, 06:04 AM

121 posts, read 277,906 times
For those of you who live in the area you might want to consider a season pass to Biltmore.... It cost less than two visits to the house and you can go whenever you want. My wife and I got them as a present this year and have found the grounds of the estate a great place to spend a Sunday and teach our son to ride his bike and just hang out. Haven't even been in the house yet, but we love the grounds and biking trails.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:23 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang33 View Post
Thanks Ody,
I am the am the person who sent the original post. I definitely did not intend a negative response (such as I hate......). I love, love, love, the whole area of Western North Carolina. As you mentioned I am asking for the spot you think in overpublicized. As an example I love Asheville and West Asheville, but, I too think it may be a little overpublicized. I realize there is a fine line. My intent is to produce a thought provoking idea to those who reads the thread. An example is Black Mountain...it appears as though some people love it and others do not. Good food for thought, I would not head to the area and determine my our feelings. I do love Waynesville, it is overpublicized? No. I do agree with Quilter Chick and Cofga, the Cherokee area may be a little overpublicized. Again, the topic is to provide an opportunity to think. Not to knock the most beautiful area in the nation.
Mustang, thanks for the clarification, but I'm still confused about just what it is you're asking. You keep using the term "overpublicized", so maybe you could help us understand what you mean by that. To me that term refers to advertising or other media exposure. I don't believe anywhere in NC is overpublicized by that definition. I see occasional commercials for the Biltmore House, and an Grandfather Mountain or Harrah's ad every now and then, but they're certainly not ubiquitous so there's no way I'd say they are overpublicized.

But then you stray from "overpublicized" by mentioning "some people love it and others not" about Black Mountain. I've never seen an ad about Black Mountain, so I don't see how anyone could say it's overpublicized. So why talk about Black Mountain? And even if there were tons of advertising and media exposure there, why would that make me not like the place? As I said in my earlier post, the amount of publicity a place gets usually has very little to do with whether one likes it or not.

I'm really trying to figure out what you're really getting at here--perhaps are you thinking more of "touristy" rather than "overpublicized"? If so, then that's a totally different question, and I'm sure it would generate much different responses.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:45 AM

1 posts, read 1,489 times
The correct answer is the smell of the Canton paper mill...

Love going through Canton on 215 to hike, love eating at Black Bear Cafe, don't love the smell in downtown canton.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:42 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,154,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsprophecy View Post
The correct answer is the smell of the Canton paper mill...

Love going through Canton on 215 to hike, love eating at Black Bear Cafe, don't love the smell in downtown canton.

So you're saying the smell of the mill is overpublicized?

Old 02-14-2011, 12:05 PM

19 posts, read 50,497 times
Hi arbunc,

Yes, touristy may be a better term than overpublicized. There are a vast number of replies that have added to the post. As I mentioned, I really wanted to get opinions on areas that we all hear about as beautiful and enlightening but, then, once we get there we feel a little let down. Again, this is not meant to be a negative thread. One person's enjoyment may be another's disappointment. I enjoy mavsprophecy's response. That is, he/she enjoys Canton for the hiking and
Black Bear Cafe. There is also a downside according the mavsprophecy and that is the smell. Those are honest thoughts without being negative.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:24 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Oh good grief
Well, he did say he was quite sure he was the only person who got bored on the Parkway! Is that not allowed?

I thought it was kinda humorous.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:20 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCbadwolf View Post
I know I am alone on this, but I HATE the parkway, I HATE doing anything out on the national forests. Being a native to the mtns, when I go out of the parkway, to me it is nothing more than mountains & trees, mile after mile of mountains & trees. Every corner you come around guess what you see? More mountains & trees. I also hate taking the interstate because of that, nothing to look at but mountains & trees. If I wanted to see mountains & trees I could look out any window in my home.

I am quite sure I am the only one who feels that way. I can understand the appeal of it for those who did not grow up & spend their entire lives looking at it. But for me, the thrill is gone
Now tsk tsk, WNCbadwolf - you already answered: Haywood Road.

I, on the other hand, would have to answer Cherokee. Not a gambler, and only went because I had family from Cary, NC here visiting who have endless amounts of money to blow.

I love the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:24 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Default Least fave spots

Candy, evidently Paula Deen likes it over there. Have to say though, y'all, we are not big fans of her restaurants either. Maybe the gamblers and the smokers will love it. Ick.

Another least fave is Marion. Oh well. That is why they make chocolate and vanilla .. y'all.

Old 02-15-2011, 09:41 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,404,404 times
I've noticed a lot of people aren't crazy about Marion.

My grandmother told me that even the most beautiful places have ugly or disappointing places. It's true . . . everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina