Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
Well, I'm thinkin' of movin' there from NY...what if I end my sentences with "y'all" a lot...lol...And I do renovations for a living so I'll do my own plumbing and tell ya what...I'll even do yours and not charge ya a premium
I figure if I move there and charge people more than fair prices I should do OK...I even show up on time and clean up after myself...isn't that half the battle now-a-daze? Y'all
Maybe I should get myself a Lynord Skynard bumper sticker too!LOL
We'll spot you a mile away.

Overheard a waitress ask a fella in one of the local eateries. "You ain't from around here are ya? The guy said, "no I'm not, but how did you know?"

"Easy, I know everybody from around here, but I don't know you"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 03:37 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
We'll spot you a mile away.

Overheard a waitress ask a fella in one of the local eateries. "You ain't from around here are ya? The guy said, "no I'm not, but how did you know?"

"Easy, I know everybody from around here, but I don't know you"
...that's cute!!!!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:45 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
...that's cute!!!!
It is also a true story, happened about 10 years ago in the town of Andrews about 100 miles west of Asheville, They were some out of town network wiring contractors working at a local plant I was installing a network in.

The waitress was young an cute, and one of the guys was trying to talk something up with her, since they were in town for a week to complete the project.

Old 11-18-2007, 06:49 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,224,804 times
Oh, I beleive it! I was SOOOO excited this summer when I went to a restaurant in town that I hadn't been to in a year and the owner came over and said "Hello Annie....nice to see you"

Old 11-26-2007, 09:21 AM

18 posts, read 65,786 times
Check out Burke county, NC. We are the foothills only about 35 miles to Blue Ridge Pakway. We have rolling hills and mountains around us. I live in connellys springs, East Burke I have views of Grandfather Mountain and Table Rock plus we have South Mountains State Park, great for camping , hiking, and family gatherings. Good parks all around, schools are good and only 15 minutes to Lenoir, Morganton and Hickory which has your malls , restaurants and just about anything you want.

Burke County Chamber of Commerce

Old 11-26-2007, 01:21 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
I love Watauga and Ashe Counties, and would definitely give them both a good look. Another area that puts you only about 3 hours from N. Raleigh is Roanoke, VA. Other towns like Martinsville, Danville & Lynchburh in VA are also near/in the mountains, but aren't quite as large or prosperous as Roanoke.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:12 AM

157 posts, read 601,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
Well, I'm thinkin' of movin' there from NY...what if I end my sentences with "y'all" a lot...lol...And I do renovations for a living so I'll do my own plumbing and tell ya what...I'll even do yours and not charge ya a premium
I figure if I move there and charge people more than fair prices I should do OK...I even show up on time and clean up after myself...isn't that half the battle now-a-daze? Y'all
Maybe I should get myself a Lynord Skynard bumper sticker too!LOL
you're funny!
I'm sure there are some Northerners down here that are happy, I just met one yesterday, he loves not having 2 feet of snow at his door steps! He also said that he's been here for 13 years and is still an outsider, but he's happy with the cost of living being so low and the weather being so mild...so, it's not all bad, it all depends on what your lifestyle was like before moving here and what personality you have.
if you do home remodeling and actually show up to do the work you'll do great! the word will spread very fast once people get passed the fact that you're a Yankee.
Good Luck!!!!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:22 AM

276 posts, read 792,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveofthemountains View Post
Check out Burke county, NC. We are the foothills only about 35 miles to Blue Ridge Pakway. We have rolling hills and mountains around us. I live in connellys springs, East Burke I have views of Grandfather Mountain and Table Rock plus we have South Mountains State Park, great for camping , hiking, and family gatherings. Good parks all around, schools are good and only 15 minutes to Lenoir, Morganton and Hickory which has your malls , restaurants and just about anything you want.

Burke County Chamber of Commerce
Are there any jobs for a community college instructor in your area?

Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 AM

276 posts, read 792,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by granitelady View Post
I hate to do this, but I feel it's necessary....
A little warning to all Florida people thinking about relocating to NC:
I'm from FL and moved to WNC 3 1/2 years ago, yes you get a lot more house for the money and that's why I moved here...the flip side is that for the most part, outsiders are not really accepted here, people in this area (with some rare exceptions) don't like the intruders in their society, and that's not just my opinion, I have lots of customers that moved here from other areas and after being here for a couple of years they are selling theirs homes and going back to where they came from.
If you are coming from a small town you'll be ok, the culture shock won't be as bad, but if you're coming from a multicultural area where people don't really care what you believe in, what language you speak at home, if you're a democrat or republican, etc...then you'll have a little problem adjusting here.
Also keep in mind everything here moves on a slower pace, the plumber might show up and when he does he will charge you a premium because you're not from here (I'm not exagerating!) things get done whenever they get done, and don't expect anybody to come fix anything on a Friday.
Don't take me wrong, it's a great area if you're prepared for a very laid back life and if you're not a type A personality...since I am it didn't quite work for me.
And remember that it doesn't matter where you're coming from, if you're not from here you're a Yankee....watch out for the pick up trucks with a confederate flag painted on the back window!
I know I'm setting myself up for some retaliation by posting this note, but it needs to be said, it's not my opinion only, any person that moved here from another area and has been here for a couple of years can vouch for what I'm saying.
The southern hospitality is for the southerners not for the outsiders.
As a quiet Christain conservative, I would probably fit in just fine!

Old 12-17-2007, 09:16 AM

18 posts, read 65,786 times
Red face Let me think, okay here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridahater View Post
Are there any jobs for a community college instructor in your area?

check out these websites for Jobs: http://www.ncesc.com/individual/jis/jisMain.asp

http://www.hickoryrecord.com

http://www.morganton.com/

The above Morganton.com paper will give you links at the top of the newpaper for other area papers that are close by , Marion is mountainious area, Stateville and Lake Norman are close but they are east of us and not really mountainous, you may see a view of the mountains from Statesville but not great for mountain lovers.

http://newstopic.net/

http://www.mountaintimes.com/

http://www.shelbystar.com/

http://www.lincolntimesnews.com/

http://www.gastongazette.com/

http://www.taylorsvilletimes.com/

NC state map that you can click on individual counties to get info.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~ncgenweb/nc_map.htm (broken link)

Let me know how your search goes and if I can help let me know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina