Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 12:10 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,369,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Springs View Post
Yes,that is Franklin Rd.One of the more scenic roads in WNC.I don't find it particularly "scary"though.With all the geezers and rubberneckers you can't get above 30 mph.Don't think it would stay snow covered for more than a day.Black ice might be a concern at night.
Never knew it was called "Franklin Road". To me, it's just Highway 64.

I don't find it particularly scary either. There are lots of mountain roads that are more scary to me. There are sections of the Blue Ridge Parkway that are somewhat terrifying to me. Luckily, it's only sections.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 06:59 AM

2,802 posts, read 1,752,191 times
Hendersonville, below Asheville, is to my understanding a retirement town. Does anyone know about
the roads in Hendersonville?

2008, when I visited the South for the first time, it was in Franklin,NC. The folks in Franklin and
surrounding towns made this Westerner feel right at home! As we live in a town the size of
Franklin, would prefer to be in a slightly larger town near a hospital

Funny story. Returning from a wonderful train trip based in Bryson City, got lost. Asked at a convenient store, for directions to Franklin. The TALL, Cherokee? gentleman replied "The long
way or the fast way?" The fast way I replied. After giving us directions, looked like he said a prayer!

Thanks to his prayers, we did make it back to Franklin, coming in the back way? One lane in
each direction, winding, a motorcycle shop on the left going down, does anyone know the road
I am talking about?

Thanks to this Forum, we flew to Atlanta rather than Asheville, rented a car in Atlanta. After
an hour? of driving, stopped for supper at a ---Cracker Barrel restaurant!

Happy planning. We have been NC dreaming ever since!

Old 08-23-2011, 07:49 PM

4,782 posts, read 10,542,409 times
OT...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
we did make it back to Franklin, coming in the back way? One lane in
each direction, winding, a motorcycle shop on the left going down, does anyone know the road
I am talking about? ...
My guess is Rt 28, off the 19/74 Highway, a fun to ride, winding 2 lane through Oak Grove, into Franklin...it's also called Bryson City Road.

I've ridden it several times, but I think the m'cycle joint is closed.
GL, mD

Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,392,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Never knew it was called "Franklin Road". To me, it's just Highway 64.

I don't find it particularly scary either. There are lots of mountain roads that are more scary to me.
LOL. Well to someone who grew up on the wide open roads of Texas, a two lane road with a drop off on one side and a granite mountain on the other...with an 18 wheeler roaring up next to you...it's a little scary.

64 down to Brevard is enjoyable though.

As to it being called the Franklin Rd., that what I've hear it called, and as "64 down to Franklin."

Old 08-24-2011, 03:26 PM

25 posts, read 76,873 times
In Franklin they call it Highlands Rd.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:42 PM

915 posts, read 1,618,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
Due to a combination of pension vesting and inheritances I am considering the possibility of retiring/second career/leisure time sometime in the next 5-10 years. One of the options I am considering is relocating to Highlands.

I would be curious as to thoughts for retiring to Highlands, what you need before you do so and issues I would need to be aware of.

Also, what are the winters like in Highlands- I like snow, but I am not a huge fan driving in snow. I don't mind a 2-3 snow day event but being snowed in for weeks on end is soemthing I would have to prepare for.
Hmmm - are you planning to move all your stuff or buy once you get there? Because I moved a 26 foot penske load up there last May (2010) for a place and have yet to get there. Rethinking my plans on maintaining a variety of places but wondering what to do with all my furniture 7-10 hours away from anywhere I live. LOL - i can sell you a part of your 5-10 year relocation now ! pictures on request .....

Old 08-24-2011, 06:34 PM

38 posts, read 110,708 times
I used to work up there and those winding and twisting roads made me soooo sick. There are no good stores and few places to eat. I dont like visiting there much less choosing it as a place to live. But to each his own!

Old 08-25-2011, 03:18 AM

Few places to eat? Are we still talking about Highlands?

Restaurants in Highlands, NC - Dining Guide for Highlands-Cashiers Plateau

Old 08-26-2011, 06:43 AM

406 posts, read 861,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Few places to eat? Are we still talking about Highlands?

Restaurants in Highlands, NC - Dining Guide for Highlands-Cashiers Plateau
I was wondering the same thing. The Restaurant guide that the Chamber of Commerce sent was quite impressive.

Now, I read somewhere that Highlands does keep out chain restaurants (i.e. McDonalds, Wendys and the like) Is that done through zoning or another mechanism?

Old 08-26-2011, 04:36 PM

I understand there is a Wendys in Cashiers down the road - a super nice one with a plasma tv and an outdoor fireplace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina