Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 10:54 AM

9 posts, read 18,261 times

Advertisements

We are looking at log home communities in West NC. Our price range is in the $400,000's (looking to get 2,500 or less in sq.ft) including land. We are retiring and have twins that will be going to 5th grade so schools are very important. If anyone can provide feedback as to which areas/communities are best that would be great!

Don't want to be too far from civilization and husband loves to hunt and fish.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 12:12 PM

9 posts, read 18,261 times
Since there's no feedback on log homes how about any information on land for sale and which areas are better than others as far as middle schools whether public or private. How about NC colleges/universities...any advantages being a NC resident vs. Out of state as far as tuition is concerned?

Old 07-24-2011, 04:38 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,563,583 times
I have been to a dozen+ log homes of friends, mainly in Waynesville area...

A couple are very high end, and above your budget, though some are possibly
in the ballpark. I know of few true 'log home communities', eg all homes
are log homes...there are a couple in Maggie Valley area. No RE guy, so this is
anecdotal.

And, Yahoo search turns up a few pages:
log home communities in western nc - Yahoo! Search Results

There are few towns in western NC that are "too far from civilization", and fishing/hunting
is available all over Haywood, Jackson, Madison and Buncombe counties.

No clue on schools, as our Kidz are in their 40s and back in NJ/NY...

My guess is an NC resident pays much less than out of state for college; there was a recent thread
on this.

Hope this helps. Your orig & follow up posts are a bit vague.
GL, mD

Old 07-28-2011, 12:35 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,382,440 times
It seems the further out from Asheville you go, the more log homes there are. Even if the homes are not actually log, the "rustic look" becomes more prevalent further out.

Log homes and/or log siding are super high maintenance. Some friends of ours found this out the hard way when they had to restain and seal at a cost of $10,000 when their house was only three years old. They are going to have to do this often.

Some people build lodge-style homes with Hardiplank on the outside to ease maintenance. It can still look rustic on the outside with the right paint color and trim, and the inside can look just like the log homes you like.

I've lived in two Hardiplank homes and two log-sided homes, and I would never have logs on the outside again if I could help it. They attract grit and dirt like a magnet and it wants to stick on.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:21 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,084,376 times
To minimize maintenance, go with an antique log home. I have one that was re-built on a new foundation in 1986 with hand-hewn logs from a mid-1800s tobacco barn and nothing has been done to the exterior save for patching a few cracks in the cement chinking...and putting a new roof on which is not related to the logs. Newer, composite chinking actually weathers better than cement and there won't even be as many cracks to fill if using that. The other benefits to antique log is that they are wonderfully cool in summer and have a truly authentic mountain log home feel to them. There is an entire community of antique log homes called Stonebridge in Ashe County...not close to Asheville but may be worth browsing through a few listings to see the charm of antique logs.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:19 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,761,481 times
My mother lives in Weaverville, close to Asheville, near the mountains. There are log homes there, might research the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina