U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-28-2006, 06:00 AM

4 posts, read 30,310 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are considering relocating to Asheville, however, we are a gay couple and we're not sure what the "climate" is like there. Are people accepting of this lifestyle in the Asheville area, or is this lifestyle frowned upon? Also, is there an gay "community" in the city that fosters activities, events, etc.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 11:38 AM

957 posts, read 3,168,826 times
It is probably the most gay friendly city in North Carolina.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:05 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,378,278 times
All large cities have that sort of community, but my guess would be the Raleigh-Durham Metro Area much more than the City of Asheville as far as North Carolina goes. Other than that, Atlanta & Washington, DC.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:12 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,817,988 times
Why are we hearing so many moving to NC? What does the state have to offer?

Old 08-28-2006, 12:15 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,378,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Beats me.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Its easy to own a gun there. Most of the guns we have in NYC come from Carolina.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:10 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,817,988 times
Interesting. So NC doesn't accept their lifestyle and thus they are forced to carry guns. Then why move to NC. Pick another state then. I guess the poster has his answer

Old 08-28-2006, 03:12 PM

1,531 posts, read 5,282,419 times
Asheville has a tight-knit gay community from what I've noticed. In other words, not as big and encompassing as Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte...but definitely a good sizeable contingent in the urban parts of Asheville, and pretty well-accepted by the city's locals.

I wouldn't settle in an outlying area of it though....once you step outside of downtown Asheville you go from "mini-SanFransisco" to "Rednek ****ry" real fast!

It's probably a better place for gay couples than gay singles, since it is a significantly smaller town....the gay community is compact enough to where "everybody knows your name".

Old 08-28-2006, 03:37 PM

2,657 posts, read 5,040,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonros18 View Post
My partner and I are considering relocating to Asheville, however, we are a gay couple and we're not sure what the "climate" is like there. Are people accepting of this lifestyle in the Asheville area, or is this lifestyle frowned upon? Also, is there an gay "community" in the city that fosters activities, events, etc.
While we have people here who fear they'll catch gay, just being around that group, corporations lead the way in making this state more open to domestic partners (straight and gay) by offering benefits

http://www.newsobserver.com/104/story/476473.html (broken link)

Old 08-29-2006, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
Asheville has a tight-knit gay community from what I've noticed. In other words, not as big and encompassing as Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte...but definitely a good sizeable contingent in the urban parts of Asheville, and pretty well-accepted by the city's locals.

I wouldn't settle in an outlying area of it though....once you step outside of downtown Asheville you go from "mini-SanFransisco" to "Rednek ****ry" real fast!

It's probably a better place for gay couples than gay singles, since it is a significantly smaller town....the gay community is compact enough to where "everybody knows your name".
Raleigh Rob hit the nail on the head. The small urban core of Asheville is very gay friendly and the city has done a lot to market it as such. However, outside of town...not so much. I have heard Asheville described as a city of snobs surrounded by hillbillies.
I have watched several different segments of these relocation and renovations shows, that featured gay couples in Asheville. They always talk about the acceptance in Asheville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina