Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 03:26 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,280,003 times

Advertisements

You should never drive across center line especially on a blind curve just slow it down the roads in this state are design for a car to maintain in their lane in a curve.
What if your hope isnt in your favor then you run risk of running someone off side of the mountain or if you both could go down the mountainside.

I lived on the other side of the Appalachians in Kentucky for a few years a hour from Cumberland. The mpountains are mostly rock & coal seams.
On KY state hwy 463 there literally curves you can see back end of your car. As soon as you exit a curve your literally entering a curve in other direction. There was also coal truck semis that you also had to share road with. Imagine going up and down Sugar Mountain 4 times.
I stayed down this one lane mountain road in holler that took me 5 miles to get home.

321 on Blowing Rock side is a cake walk compared to 321 from Boone to Tenn.
Also peep keep in mind of potential of water running off side of the mountain making road slick.

Its ok if you go slow just try to keep the posted speed they are generally 5mphs over what is safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 04:30 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,539,532 times
PRND321,
Not being a smartazz, I still don't get the point of your OP.
Driving anywhere in the real mountains of western NC will always yield much worse mpg than driving down a highway at a steady speed, even a hilly highway.

Not sure what a "270 degree turn"...

Most driving instruction suggests braking before the turn, and sometimes in the initial apex of a turn, (also called late trail braking).

Your crossing the center line, or driving down the middle of the road, for whatever reason(s), is the reason I'm considering hanging up my 4 motorcycles after riding since 1964; I experience too much of that while riding here in Western NC.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:58 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,177,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
321 on Blowing Rock side is a cake walk compared to 321 from Boone to Tenn.
No doubt. Anyone looking for a real crash course in mountain driving should take 421 from Boone up to Bristol, TN. That part out past Mountain City is definitely an adventure.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,448,309 times
Oh dear.

I really think you need to go get a private driving instructor to teach you to drive in the mountains.......Not trying to be mean but you should NEVER be "riding in the middle on a curve". If you don't know how to use your brake properly, I'd say its time to get some help.... Your lack of skills is not only putting yourself in danger, but all of those that are around you.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:54 PM

172 posts, read 475,266 times
wow....thats about all i can say to the OP's last post....just wow....

Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,426,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND321 View Post
I still haven't figured out how to drive on the mnt... My car gets the best gas mileage at 40-60mph. On my trip to Asheville I got 26mpg but after I came back to the mnt it never pass 20mpg......
Boone is higher than Asheville, and yes it does take more gas to uphill than down hill. Gas mileage will be lower in the mountains, common sense should tell you this.

The good news you will also get less miles out of a set of tires with mountain driving.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,426,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Oh dear.

I really think you need to go get a private driving instructor to teach you to drive in the mountains.......Not trying to be mean but you should NEVER be "riding in the middle on a curve". If you don't know how to use your brake properly, I'd say its time to get some help.... Your lack of skills is not only putting yourself in danger, but all of those that are around you.

Agreed There are techniques to driving in all kinds of conditions from dead flat 20 mile straight a ways in the desert to goat trails on a mountain side.

The OP is apparently using the knot in the stomach and white knuckles technique for mountain driving, which isn't a good technique.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:04 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,425,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRND321 View Post
I still haven't figured out how to drive on the mnt... My car gets the best gas mileage at 40-60mph. On my trip to Asheville I got 26mpg but after I came back to the mnt it never pass 20mpg......
The problem with mnt driver is I can't keep constant speed. Around where I live there are a lof of roads with 15mph/25mph next 2 miles but obviously that's not the speed most ppl drive. But sometimes I feel kinda losing control of the car(crossing the center line on a 2-lane mnt road) if I make a 270 degrees+ turn at 45mph....... I guess that's cuz I don't use brake in most turns.........
And there are many mnt roads without a center line... just two narrow for 2 cars.. I usually just drive in the middle and hoping there won't be incoming traffic at blind turns......

We live in fear of drivers like you ! Maybe you need to be back in the flatlands before you kill someone. Seriously.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:04 PM

729 posts, read 1,497,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
my husband would love to buy a motorbike - but exactly those guys, who cut lanes without even noticing, are scaring me.
I once witnessed a motorcycle going wide on a curve. The van in front of me just missed nailing him. Scared everyone who saw it. People need to learn to stay in their own lane!

Old 03-28-2011, 01:43 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,539,532 times
I ride my m'cycles 5-6,000 miles a year, (7 months of riding), all over western NC; I see cars running wide on curves every time I ride...not sure what is worse, the cellphone gabbers/texters or the 'can't drive in the mtns' gang. I rarely venture out on weekends. I've been riding since '64 and I am thinking of calling it a day, hobby-wise.

Fabulous two lane blacktops with fairly empty roads, and breathtaking views: that remains the allure.
GL, mD

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina