Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 04:35 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
And I had no idea what you were talking about with the "Ish da," and "Fi da," until I Googled it, haha.
Hehe, yeah it's not so common around here. Here's the basics:
  • "Uff Da" is when you hear about it laying in the road
  • "Ish Da" is when you smell it as you step over it
  • "Fi Da" is when you step in it
That's the basics.

Otherwise, I like fried alright. I'm just not used to so much being fried. I'm trying my best on lots of different stuff, but it's hard to get past some things.

Just don't ask me about Lutefisk. It's certainly not southern, but I absolutely love it. Lots of people would, and do, find it the most disgusting thing they ever heard about, saw and or tasted. So, I guess I've got my own problems.

Last edited by garth; 03-20-2011 at 04:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
Well, folks, I broke down and went the few blocks to the IHop and got me some scrambled eggs and grits. THANKS A LOT FOR MAKING ME GO DOWN THERE, the "grit" would have been better instant at home. Problem is, my taste and smell is all goofed up from chemo, and the eggs did not suit me (I'll wait till my taste comes back later to finish them), but the grits YES they was good, yum, yum, despite being greasy, and I ate plenty of both before I stuck them in frig, will gnaw on them later after carryout plastic smell goes away. GG

Old 03-25-2011, 10:11 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
hey, thanks for going the extra mile (for me and you ). I promise I will give them a try - after we moved . hope your taste buds recover as speedy as the rest of you!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:14 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
Bavaria, thanks. I haven't been out to a restaurant for breakfast in YEARS, so it was indeed a special event. But don't eat them at IHop, or if you do, go to the one on Tunnel Rd when it's busy (food is hotter). BEST is to get grits at a good eaterie downtown, especially Tupelo Honey Cafe right on the smaller Pritchard Park, ask for extra butter.

Yeah, my taste comes and goes, and in fact, at the Woman's Cancer Clinic I go to in town, they have warnings not to wear perfume becuz of taste and smell issues. I mean, I'm even offended by all that bacteria-lotion junk IN the clinic. Oh, well, it's nowhere near as serious as OTHER side effects, muscle pain, madness, SO tired, fed up and angry over the whole thing. That's illness for you, comes outta nowhere and takes down a perfectly good person and turns them into wimpering wasted wolverines. I NEED MORPHINE with my grit.

Old 03-25-2011, 07:01 PM

358 posts, read 982,593 times
If you want good grits, go to Five Points down on Broadway. That's where you go for a real breakfast. And it's not infested with hipsters, or at least it hadn't been, the last time I was there.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:47 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,223,416 times
I can't believe nobody mentioned Cowboy Caviar!!!!! Bon appetit y'all!!!!

Old 04-03-2011, 08:56 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
I am off to get ingredients for the sweet potato casserole. but feel free to tell me about cowboy caviar. I got a picture in my head, but think/hope it's totally wrong

Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 PM

10 posts, read 19,044 times
Was just in Asheville this weekend. Had some awesome Goat Cheese Grits from Tupelo Honey Cafe (along with some biscuits, cornbread and mac & cheese...there was soo much to choose from!) and some Sweet Potato Tater Tots, which were really good too. That was the first time I had ever seen Sweet Potato Tater Tots!

Old 04-05-2011, 01:02 PM

63 posts, read 152,093 times
LOL, OMGosh, Josh - some of us in the South do eat rye bread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina