Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 09:38 AM

14 posts, read 32,318 times

Advertisements

It has taken a year but after reading the WNC threads and several trips to WNC; next month I will be relocating to Asheville area. My heart is set on Waynesville. The mountain views make me weak. Hendersonville is nice but I'm looking for a bit more wooded element. But here is my question as I peruse house rental ads; why do people use heat pumps rather than traditional heating? (I'm from Jersey). Why do so many people use electric stoves as opposed to gas? I need to know that I can still cook something to eat when some storm knocks out the power. I did search on web and heat pumps provide limited heating. Many properties I looked at had this. I am so opposed to either. I'm looking for 3 bdrm with mountain view.
Is Waynesville accepting of lesbians of color?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 03:39 PM

4,789 posts, read 10,610,355 times
A few friends' homes, in the lower elevations of Waynesville area have heat pumps, but most have propane fired furnaces of some variation, either hot water fired or conventional furnaces...heat pumps are not very efficient above 3,000 ft, and not at all above 4,000 feet, in our research.

Heat pumps, in rentals, are 'quick and easy' to install; my guess why you see them in rentals. And, down 'in town area', at that lower altitude, they may be effective.

Waynesville has all kinds of people, in my experience; have never seen outward discrimination toward anyone, of any flavor, in my decade here.
GL, mD

Old 07-16-2011, 07:18 AM

729 posts, read 1,505,662 times
Heat pumps are the most efficient down to 35 degrees. Below that, they can not pull moisture out of the air so they run on heat strips and at that point, they are expensive to run. That's when you turn to secondary heat. Many homes have furnaces that switch to propane heat for secondary. In my house we also have a wood burning stove to supliment and for use during power outages. As far as gas, you have to be close to town to get natural gas. Otherwise, propane is what you need. Many mountain homes have monitor heaters which are wall heaters that can run on either kerosene or propane.

Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,861 times
No offense, but ya'll ain't seen the true colors of Haywood County. We are some prejudice people, we just too nice to say it to anybody's face. We also ain't big fans of people who move here who didn't grow up here. Most locals can smell a tourist out a mile away.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:59 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times

My constant refrain to the question asked about accepting one thing or another: most people don't care about anybody's business but their own. Can't account for every single person but most people.

Mountain people are self sufficient and independent people and just go about living their lives without bothering anyone else.

Just my opinion but people don't generally care about other people's lives as long as they don't affect them or their families. And they are not likely to make an issue of anything unless they feel they have to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina