Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 08:52 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
Excellent pics, WNC-Hiker!
BR, mD

Aren't they?? They made my day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 08:49 AM

229 posts, read 584,913 times
These photos make my heart stop- I want to be in Asheville

Old 05-20-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post

Wow, and I've heard Wyoming is supposed to be THE most beautiful place in America! Of course some of us would rather be in the Blue Ridge Mountains than any other

Old 05-20-2011, 05:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
This is not the desert, and there is a reason that the mountains are called the smokey mountains. It's not just a name, there is a reason, and it is from the natural haze caused by the vegatation that covers the mountains. Haze is a natural part of the environment here.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:50 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vk40 View Post
And I want to be in wyoming. Trade?

Old 05-26-2011, 02:36 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,461 times
^ Ah, you beat me to it! I will trade places with you too. Wyoming is on my short list of places to move to. I need snow!

There are certainly plenty of blue sky days here. I was actually just lamenting how they have been pretty much every day here lately, as a matter of fact. I tend to prefer cloudy days, but the only bad thing about cloudy days is you can't see the mountains as well. I find that the haze that obscures the mountains is only bad when it's hot out. Must be something to do with the heat stirring it up.

And the Smoky Mountains are outrageously beautiful when they're "smoky". Covered in clouds and fog, it's so freaking gorgeous. Driving I-40 to Knoxville is always great for that. In the winter, we have a lot of cloudy days, but on clear days in the winter time, that's when you get really spectacular mountain views. That or autumn. Still, it's beautiful here pretty much all the time.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:15 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,487 times
Ships, lets go halves and head out west!

Also, heat causes the trees to release more gases, between that and the tendency for the heat to hold the more particles it makes hot days hazy. Pretty lame and one of the main reasons, aside from the actual heat, why I hate hate hate summer so much.

And I agree 10000000% about the smokies. One of my favorite memories is driving to work early one morning on the parkway and the clouds were below me and made it look like i was in an ocean. So pretty.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Ships, lets go halves and head out west!

Also, heat causes the trees to release more gases, between that and the tendency for the heat to hold the more particles it makes hot days hazy. Pretty lame and one of the main reasons, aside from the actual heat, why I hate hate hate summer so much.

And I agree 10000000% about the smokies. One of my favorite memories is driving to work early one morning on the parkway and the clouds were below me and made it look like i was in an ocean. So pretty.
You mean like this?

Old 05-27-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wow, and I've heard Wyoming is supposed to be THE most beautiful place in America! Of course some of us would rather be in the Blue Ridge Mountains than any other
Wyoming has quite a few beautiful areas, but much of it is high plains desert. Dry with a lot of sage brush and wide-open spaces. There are many good things about WY, but I long for green!

Old 05-27-2011, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
And I want to be in wyoming. Trade?
Lol- In a heartbeat!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina