Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 10:05 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are considering retiring to WNC, but recently I was told there is Lyme disease in the ticks there. One of the reasons we moved from CT to the Southwest is because of the horrible Lyme disease problems. I am a landscape painter and an avid gardener and outdoor person, and I watched MANY people's lives just devastated from this disease in CT. Of course I lived where Lyme disease is most prevalent, but I have now heard from someone in the Boone area that they know 4 people who have gotten Lyme disease there.

Is it considered a problem only in the higher elevations, and do the doctors know how to treat it aggressively in WNC?

Anyone had any experience with it in WMC?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 11:26 AM

172 posts, read 477,510 times
Iv only found 1 tick on myself in the last 10 years....

And Ticks are not found as commonly above 4000ft to 4500ft in elevation.....

Old 05-23-2011, 11:30 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
That's good to hear about ticks and 4k ft..

how do Drs these days treat Lyme disease vs just sending patience to therapy and tell them to stop faking...

Old 05-23-2011, 12:17 PM

Don't know how they treat it in WNC, but my doctor in CT would put you on a special type of antibiotic the MINUTE you had a tick bite which in CT can be a few times a year. His feeling was to catch it early, even if it wasn't a lyme tick at least you were preventative. I liked that philosophy, and almost none of his patients ever got full blown Lyme disease unless the tick bit them and they didn't see/feel it (like in the scalp).

Old 05-23-2011, 12:19 PM

WNC-Hiker,
That's good to know--thanks.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:23 PM

6,793 posts, read 5,662,429 times
I'm not sure finding a Dr to be that aggressive outside of CT will be easy. Perhaps your Dr in CT can recommend someone in the WNC area?

Old 05-23-2011, 12:52 PM

358 posts, read 786,244 times
Ticks in abundance on my 10 acres in Weaverville at 2400 feet. Where the grass is mowed there are very few. They like taller grass so they can jump on you. If you Google "Lyme disease by state" you will see that it is very rare here. I had the classic "bulleye" once and the doctor was very aggressive; took blood work, photographs and put me on antibiotics. He said they had never seen a case here. Turns out all was well. No Lyme. As stunned as they all were at the clinic that it could be Lyme just confirms to me how rare it is. Good luck with your move and don't worry about it.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:53 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,471,745 times
You have to worry about Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever more than Lyme here. NC is the top state in the nation with cases. My mom ended up getting it last year.

Old 05-23-2011, 01:15 PM

729 posts, read 1,505,787 times
I show dogs and am in contact with people all over the country that also show dogs as well as compete in hunting trials. The North East is horrible for Lymes disease. We do have it here but not nearly with the occurance. I have friends in NY that have treated each of their dogs at least twice. In 15 years I have never had to treat a dog for lymes and my dogs travel in our woods, go for hikes and spend hours on end in nature. They get ticks, but never that dreaded disease.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:32 PM

76 posts, read 223,586 times
Default Tick Fever

Most doctors here will treat Tick Fever with Doxycycline. It is the recommended treatment for all tick diseases. If you end up not really having a tick-borne disease, no harm. It is a relatively safe antibiotic with few side effects.
If you know that you have been bitten and have any kind of unusual symptoms, go to the doctor and ask for a 10 day scrip for Doxy.
I was speaking with someone in Banner Elk a couple of weeks ago and he said he has never seen a tick and he hikes with his family all the time and goes fishing, too. He would know, I would guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina