Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 11:48 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,392,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Wolves were released in the smokies as a part of the smokies red wolf recovery in the early-mid 90's. By the end of decade they had all died off and the project was cancelled. Working as a research biologist were I work closely with USFWS I have heard talk another attempt in the future after more evaluations. As of right now there are no known wolf packs in WNC.

If you have solid proof, aka pictures, im sure the USFWS would love to see them.....

Very cool. No, no pictures. It was night, and they were off in the distance.But knowing coyote calls, these weren't coyotes and I've never heard dogs howl that low.One of my neighbors made a call to the park service and a ranger went door to door asking questions.

What are the red wolves still seen in Cades Cove Tn, Smoky Mountain National Park? Are they part of the original release?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 01:05 AM

172 posts, read 475,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
What are the red wolves still seen in Cades Cove Tn, Smoky Mountain National Park? Are they part of the original release?
Mistaken Identity

At the end of the Experiment all the remaining Wolves were Captured.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:11 AM

7 posts, read 15,133 times
saucystargazer - That is one beautiful bear!

We went hiking up to Rattlesnake Lodge a couple of years ago and on the way back down we came upon fresh scat on the trail and we could hear the bear crashing off down into the woods. Having grown up in that area (Ox Creek - on an apple farm - a treat for a bear!) I wasn't really afraid, but I do have respect for them! Hiking in the WNC mountains ..... I'm more concerned with rattlesnakes and copperheads than bears - if you make plenty of noise the bear will go the other way - he doesn't want to see you up close and personal any more than you want to see him!

Old 11-26-2011, 02:26 PM

2 posts, read 1,850 times
The compressed air horn worked very well for me. Then I don't have to clean the gun.

Old 11-26-2011, 04:33 PM

221 posts, read 459,726 times
The other night my next door neighbor found a bear lying in his hammock. They're getting rather domesticated!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:59 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,498,062 times
Default Ox Creek

BCrawford saw your comment that you grew up on an apple farm on Ox Creek. Dogwood Hills Farm or the old apple farm on the big switchback think it may have been Ballards place or maybe Jones? We see bears alot up in this area one even walking down Ox Creek about gave my neighbor heart failure! I agree the rattlesnacks and copperheads are of more concern. Had a rattlesnack curled up at my front door a few years back. Boy can I jump backwards fast!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:18 PM

Default Ox Creek again

BCrawford check on the other site where you posted your Taft/Ox Creek question. I wrote some more about Ox Creek as I didn't want to bore all these other folks being so specific and off topic.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:28 PM

Default Bear Story

Loved the bear in a hammock! Here's one similar our neighbors have a pond and during the year of the bad drought he heard his dogs barking and went outside to see. A large, very large, bear was in his pond splashing around enjoying his personal spa time ignoring the dogs totally. The neighbor yelled and Mr. bear just looked at him not moving. He went in the house got his gun and fired in the air to scare the bear off after a few shots it lumbered out of the pond and off into the woods. They can be a bit brazen and guess we are used to them but do have a healthy respect for their power and keep our distance we don't want any Yogi Bears hanging out.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:49 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,170,812 times
I watched the recent game against the Raiders, and the Bears looked pretty harmless.

Old 02-03-2012, 12:20 AM

118 posts, read 233,842 times
We have them around our house. They come down the mountain in our back yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina