Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 08:59 AM

5 posts, read 19,644 times

Advertisements

Looking for information on Asheville schools. Which are good? Which should be avoided? I guess this would dictate the area of Asheville to live in as well but any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2006, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Ann View Post
If that is your only priority, you are overlooking some wonderful areas other than Asheville. Asheville is "different".
No, no. We are considering Asheville for a variety of reasons, including it's diversity. However, we need to factor the school district when selecting the area that we will live in.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Ann View Post
Have you ever been here? Asheville is a City. Or do you mean the Asheville "area". There are good schools everywhere, you need to get current information from the Chamber(s) of Commerce on schools and contact the schools themselves for their ratings. Or, Google Asheville school systems, or some other cites than rank school systems. Areas east, west, north and south of Asheville exist.
I'm not sure what is causing you so much confusion with my question but it seems like you are struggling a bit. I am simply asking what schools are highly thought of in the area and what to stay away from. For instance, is the A.C Reynolds district good or would it be best advised to steer clear of it? Same for Asheville city schools. What about Enka or Erwin? It's ok if the question is a bit much for you. Don't feel the need to search for answers that you don't seem to have.

However, attempting to imply that my question is inane with a juvenile and sarcastic geography lesson is not helpful or accurate.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:11 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
Yeah, sounded pretty clear to me. Asheville is a great town, I hope you enjoy it!
My guess is that the overall school system should be fine...it's a town that should have ample tax base to fund its schools properly, especially compared to counties elsewhere in that section of the state.
Good luck in your search!

Old 09-04-2006, 07:32 PM

958 posts, read 2,621,674 times
I have lived in Asheville for 4 years now, in the Roberson district. It is a good district, as is Reynolds from everything I've heard. I'm not too sure on the others, but the south end of the county in general is very nice.

Old 09-04-2006, 07:54 PM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
I have a long time friend who works at the asheville school, which is a private 4 year boarding (or day) school. I am sure he would have opinions!!!!! I do have a another friend who is a realtor and has lived in the area for at least 10 years. Let me know if you want any of their contact information (you can PM me or email me) and I will send their information to you.

The only thing I can add is that I love asheville! Wonderful city, wonderful areas outside of it, etc.

Good luck!
Leigh

Old 09-04-2006, 08:03 PM

954 posts, read 4,377,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashebound View Post
I'm not sure what is causing you so much confusion with my question but it seems like you are struggling a bit. I am simply asking what schools are highly thought of in the area and what to stay away from. For instance, is the A.C Reynolds district good or would it be best advised to steer clear of it? Same for Asheville city schools. What about Enka or Erwin? It's ok if the question is a bit much for you. Don't feel the need to search for answers that you don't seem to have.

However, attempting to imply that my question is inane with a juvenile and sarcastic geography lesson is not helpful or accurate.
Your question seemed perfectly logical. Perhaps Liz Ann, is a little upset with the changes in Asheville over the last 20 years.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:25 AM

463 posts, read 1,651,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
Your question seemed perfectly logical. Perhaps Liz Ann, is a little upset with the changes in Asheville over the last 20 years.
I was really, really going to stay out of this thread but from reading Liz Ann's posts on another thread, that wasn't my take on her post on this one. I'm sure she's capable of speaking for herself so I'll speak for me.

I think there's a lot of personal responsibility involved in making a life changing move, especially one that includes children. Yet daily there are posts in this forum where people are willing to put the fate of their lives into the hands of total strangers on the Internet. Or posts where they want someone else to do their work and research for them. If someone is Internet saavy enough to find this forum, figure out how to post and use the quote feature to respond, they can probably do at least some rudimentary homework about schools in an area without getting their knickers in a knot when someone else doesn't do it for them.

But what amazes me most is when people basically tell others to up and move or that they are really going to love an area. Yes, I know that didn't happen on this thread and that statement isn't directed at anyone who has posted on this thread. However, I've seen it repeatedly. How do I know that someone else is going to love an area just because I do? How do I know what their criteria for a "good school" is when no indication is given? I don't want that kind of responsibility for someone else's life and decisions.

And while it's just my opinion, I think it would be very valuable for a few more people to take more responsibility for their own.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 09-05-2006 at 08:08 AM..

Old 09-05-2006, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
I was really, really going to stay out of this thread but from reading Liz Ann's posts on another thread, that wasn't my take on her post on this one. I'm sure she's capable of speaking for herself so I'll speak for me.

I think there's a lot of personal responsibility involved in making a life changing move, especially one that includes children. Yet daily there are posts in this forum where people are willing to put the fate of their lives into the hands of total strangers on the Internet. Or posts where they want someone else to do their work and research for them. If someone is Internet saavy enough to find this forum, figure out how to post and use the quote feature to respond, they can probably do at least some rudimentary homework about schools in an area without getting their knickers in a knot when someone else doesn't do it for them.

But what amazes me most is when people basically tell others to up and move or that they are really going to love an area. Yes, I know that didn't happen on this thread and that statement isn't directed at anyone who has posted on this thread. However, I've seen it repeatedly. How do I know that someone else is going to love an area just because I do? How do I know what their criteria for a "good school" is when no indication is given? I don't want that kind of responsibility for someone else's life and decisions.

And while it's just my opinion, I think it would be very valuable for a few more people to take more responsibility for their own.

Regards,

Cassie
Requesting the opinions of those that have actually experienced schools, etc. is not the same as blindly putting faith in them or having them make a decision for you. In addition, I can read all the stats regarding how much is spent per student, what test scores schools have and what the student-teacher ratio is but doesn't really give me a full picture that someone who has children in the school may be able to give. Let's not be so limited that we turn the act of interacting with others and seeking their opinions and experiences turns into not taking responsibility for ourselves. That's a bit silly.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:07 AM

463 posts, read 1,651,335 times
Quote:
Requesting the opinions of those that have actually experienced schools, etc. is not the same as blindly putting faith in them or having them make a decision for you. .
I wasn't suggesting that it was the same.

Quote:
In addition, I can read all the stats regarding how much is spent per student, what test scores schools have and what the student-teacher ratio is but doesn't really give me a full picture that someone who has children in the school may be able to give. Let's not be so limited that we turn the act of interacting with others and seeking their opinions and experiences turns into not taking responsibility for ourselves. That's a bit silly.
It appears that either I have a knack of not being clear or you have a knack of misreading other peoples words. At any rate, I have other things to do with my time besides spending it in Internet semantics debates. Good luck in your search and best wishes with your move

Regards,

Cassie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina