Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2011, 08:09 PM

5 posts, read 12,189 times

Advertisements

Thank you for any advice & help! We are looking to relocate to Asheville area...We are researching now and love area!

We are wondering areas to look at that have good schools - doing research online now but looking for some quick insight if possible...
Wondering if possible to find a 4BR home $250k in good school system -with 1/2 hour or less commute to downtown?
THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 08:25 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Not sure about a 4 BR, but a nice 3 BR is very doable in a good neighborhood.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:46 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,943,410 times
The T.C. Roberson and A.C. Reynolds school districts are considered two of the best in the region. They are both south of Asheville with about a 1/2 hour, more or less, commute to downtown. It all depends on your location in the school district. Reynolds High School is off of 74A (Charlotte Highway) and Roberson is off of Long Shoals, which for location purposes is shortly off of 25 (Hendersonville Road).

Some of the areas to look around for the Reynolds School District would be Fairview. For the Roberson School District, you could consider places like Biltmore Park, Skyland, Royal Pines, Arden, Avery Creek and Buncombe County part of Fletcher. Those are just a few names, and I may have missed a few, but it gets you in the general area.

As for the 250K price and bedrooms, you'll need to search that out for yourself. There's newer developments in the Fairview area where you may find the 4 bd that you're looking for, but the prices might be out of your range. Older houses will generally provide fewer bedrooms but are more likely to provide the price you're seeking. However, take a look around and see what you find.

Areas like Royal Pines, Arden, Avery Creek, Fletcher (Bun Cty) in the Roberson School District will also have expensive homes, but the older homes can also provide the price range you're seeking. Again, take a look around for your 4 bd qualification. It's as easy as a search on any of the area real estate websites.

I hope that has helped identify a few of the areas to start your search and that you can find something in the price range you're seeking. Even though, in my broad generalization, it seems like the house you want wouldn't be available, don't think that way. It wouldn't be good. I'm sure that there's something out there for you, especially since prices have come down over the past few years. Something that might have been 350K+ a few years ago could easily be in the 250K range, today. Good luck!

Old 03-11-2011, 12:03 PM

Just looking for an example, I ran a quick and dirty search of a local real estate website for a 4bd under 250K in the Roberson School District. i cam up with a bunch. Just so I don't look like I'm recommending a particular agency, I'll link to the property off the generic realtor.com. Here it is:

MLS #474876

Now I'm not recommending this property, the agency or the realtor. I don't know any of them. It's just one house that came up.

I did notice one thing. It doesn't have vinyl siding. That surprises me at this price point. It's fiber cement siding, which you don't commonly see on houses in the 200 range.

Again, good luck with your search.

I'll let you look up others, or houses in the Reynolds Schoold District, on your own.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-11-2011 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Links to specific properties for sale are NOT allowed.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:09 PM

Just run the MLS number above at you favorite Asheville R/E site for just one example. It appears that I can't give you the direct link. Sorry.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:50 AM

5 posts, read 12,189 times
THANKS GARTH - appreciate your insight -this is REALLY helpful! It does look like there will be options - yay!
Thanks again so much!!

Old 03-15-2011, 10:14 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,493 times
Here is a good site to check on NC schools NC School Report Cards I just posted it on another thread as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina