U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 10:22 AM

5 posts, read 17,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I wasn't suggesting that it was the same.

It appears that either I have a knack of not being clear or you have a knack of misreading other peoples words. At any rate, I have other things to do with my time besides spending it in Internet semantics debates. Good luck in your search and best wishes with your move

Regards,

Cassie
Yes, I guess I must have misunderstood then beacuse "Or posts where they want someone else to do their work and research for them. If someone is Internet saavy enough to find this forum, figure out how to post and use the quote feature to respond, they can probably do at least some rudimentary homework about schools in an area without getting their knickers in a knot when someone else doesn't do it for them." seems to suggest that reading stats about schools and not getting opinions from those that have direct experience was the way to go. Oh well. Good luck and best wishes with the other things you have to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 06:15 PM

79 posts, read 329,369 times
my understanding is the TC Roberson & Reynolds System are the best. The Asheville (prvt boarding) School is for the Wealthy.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:17 PM

5,661 posts, read 23,888,545 times
Christ School over in Arden is also an excellent private school in the Asheville Metro Area. Like the Asheville School, they have day and boarding students. Both offer financial aid through scholarships and students loans. Not much different then sending your child to a good college. Both Asheville School and Christ School have been in operation for over 100 years.

Last edited by mm34b; 09-05-2006 at 07:31 PM..

Old 09-06-2006, 08:13 AM

904 posts, read 2,500,366 times
Okay, I have to speak... Having two high schoolers myself, I have to say that there is more to choosing a school than test scores and such. I believe this poster wanted personal opinions of the schools. These are really important. Believe it or not, things like athletics, clubs and even plain ole school spirit help add to the high school experience. When choosing an elementary school, parent involvement and support are very important. With middle school there are other issues as well. I know when I am looking for an area to move to these types of things will be important as well as test scores.

I have lived in the Asheville area and even did my student teaching at Asheville High School. I still would like to know something from actual, current parents when making the choice of a school for my child. Forums such as this are perfect for that. I think everyone realizes that every post here is just someones opinion.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:06 AM

232 posts, read 1,556,641 times
I began reading this forum a few days ago and initially wanted to stay out of this one, but I guess I agree with VBmom in how I too would like to get opinions and perceptions of local schools. We (myself, wife, 2 kids; 10 and 1) are considering moving to the Asheville area within the next year. I'd like to find the right school as well. I don't think its an unreasonable topic at all.

Old 09-06-2006, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 17,462 times
If schools were my primary factor in the relocation process, I would visit each of the schools in Buncombe County prior to the selection of a home. If I were looking for high schools I am sure it would take less time to check out each of the six in the county than it will be to find a suitable residential property. At the same time I would be able to see the different areas of the county. If it is middle school I was looking for, there are only 7 and elementary will take a little longer, with 23. I always found that the communities fairly represented the schools and the peers that the students will be interacting with. I have raised 5 children (some by proxy) in WNC. 4 of 5 have at least undergrad degrees and several have more than one and are working on post grads.

Old 09-06-2006, 03:58 PM

25,625 posts, read 37,145,201 times
Cassie rocks! If I wasn't married....

Old 09-07-2006, 12:16 AM

33,562 posts, read 31,626,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashebound View Post
Looking for information on Asheville schools. Which are good? Which should be avoided? I guess this would dictate the area of Asheville to live in as well but any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Pick a town, Asheville or a nearby one. Use Google search engine. Type in Asheville AYP report. You'll get the school district's report card under No Child Left Behind.

Asheville's is on this page:

http://www.asheville.k12.nc.us/Lists...rm.aspx?ID=105

Asheville High School and two elementary schools---Dickson and Jones ---did not make AYP for the 2005-06 school year.

This is on reading. Math report card comes out in October.

AYP is Adequate Yearly progress.

Old 10-19-2006, 07:13 AM

45,264 posts, read 84,624,225 times
I am bumping this thread up for the benefit of our newest poster wanting info on Asheville. So much has already been said I thought she could just reread some of it

Old 04-01-2007, 03:20 PM

6 posts, read 33,749 times
i think i agree with the original poster.. trusting what ncreportcards says about their own schools is in no way indicitive of atcual "goings on" in the schools or a substitute for personal experiences with schools.. none of the "locals" seem to like "outsiders".. the schools are pretty bad with a few exceptions namely transylvania county and "the reynolds cane creek middle" district.. housing is rediculous and the pay scale is terrible.. that said i like it here as a transplant from florida...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or