Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 03:43 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbug3 View Post
thank you ss20ts..I don't want to live paycheck to paycheck...right now we have NO check!! and it is causes alot of stress. I am going to do alot of research on these areas..Charlotte seem to be the best to find employment, but I think Greenville is interesting also. THanks again.
Being in construction is an incredibly rough business right now. The development I'm in was completed almost 2 years behind schedule. There are many developments in the Charlotte area that were never completed and are standing there half assed so to speak. They took a REALLY hard hit.

The company who built my development does not have a single construction employee. They hire all subs. The majority of the subs didn't speak a word of English. Sure made for some good times watching them scream at each other! Funny how when people don't understand each other they speak louder thinking it helps. Not saying this is all construction in Charlotte or anywhere else, but it is a factor in many areas.

Greenville does have a lot going on. They have several huge commercial projects underway and they do have many housing developments. I would definitely check out Greenville. It sits in the foothills of the SC mountains and it's a short drive up to NC. You'd also be 2 hours or less from Charlotte and Atlanta. Many areas of Charlotte have gotten a bit pricy. Some of that has come down. The massive swarms of people moving there has significantly slowed down and a lot of that drove up the prices.

Do yourself a HUGE favor. Wherever you do decide you want to live, make sure you visit and don't base your decision on what you found on the internet. Visit and skip ALL of the tourist stuff. Look for grocery stores, Wal-Mart, restaurants, Payless Shoes or whatever your favorite shoe store is, Apple if you're into their products, is your bank around or do you need to find a new one, mechanics!

Never too early to find a place to repair a vehicle. I needed a new battery within 3 weeks of moving here. I had no idea what to do. I had always used the dealership for everything where I used to live and the closest dealership was an hour away! Thank god for AAA! They towed me and brought me to a safe place.

Check out the schools and parks. As in physically go and see them. Some parks look fabulous online. I swear there's a park here where the website pics are from 1965! The place looks like it has been run down and pretty nasty for decades. It's also a known drug dealing park. That's something I imagine you wouldn't want your kids around unless you're a nut. You don't seem like it.

Basically find the stuff you need to live. Baker's shoes may be something you spurge on once in awhile. If there isn't one for 100 miles can you live with that? Some people can't. Others live with it and say whatever. I think my sister would die if she couldn't get Baker's shows except for the internet. Then there's me. Give me my Nike's and life is good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 06:32 PM

204 posts, read 422,634 times
funny I have not bought a new pair of shoes in years!! Actually, I am not familiar with Baker shoes at all!! hahaha..no drug dealers for us! Our children are elem. age so we def. need a good school area...let me pick your brain about the areas outside of Blowing Rock? Are their any nice historic towns? I am thinking something where hubby could commute into Winston-Salem for work, but we could take family who visit into Blowing rock for the day etc. I worked in the hospitality bus. for years and think I could find a job in the touristy area too. Also, driving back to Maryland from this area would be shorter say 8-9hrs. or so rather than moving down to SC. or even Brevard etc. Plus we like the weather (snow) that the area gets..any opinions? thanks you have been very helpful already

Old 08-16-2011, 07:15 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
funny I have not bought a new pair of shoes in years!! Actually, I am not familiar with Baker shoes at all!! hahaha..no drug dealers for us! Our children are elem. age so we def. need a good school area...let me pick your brain about the areas outside of Blowing Rock? Are their any nice historic towns? I am thinking something where hubby could commute into Winston-Salem for work, but we could take family who visit into Blowing rock for the day etc. I worked in the hospitality bus. for years and think I could find a job in the touristy area too. Also, driving back to Maryland from this area would be shorter say 8-9hrs. or so rather than moving down to SC. or even Brevard etc. Plus we like the weather (snow) that the area gets..any opinions? thanks you have been very helpful already
I will send you a dm

edited to add...apparently I can't send you a dm, you don't have that feature enabled, just FYI.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:22 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Winston-Salem to Blowing Rock is about an hour and 40 minutes without traffic issues or weather. WS DOES get some snow. They had a white Christmas last year. They don't get feet of it. Just enough to make you happy. I remember being stunned to see snow there last year. It was soooo weird coming from SC.

Since you have to look for work, I would go where you find a job. You can always visit. We go to the mountains for long weekends and a week long vacation. Would we like to go more often? Sure, but we like paying our bills, too.

Old 08-17-2011, 07:59 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,149 times
There are two ways to look at this.

You move where a 'good paying' job is,live there,work there and visit the place you want to live is...

Or you downsize your life,accept you will earn less,and live where you want to be.

We chose the latter...well it was forced upon us actually.

Something else to keep in mind is if you do settle and move to the place with a good paying jobs but not where you want to live,nothing is guaranteed.
That job could vanish the very next day.

If you move to where you want to live,downsize your life,while the lower paying job could vanish as well,you are at least somewhere you want to be...and lower paying jobs are easier to find.

Just my thoughts.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 AM

679 posts, read 1,461,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
There are two ways to look at this.

You move where a 'good paying' job is,live there,work there and visit the place you want to live is...

Or you downsize your life,accept you will earn less,and live where you want to be.

We chose the latter...well it was forced upon us actually.

Something else to keep in mind is if you do settle and move to the place with a good paying jobs but not where you want to live,nothing is guaranteed.
That job could vanish the very next day.

If you move to where you want to live,downsize your life,while the lower paying job could vanish as well,you are at least somewhere you want to be...and lower paying jobs are easier to find.

Just my thoughts.
There is a fly in that ointment, too. There are many low paying jobs here, but since they are easier to find, the supply of applicants for those jobs is disproportionate to the number of jobs. Thus, it is easier for people to find lower paying job openings, but not necessarily any easier for them to secure a job from them.

That is more of a function of the supply of labor vs. the demand for that labor, but more desirable areas seem to share that problem, particularly as more people move in with the idea of or backup plan to downsize their lives.

It is a Catch-22.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:23 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
There is a fly in that ointment, too. There are many low paying jobs here, but since they are easier to find, the supply of applicants for those jobs is disproportionate to the number of jobs. Thus, it is easier for people to find lower paying job openings, but not necessarily any easier for them to secure a job from them.

That is more of a function of the supply of labor vs. the demand for that labor, but more desirable areas seem to share that problem, particularly as more people move in with the idea of or backup plan to downsize their lives.

It is a Catch-22.
Here in Rutherford County,unemployment was,at one time the highest in the state.

That said,finding job openings wasn't actually that difficult AND the opening didn't seem to get filled.

I was offered a job working for the man who was doing some of our construction here,of course I do believe that job was cash only....not necessarily a bad thing in my mind...

Old 08-17-2011, 11:01 AM

679 posts, read 1,461,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Here in Rutherford County,unemployment
I was offered a job working for the man who was doing some of our construction here,of course I do believe that job was cash only....not necessarily a bad thing in my mind...
Not one bit in my mind, either! Although these days I'd probably prefer gold.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:52 PM

118 posts, read 234,882 times
We just bought a house in Buladean. I LOVE that area. Johnson City, Tn seems to be where most people commute for work in that area. It is beautiful there.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:55 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,638 times
I would love to live in the NC mountains some day but would need to figure out the job thing as well first. Not an easy thing for anyone right now. I may try to go back to school (again) in the area.

Commuting to Johnson City, TN from NC is an idea I wouldn't have thought of. Kingsport and Bristol are in that area of Tennessee also. Not sure what the job market is like there but there is at least kind of a cluster of cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina