Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:04 AM

18 posts, read 125,153 times

Advertisements

First of all, I didn't see anyone mention that a lot of the people the "others" are complaining about aren't even true locals.

I'm born/raised mountain girl whose great greats way back were the ones who settled my home county (and a few others too)... I am so proud to be of Applachian heritage and the unique culture I experienced has help me to flourish in EVERY new environment I've entered from big city to coastal community.

One of my biggest issues w/Asheville is that the people who have given it the stereotype are not even really from Asheville. The uber-liberals (I'm liberal too, trust me) from across the state/region come to Asheville to congregate with other uber-liberals. They buy condos, start drum circles, and try and initiate battles w/"outsiders" that honest to God locals wouldn't waste precious breath fighting.

TRUE mountain people are tolerant, understanding, and would give you the clothes off of their back if you were in need. I'm not just spouting prose for the innernets, I've seen it happen. I grew up helping organize fund raisers and raffles. I helped my grandparents hand out extra food from the garden. Hell, when I was home for Thanksgiving, I made twice as much as we could eat just so my parents would have enough to carry plates to their friends.

That's what we do... that's how we live... and even surly, arrogant fools can't change that inner peace. My blood boils when I hear my region criticized... but it doesn't boil b/c I feel attacked... it boils b/c almost always, the one doing the criticizing has NO CLUE what they are talking about... and that is offensive b/c they never took the time to learn who the real mountain people (or NC people) truly are and how they live...

I love the posts directly above these that talk about leaving things better than how you find them and holding off criticism... You are not Cortez and we won't let you kill us all w/your disease... You are not nuns and we aren't going to let you convert us to your new fangled religion... This is our land, our culture, our heritage... and if you don't care for it, the world is a HUGE place and I have no doubt that you won't be able to find one equally as beautiful but more suited to your individual needs...

Thanks for letting me rant, this is SO much better than the four dozen supervision charts I need to complete...

Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 AM

63 posts, read 182,245 times
Default Help

My wife and I are considering moving from Michigan to North Carolina, the areas we are considering are Asheville, Wilmington, or the Raleigh area. I am a teacher and my wife is a nurse so we are in the process of trying to secure jobs in the same area. We have four children and we are in our 30's. We want a safe area with a great school system and a lot to offer as far as entertainment as such. Anyone have any suggestions or advice we would be greatful.
Thanks

Old 02-06-2008, 11:17 AM

648 posts, read 2,971,846 times
Funny, our neighbors are both teachers (one preschool, one montessori) that moved from Michigan two years ago.

Anyways... Asheville has safety, entertainment, and some very good schools, but there isn't really a high demand for teachers. My wife will be going back to teaching here in a few years. I hope there's a job available that she likes. I'm not sure what the situation is in Wilmington, but there is a shortage in the Raleigh area.

There's a thread going on Weaverville, Arden, Fairview that you should check out.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:43 AM

92 posts, read 368,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goblue1231 View Post
My wife and I are considering moving from Michigan to North Carolina, the areas we are considering are Asheville, Wilmington, or the Raleigh area. I am a teacher and my wife is a nurse so we are in the process of trying to secure jobs in the same area. We have four children and we are in our 30's. We want a safe area with a great school system and a lot to offer as far as entertainment as such. Anyone have any suggestions or advice we would be greatful.
Thanks
Hi Blue -

The three areas you mentioned are the fastest growing areas in the state.
I can vouch for the Raleigh are as being a nice area to raise a family. We moved to Raleigh from the DC area in 1990 and haven't looked back. We have six kids so I have a little experience with raising a family here in Raleigh. It's close to the beach and the mountains, it has a great school system, and the home prices haven't risen so much as to price young families out of the market.
Unless you have a serious resume, you may find it a little difficult to get a job as a teacher in the Wake Co. Public School System - I've known teachers who have had to work their way in to the WCPSS by teaching in neighboring counties or at private schools first. Your wife should find it easy to get a job in "the City of Medicine" - we have numerous hospitals here and Raleigh and the major teaching hospitals, UNC and Duke medical schools, right down the road.
You may want to check in to Chapel Hill, NC area. They have probably the best school system in the state but it's a little expensive to live there.
Just my 2 cents.....

Old 02-10-2008, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 19,395 times
Default don't make the same mistake I did

I moved to Asheville about six weeks ago from Portland, OR, and it was, without a doubt, one of the worst decisions I ever made.

There are a lot of cool people here, don't get me wrong. But for every person that you would actually want to have a conversation with, it seems there are two Bible-thumping, racist, fat hillbillies. It is still the south, even if it is supposedly a progressive city.

I am moving back to Portland in another six weeks. I can't stand it here one more day.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:41 PM

652 posts, read 2,258,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrino78 View Post
I moved to Asheville about six weeks ago from Portland, OR, and it was, without a doubt, one of the worst decisions I ever made.

There are a lot of cool people here, don't get me wrong. But for every person that you would actually want to have a conversation with, it seems there are two Bible-thumping, racist, fat hillbillies. It is still the south, even if it is supposedly a progressive city.

I am moving back to Portland in another six weeks. I can't stand it here one more day.
I donno...I'm from NY...born down the lower east side of Manhatten then to Brooklyn then Queens and then LI. Its one of THE most diverse places on the planet...also one of the most tolerant yet I can find racists and idiots in all shapes and colors here yet I don't seem to attract them and if I do I don't push their buttons. sometimes its about how you approach people with different ideas and backgrounds then yours..no matter where you're from.
Many years ago I moved to Nelson County Virginia..up to the hills...a far cry more rural than Asheville. Most people there couldn't even read...I felt the attitute towards me but it didn't take long to get into their heads and put myself into their shoes...long enough to let them know who I was...and when push comes to shove we're really not all that different. We just want some respect and acceptance...like I said...there's idiots and arrogant Aholez in every crowd.
I always found it to be in the journey to get along...I've never expected it to just fall in my lap..when it does..it's gravey.

Its hard to believe that you feel so surrounded by negativity. I'd like to hear why you feel the way you do...with out exaggerating.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:10 AM

2 posts, read 11,932 times
Wink Glad to read post from Singlegirl2008

First off, I'm a raised-in-NYC boy who loves the real, local WNC folks. Maybe because my family roots are in the SW corner of Virginia, right up against the NC/Tenn border area, so I feel at home here even though my family went to NYC to find work in the 1930s. My family name is Grayson--as in "Grayson County," and my late wife's maiden name is Rogers--as in "Mt. Rogers," (the highest mountain in SW Va.) However, I think that it has more to do with my openness and warmth in speaking with the local people when I get the chance to. I don't act all insecure and know-it-all, nor do I act like I'm better than anyone--'cause I'm NOT! I'm friendly and honest and folks tend to treat me in kind.

Just stop thinkin' that you're all that different, treat people with courtesy and respect, and you'll find a lot more acceptance than you may have thought you might. To have a neighbor, you've got to BE a neighbor. It might take folks a while to warm up to a stranger, but give 'em a chance and they just might surprise you. Haven't you learned yet that not everyone's gonna like you no matter where you are, but most people will give you a chance to show them who you are. You just might make a great friend or two by being genuine and warm toward your neighbors. Try volunteering in a community project. Impress your neighbors with your desire to participate in a community--they'll respect you for it, and you never know what goodwill that you'll foster. Beats being seen as an outsider anyday!

Old 02-11-2008, 04:55 AM

187 posts, read 1,020,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrino78 View Post

The only thing I could say about your decision was you DID pick the worst time of year to move here... I moved here years ago not just for the culture of the town, but for the scenery and outdoor opportunities (hiking, camping, kayaking, etc.). Winter time is definitely not when you can make the most of the outdoors here. It's too bad you didn't move in the Spring or Fall, because the people you meet out on the trails are definitely different than the people you meet just walking around downtown.

Sorry it didn't work out for you. At least you are going back to another cool city, though - it was 1st runner up on my places to relocate to when I was doing the analysis a few years ago...

Old 02-13-2008, 10:27 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,423,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandemusser View Post
It's too bad you didn't move in the Spring or Fall, because the people you meet out on the trails are definitely different than the people you meet just walking around downtown.
Oh Plez don't confuse those you run into downtown with anyone that might even consider themselves a native of the area. I haven't been downtown in years, and based on those that prowl the streets of Asheville, that works out just fine. Of my friends that do go downtown, they either have to for work, or they are a recent transplant, and still go to gawk at the freak show.

Downtown is a tourist trap, just like the downtown area of Gatlinburg TN and other areas where tourism is the industry. Downtown is infested with freaks, weirdo's, bums, trustfarians, and transplants that think a place without trees or grass is a good place to live.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:48 AM

187 posts, read 1,020,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Oh Plez don't confuse those you run into downtown with anyone that might even consider themselves a native of the area. I haven't been downtown in years, and based on those that prowl the streets of Asheville, that works out just fine. Of my friends that do go downtown, they either have to for work, or they are a recent transplant, and still go to gawk at the freak show.

Downtown is a tourist trap, just like the downtown area of Gatlinburg TN and other areas where tourism is the industry. Downtown is infested with freaks, weirdo's, bums, trustfarians, and transplants that think a place without trees or grass is a good place to live.
What is the point of your post? Why are you quoting me, exactly?

You haven't been downtown in years, but you seem to have a very specific opinion of who is downtown. Going downtown once in a while could lend some credence to the stuff you are writing.

The person moving back to Portland never implied that he/she was trying to meet "locals", but people he/she wanted to have a conversation with. I just made the observation that moving in the middle of winter does not take advantage of some of the great things the area has to offer, or the kinds of people you meet out on the trails.

I'm guessing this person ran into some pretty bitter, closed-minded people in his/her time here, and based on the description... I question whether they are part of the gentrification / freak / yuppie contingent you seem to take issue with. It probably gave this person an inaccurate picture of the sorts of people that do live here for what Asheville has to offer.

Just my opinion...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina