U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 06:41 PM

371 posts, read 1,141,640 times

Advertisements

Well, seems like Asheville is what fits my needs. However, as I read around (newbie here) I see a LOT of negativity toward "yankees" moving to NC as well as discussion about the huge migration to NC that is having negative effects there. Can anyone share how Asheville (and immediate surrounding areas) fare on these issues? (Acceptance of northerners, esp. a hispanic one like myself, and dealing with increased migration or "sprawl").
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2006, 06:49 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,519,551 times
With all the negative talk. I congratulate your effort to come fourth.

Old 08-27-2006, 08:05 PM

463 posts, read 1,493,015 times
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
Well, seems like Asheville is what fits my needs. However, as I read around (newbie here) I see a LOT of negativity toward "yankees" moving to NC as well as discussion about the huge migration to NC that is having negative effects there. Can anyone share how Asheville (and immediate surrounding areas) fare on these issues? (Acceptance of northerners, esp. a hispanic one like myself, and dealing with increased migration or "sprawl").
I'm confused. There were several responses to your initial post all of which indicated that Asheville met the criteria you were seeking with the exception of the job prospects in your husband's field. I don't think that's changed since the time that you asked.

Chapel Hill/ Carrboro are two other areas I'd suggest. They've been diverse melting pots for umpteen years. I'm from Chapel Hill. I must warn ya though, I doubt there is any place in the state that will measure up to your husband's "foodie criteria." Y'all in New York have so much great ethnic food.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 08-27-2006 at 08:24 PM..

Old 11-21-2006, 09:13 AM

1 posts, read 4,474 times
Default Re-thinking Asheville

I moved to Asheville from upstate South Carolina 3 years ago and it was a mistake. The actual cost of living in the mountains is outrageous. Mid-market jobs that pay $60-90k are almost unheard of so you have low unemployment but very high UNDERemployment with over-qualified people working for less than $10/hour.
I'm in the HP/recruiting business and I'm constantly warning people about moving here and expecting to earn a living wage. This is a desirable place to be if you already have money, so the cost of housing is through the roof. I honestly don't know how most of the people here make ends meet.

I love the mountains but I can't afford to live here. I'm off back to SC after the holidays where my old company are offering me almost 25% more than I'm currently making. I'll have to be content visiting Asheville at weekends in the new car that I'll be able to afford once I'm out of here!

BR

Old 11-21-2006, 10:44 AM

894 posts, read 2,248,367 times
Yeah, you hit the nail right on the head. I've been warning potential movers to Asheville on this forum of the job market woes for months now. There are very very few of those jobs in that pay range that you stated. If I were to lose my job, which falls in that range, I'd definitely have to move, without a doubt. It's a nice place to live, but a hard place to afford and make a comfortable living at.

Old 11-22-2006, 04:53 PM

463 posts, read 1,493,015 times
Thank you for such an honest and informative post. Roxors has hung in as long as I've been a forum member ( and probably before) trying to warn people of the poor job situation in Asheville but it seems that people don't want to hear it.

I very much appreciate your posting this especially since you're a recruiter. Best wishes with your move back to SC!

Regards,

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
I moved to Asheville from upstate South Carolina 3 years ago and it was a mistake. The actual cost of living in the mountains is outrageous. Mid-market jobs that pay $60-90k are almost unheard of so you have low unemployment but very high UNDERemployment with over-qualified people working for less than $10/hour.

I'm in the HP/recruiting business and I'm constantly warning people about moving here and expecting to earn a living wage. This is a desirable place to be if you already have money, so the cost of housing is through the roof. I honestly don't know how most of the people here make ends meet.

I love the mountains but I can't afford to live here. I'm off back to SC after the holidays where my old company are offering me almost 25% more than I'm currently making. I'll have to be content visiting Asheville at weekends in the new car that I'll be able to afford once I'm out of here!

BR

Last edited by Cassie; 11-22-2006 at 05:13 PM..

Old 11-23-2006, 01:01 PM

16 posts, read 84,959 times
Hi guys. My wife and I are looking to retire early and leave Jersey. Many are doing so in droves! $450k for a Cape on a 75x150 with $5300 prop taxes and we're paying much lower than the average!

Moving to another state and buying a house for cash is extremely attractive. Now you know why NC is being inundated by Yankees! We've visited New Bern, the Raleigh Area and Asheville and like what we see.

We have one big question and we hope that no one is offended but...why is there such a disparity of home pride and maintenance even within very desirable areas? We're not talking new developments of course but those quaint established neighborhoods that are in abundance. Why are there 4 good-looking homes in a row and then one which is falling apart with a refrigerator on the front porch and a car engine in the front yard? Given that most of the homes are nice, this would make us absolutely not buy in that area. Why don't people tear down their 100 yr old sheds and out-buildings? These are eyesores that would never be accepted in a middle class neighborhood like ours.

Please don't think we're stuck up. We're not. I'm a letter carrier struggling to keep my head above water. So please tell me why there seems to be less 'pride' in home ownership in the south in general.

Old 11-23-2006, 05:06 PM

79 posts, read 332,028 times
njbites to answer your ? Actually I think its the difference between rural vs city or suburban living not south vs north ( I am from NY state now live in NC and believe me the housing up keep and condition can be very spotty in the western part of new york state) I think some of the areas you have seen in the south are a mix because the new- city suburban people are mixed in with the rural people. good luck w/ your move

Old 11-24-2006, 05:14 AM

33,954 posts, read 32,424,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
I see your post is from August but you'd be hard pressed to find a person in Asheville who sounds like they come from there originally. In fact, I heard more people who "tawked like me" when I was there. I did not like Asheville probably for the same reasons why the natives left.

Old 11-24-2006, 03:00 PM

16 posts, read 84,959 times
Is there anyone out there who has retired to NC? Can you tell me when, where and why?

I understand why young people would have a hard time making it there, after all, I'm at the Jersey shore and no one can make it here, that's for sure.

But NC and other states look attractive to us older guys because we can buy a house there with 1/2 what we sell our house for up here! For $1200.00 a yr taxes instead of $6500.00!

So, any retirees out there have any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or