U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 10:55 AM

7 posts, read 8,927 times

Advertisements

Hi, We're from Cleveland O. and would like comments about our route thru the WNC mountains. Overnight in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. Next day destination would be Asheville, via 441 to Bryson City then to Whitewater/Looking Glass falls at Brevard, Pacolet River Scenic Byway to Tryon and finallly Asheville. 2 nites in Asheville then back north via Little Switzerland, Blowing Rock, Boone to 77N. 1200 mile loop. Any recommendations would be grateful and thanks ahead of time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 06:37 PM

1,092 posts, read 3,140,610 times
I am going to assume you are going out of Asheville on the Blueridge Parkway. Stop at mile marker 312 and have a bite at Christa's Country Corner Cafe. It is one of my favorite stops. The Moses Cone House is another. If you don't have time to follow the Parkway to I-77 take US421 SOUTH (it runs almost directly east) to I-77.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Thanks hapaleeretired, We always value advice on good eating. I think I found Christa's on gmaps, street view shows a monster truck in the parking lot? If your name suggests that you are retired, so am I, but my wife still works. Friday we had 6" of heavy wet snow, so we hope to catch some early spring in your neck of the woods. We have no set plans because our handicap kid will determine what we do and where we go. Thanks for suggesting US-421, I will keep it in mind.

Old 03-13-2011, 12:24 PM

Sorry, I just noticed that you are from Indy, I mistakenly assumed you were a local. And so I'll chance another mistake and assume you are well traveled. If so, I envy you.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:48 PM

9,451 posts, read 7,568,284 times
Not sure when you plan to visit WNC, but be aware that the higher parts of the Blue Ridge Parkway may be closed until later in the spring, due to ice and/or snow. I expect the BRP website can provide the dates and road conditions. I believe the Pisgah Inn is closed during the winter months - not sure about the Moses Cone area or the Parkway craft center just outside of Asheville. Perhaps locals can provide more info.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:08 AM

Thanks everyone, leaving Cleveland Ohio this morning. We will have some wet driving in northern Ohio but for the rest of the week the weather prediction looks excellent for NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina