U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-04-2006, 09:42 PM

39 posts, read 125,716 times

Advertisements

Hi! My family has been contemplating a move to the Tenn. and NC mountains. I think we have settled on the Ashville NC area. Schools are very important. We have three in middle school and two toddlers. A couple of areas that have peaked our interest in Buncombe County are Weaverville, Leicester, Canton and Black Mountain. We haven't ruled out Ashville but would like to have some affordable acreage.
Any candid insight about the area~ in particular for raising children and teens would be greatly appreciated. We currently live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 01:22 PM

904 posts, read 1,848,157 times
We are planning the same move ourselves at the end of the current school year. We will have one child in college, one in high school and one in elementary school. I lived in Asheville for a few years before getting married and it is a wonderful place that I can't wait to get back to.

I might offer the advice of checking out the schools at GreatSchools.com and checking the test results from the local schools. As far as High Schools go, I have not heard good things about Owen (Black Mountain). My Aunt and Uncle live there and they were appalled at the school.
We are looking in the TC Roberson, AC Renyolds or Asheville High School area.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:54 PM

957 posts, read 3,168,095 times
Funny,

A lot of my family who grew up in that area, all moved down to the Tampa St. Pete area 35 years ago, for a better life. Now, seems like the migration is in reverse.

Of any part of Western NC, Asheville is definitely the best. I lived about 30 miles East of there for 5 years. To do much of anything besides hunt or fish, you have to go to Asheville.

Old 09-05-2006, 05:16 PM

5,660 posts, read 18,373,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
Funny,

A lot of my family who grew up in that area, all moved down to the Tampa St. Pete area 35 years ago, for a better life. Now, seems like the migration is in reverse.

Of any part of Western NC, Asheville is definitely the best. I lived about 30 miles East of there for 5 years. To do much of anything besides hunt or fish, you have to go to Asheville.
Yep, entertainment in the Mountain Region of NC is about outdoor activities for the most part, like hunting, fishing, whitewater, rock-hunting, waterfalls, hiking, observing nature and exploring. I doubt city folk would be happy here after a few weeks.

Last edited by mm34b; 07-10-2008 at 05:31 PM..

Old 12-03-2006, 04:31 PM

39 posts, read 125,716 times
Thank you for the insight. I will check the school system and keep your ideas in mind. Thanks so much!!

Old 07-10-2008, 04:52 PM

6 posts, read 25,347 times
Asheville high is a dangerous school but reynolds and roberson are very good

Old 07-10-2008, 07:23 PM

3,446 posts, read 4,749,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Yep, entertainment in the Mountain Region of NC is about outdoor activities for the most part, like hunting, fishing, whitewater, rock-hunting, waterfalls, hiking, observing nature and exploring. I doubt city folk would be happy here after a few weeks.
That's a pretty darn good description of what it's like...and that applies to the city of Asheville and its neighboring cities. Roam far from Asheville and you're in for an experience! Also, your last sentence is very true...unless you simply accept everything as it is.

It's a whole different lifestyle in WNC and the locals have a much different way of looking at things. If you go into Madison County, Haywood County (next door to Bumcome) or across the state line into Tennessee - oh boy! There are a lot of very good people that live there, but there are a LOT of extremely backward people living up in them thar hills... And they rarely take too kindly to outsiders coming 'round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina