U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 11:51 AM

23 posts, read 137,042 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am going to move to Highlands in the Spring on 2012 and was wondering if there are any single ladies in the area in there 20's to mid 30's. I am 35 year old male and will be moving from a Colorado mountain town that has 4 guys for every 1 girl and am wondering what to expect in NC.

Jack
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 02:55 PM

2,024 posts, read 3,631,566 times
Not really.
There might be a small crowd around the cullowhee area who are getting a masters at WCU but even the Asheville area has a lack of "young single professionals". The reason being that the area is just too expensive to live in and has few career jobs so retirees tend to make up the most demographics.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:13 PM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at the North Gulf Shore Beach Access)
1,899 posts, read 3,724,707 times
I laughed at this title thread - I've been to Highlands/Cashiers many times - singles and Highlands/Cashiers are never mentioned in the same sentence. You might find some single retirees
Seriously, you will have MUCH better luck in Asheville (maybe), Boone (App), or even Greenville/Knoxville (UT)/Atlanta.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:53 PM

3,237 posts, read 5,132,301 times
Western NC is not the place for singles...

Old 06-20-2011, 09:28 PM

172 posts, read 416,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
Western NC is not the place for singles...
yep....in my early 20's and this is not the place to come and look for singles....Waynesville is terrible, Highlands will be a nightmare.....

Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 PM

2,024 posts, read 3,631,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC-hiker View Post
yep....in my early 20's and this is not the place to come and look for singles....Waynesville is terrible, Highlands will be a nightmare.....
Snort. I think maybe I was a bit too optimistic in my original reply.

I grew up here and went to UNCA. Gotta say, the choices are severely limited. I took some summer classes at UNC-CH and it was like swimming in a sea of tasty testosterone after being in WNC.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:15 AM

463 posts, read 982,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuckmg25 View Post
Hi,

will be moving from a Colorado mountain town that has 4 guys for every 1 girl and am wondering what to expect in NC.

Jack
You just described every Colorado mountain town that doesn't have a university! I'm glad that I stumbled on this thread-I was thinking of moving to Waynesville from CO mountains. If you think Breck is starved of women, you should see Lake and Chaffee counties-total dude ranch. Well, I guess Asheville is back on my short list. Boy, I sure hope I remember what to do when I see one of those female thinggies again. Good luck with your move. I'd be interested to know how you find the transition. But I hope to be there by this fall so I guess I'll find out before you. Cheers.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:27 AM

9,274 posts, read 23,397,689 times
I would say other than the middle-aged marrieds, it's 4 widows to every widower up there.Pickings get even slimmer in the winter.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:50 PM

23 posts, read 137,042 times
So basically there are No singles in Highlands or the surrounding areas according to the replies. I know that this is mainly a retirement community but who runs everything for the people. I'm not looking for a ton of girls but a few would be nice. I don't care if they are a PHD or work at Walmart, was just hoping to find somebody nice. Bought a house in Highlands Cove at the Old Edwards Country Club and was just hoping to meet someone nice to hang out with. Guess I will have to bring my own! haha

Old 06-27-2011, 07:06 AM

463 posts, read 982,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuckmg25 View Post
So basically there are No singles in Highlands or the surrounding areas according to the replies. I know that this is mainly a retirement community but who runs everything for the people. I'm not looking for a ton of girls but a few would be nice. I don't care if they are a PHD or work at Walmart, was just hoping to find somebody nice. Bought a house in Highlands Cove at the Old Edwards Country Club and was just hoping to meet someone nice to hang out with. Guess I will have to bring my own! haha
Have you closed on your house? That's exactly how I moved to Colorado and it was the single biggest mistake of my life. I was young and stupid and I thought that I could make it anywhere because I'm well educated and hard working. Ahh, the sweet arrogance of youth...Needless to say, it did not work out. If you lurk on this forum long enough, you will notice a common theme: move to your target and rent for a while to get a feel for the place. Living in a place is MUCH different than visiting it. Just because you surround yourself with natural beauty does not automatically make you happy. I have some of the best views in the country from my place and I couldn't even appreciate them because I was wallowing in misery. I simply didn't realize what a third world ****hole Colorado is until I tried to make a living here. Yes, it's beautiful, but places don't really make you happy in the end, situations do. Situations in terms of your professional life and your friendships and family,etc,etc. I hope you have found your place and that you will be happy there but be careful. I'll never forget the last thing my mom said to me when I left for Colorado: "You can't eat the view son"
Best of luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina