Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 01:46 AM

1,497 posts, read 3,337,091 times
If you must ask such a question , maybe you should consider remaining put.
Queries of that sort only serve to breed seperatism , and walking around looking for anything that may even be remotely purported as 'racism' will land you and yours in exile. Trust me , I know , after years of travels. Yes , complexionism exists , but don't carry yourself like you are hoping for it to occur , or occur it will. Just relax , if something were to occur , consider the offender to be simply a primitive ape , given the fact all of us are apes , some more mentally evolved than others. Basically , give respect , and you will likely recieve the same in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 08:10 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,352,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
If you must ask such a question , maybe you should consider remaining put.
Queries of that sort only serve to breed seperatism , and walking around looking for anything that may even be remotely purported as 'racism' will land you and yours in exile. Trust me , I know , after years of travels. Yes , complexionism exists , but don't carry yourself like you are hoping for it to occur , or occur it will. Just relax , if something were to occur , consider the offender to be simply a primitive ape , given the fact all of us are apes , some more mentally evolved than others. Basically , give respect , and you will likely recieve the same in return.

I'm sorry, but people are NOT apes

I get your point though about some people being less "evolved" than others.

I think it's only natural if you are a member of any minority that you'd be slightly concerned about acceptance wherever you are thinking of moving.

And I doubt the OP is planning on "walking around looking for anything that may even be remoted purported as racism".

Until you've been in the minority you may not be able to fully appreciate how difficult it can be to live among a majority of folks "different" from you in some way.

Because while the majority of that majority will be open, friendly and at worst, curious about you, there will be those who will be openly hostile and dismissive. This happens no matter WHAT kind of majority you are dealing with.

Our OP was just looking for good information about what to expect, and there is nothing wrong with that. It actually seems prudent to me.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:18 AM

13 posts, read 51,816 times
Default Thank you

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I will not look for any fights, I just want to know that there isn't active KKK in the area, lol. But seriously I appreciate your Complete understanding.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:16 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,369,650 times
According to the Southern Poverty Law Center "Hate Map", there is a group in Forest City, NC, but they are not specifically KKK. Nothing else shows up in the mountains.

Hate Map | Southern Poverty Law Center

I live in Towns County, GA and I'm sorry to say we do have an active KKK group right here. Never see them out in the open, mind you, but they are officially here.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,287,553 times
In Cherokee about every other store downtown sell Confederate flag items from flags, tshirts, bumper stickers and other items

Old 06-28-2011, 12:37 PM

I think some southerners like the Confederate flag because to them, it symbolizes history and pride. They don't think of any meaning beyond that.

One thing about NC is that it was very reluctant to go into the Civil War and it was the last southern state to leave the union. It wasn't as much of a slave state as other southern states, and the mountains hardly had any slaves at all. NC was the complete opposite of SC, which was the first to leave the union.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,352,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I think some southerners like the Confederate flag because to them, it symbolizes history and pride. They don't think of any meaning beyond that.

One thing about NC is that it was very reluctant to go into the Civil War and it was the last southern state to leave the union. It wasn't as much of a slave state as other southern states, and the mountains hardly had any slaves at all. NC was the complete opposite of SC, which was the first to leave the union.
This is exactly right - while the KKK has kind of stolen the Confederate flag for its racist purposes, the majority of people who fly it do so out of a sense of southern pride as a way to honor their ancestors - that's all. It certainly does not mean everyone supports the KKK!

Old 06-29-2011, 01:18 AM

Also, the Appalachian mountains were not uniformly Confederate. It was not unusual for mountain people to fight on opposite sides from their neighbors.

Some fought for the Union and some for the Confederate. Considering there were very few slaves in the mountains, it's not surprising.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:15 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,449,185 times
Since you guys got on the topic I thought I'd share this link for you on a whole history of slavery in WNC, specifically fairview, Slavery in Fairview, Part 1. Its an interesting read. If you care to read the whole series it can be found here: http://fairviewtowncrier.com/?cat=22&paged=2

Also, that map someone posted, I know for a FACT there are KKK meetings occurring in both Chatham and Johnson counties in the middle of NC and neither are listed. So I think its just the groups that are dumb enough to get caught. It happens in the mountains. Now do I think the OP needs to be worried, no, not in boone at least. Haywood county? Maybe.

Last edited by saucystargazer; 06-29-2011 at 02:40 AM..

Old 06-29-2011, 03:37 PM

20,549 posts, read 30,290,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubrey's mom View Post
Hi all, my family and I are looking to move to the Boone, Blowing Rock, Lenoir area of NC. We are moving from TX. I am looking to move to a mountainous area to have a life of self sustainability and beautiful surroundings. I will be homeschooling my daughters as they get older and my husband has a master's in education. I guess my concern is will we be treated badly by locals due to our skin color? WE are very religious christians and have warm, great personalities and hope to be at least somewhat excepted.

Thxs for any feedback on what to expect in the area.
Boone and Blowing Rock are mountain towns and the black population is very low. Boone has more diversity because it is a college town. That might be a better fit for you.

Lenoir has the highest black population of the towns you have chosen but it is not in the mountains. Land and jobs might be easier to find in that area.

North of Boone...and the mindset gets smaller. Many of the locals have never seen a black person and they can be quite ignorant about it. Unfortunately they learn from their parents and their parents don't know any better. I'm ashamed to admit that there are people still like that but there are.

Good luck to you. I would recommend your family take a trip, travel the areas you are interested in, and talk to the locals. Get a feel for the places and the people before you make a decision. BTW, the mountains are a beautiful place

Surprisingly enough I found more racism in FL last winter. I was offended by it.

Last edited by ylisa7; 06-29-2011 at 03:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina