Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we keep the current stickied threads?
Keep both current threads (Photos & Mountain Area Map) 8 66.67%
Keep only the Photo thread 3 25.00%
Keep only the Mountain Area Map 0 0%
Unstick both threads 0 0%
Add one or two new threads (please add your suggestions in the thread) 1 8.33%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 05:01 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times

Advertisements

Hi, all!

Each forum is allowed to have two permanent sticky threads. The two for WNC (Photo Thread and Mountain Map) have been stickied longer than I've been modding here, so I thought I'd do a quick survey to see if people are happy with them, or would perhaps like something different (for example, the Chat Thread).

If you have any suggestions, feel free to post them here or DM me directly.

Thanks!

~Dark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 05:17 PM

172 posts, read 477,232 times
Keep the Photo Thread....Add one with Info Regarding Asheville(since it is the most asked about) that posters can add to, or ask questions about...JMO

Old 07-12-2011, 07:31 PM

16 posts, read 28,587 times
Both Stickies were helpful to me when I first visited this forum, but I was disappointed that the Mountain Region Map wasn't expandable.

That is, if each county could be clicked on to show a pop up or link of vital statistics for that county, it would be much more beneficial to someone looking into the region for the first time.

My 2 pesos.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMusicGuy View Post
Both Stickies were helpful to me when I first visited this forum, but I was disappointed that the Mountain Region Map wasn't expandable.

That is, if each county could be clicked on to show a pop up or link of vital statistics for that county, it would be much more beneficial to someone looking into the region for the first time.

My 2 pesos.
Great idea! Unfortunately, the map has been on this forum longer than I have and, well, it is what it is .....

Old 07-13-2011, 05:02 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,155,424 times
Yeah, the map thread is pretty worthless as it is. At a minimum it should be unlocked so people can add links to better maps. But I'd prefer to replace it with an "information links" thread, so we can add links not only to maps of the area, but also to "favorites"--points of interest, "what to do" sites, etc.; much like WNC-hiker's idea above, but don't limit it just to Asheville. For example, it would be nice to have links to the official Blue Ridge Parkway site(s), the GSMNP site, ski slopes and slope conditions sites, hiking trail sites, etc.

I do like the photo thread.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment!

Old 07-14-2011, 12:22 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Yeah, the map thread is pretty worthless as it is. At a minimum it should be unlocked so people can add links to better maps. But I'd prefer to replace it with an "information links" thread, so we can add links not only to maps of the area, but also to "favorites"--points of interest, "what to do" sites, etc.; much like WNC-hiker's idea above, but don't limit it just to Asheville. For example, it would be nice to have links to the official Blue Ridge Parkway site(s), the GSMNP site, ski slopes and slope conditions sites, hiking trail sites, etc.

I do like the photo thread.

Thanks for the opportunity to comment!

Old 07-15-2011, 04:46 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
Yep, I think I agree with arbyunc. My other favorite forum, Alaska, has a huge information thread full of links to things that are pertinent for visitors and residents of Alaska, such as jobs listings, places to go, things to see, housing information, renting information, etc. etc. It's very helpful for people like me who hope to move there one day, but it's also useful for those who are planning a visit and want to know where to go and what to do. So yeah, thanks for giving us the opportunity to have input.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:28 PM

So far, the voting (limited though it is) is slightly in favor of keeping both current threads.

If y'all want an information thread, perhaps it could be added to the map thread? I'd be glad to unlock the map thread, and if anyone has a link to a better (interactive?) map, please send it to me and I'll add it.

Old 07-17-2011, 11:13 AM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
I agree with having an info sticky. I voted to add a new thread--but also would get rid of the map thread to be able to add the new info thread.
Here is one from the CO forum that I found very useful when researching CO even though it covers the whole state.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/color...links-key.html

A WNC one could be just on valuable information, various links, and old info-packed and popular threads about frequently-asked questions such as humidity, weather, housing, schools, jobs, different neighborhoods, etc.
Thanks for your consideration and work on this!

Last edited by mountainrose; 07-17-2011 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 07-17-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
So yeah, thanks for giving us the opportunity to have input.
Well, this isn't my forum, it's yours (collectively) -- it should reflect what's important to the members.

The poll closes on Tuesday, so we'll look at the results and go from there.

Keep the input coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina