Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times

Advertisements

Wow. Money magazines "best 100 small towns in U.S." is out and not one town in WNC made the list. But even more surprsing is not one single town in all of North Carolina is on there!
Although I love reading these "best of lists" Money mags lists always surprise me with the criteria, and what places come out on top.

I think they are too heavy on the "data" and remise on the reality of what makes a great small town. And more specifically what small towns are really popular with the people.

I can't believe towns like Hunters Creek Fl. are more appealing than say Brevard, Black Mtn, or Franklin N.C. Quality of life must not be an important factor on their list.
Money Mag: Louisville, CO, is best small town in the country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 06:36 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,486,142 times
I think one of the criteria is easy access to top medical care, other than Brevard with it's proximity to Asheville, those other's really don't. Could you imagine have a major stroke in Franklin NC? But yes, I'm not impressed with their bias of all things north.

Cheap household goods and foods are usually a determining factor, as well as activities for targeted for "typical" retirees. Groceries/Drugs/hardware in all mountain towns tend to be a noticeable percentage more. Taxes are a major player in their criteria, and NC is most definitely not tax friendly.

Plenty of people don't fit the mold they are listing for, but they are targeting Joe Public and the age bracket that reads their publication. I remember them listing Alpharetta, Ga a few years back. Can you imagine retiring in a Commuter/Master Planned Community, with cookie cutter homes and fences for a view, filled with those caught up in that rat race called "your 30's." Thank you no.

Sidenote: I notice most of their choices are too damn cold in the winter, or have long winter. I'll pass.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 08-18-2011 at 06:48 AM..

Old 08-18-2011, 06:50 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,527,922 times
Easily Amused I think you have nailed it regarding the health care issue. That is a big determining factor with them. And probably too jobs or lack thereof. Which we all know is not good in WNC.

But still what about Duke University. Some of the best hc in U.S. I'm surprised Cary or some smaller town in that area didn't make the list. There seem to be so many great small towns in N.C.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:54 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
You're exactly right Booya, NC has made so many lists they just want to give TX and CO a chance now; and they are popping up on lists recently. It's a big wonderful country, full of small towns, but access to good medical care is more important these days not only for seniors, but for everyone. (With Obamacare looming, it could get scarey.)

It may be that towns like Cary, Asheville etc. have made not only CNN's list, but other lists in the recent past. I don't take much credence to these "lists" either. There are also some websites where you can search for your perfect place by answering several questions on your wants and needs. (These sites seem to be outdated, however.)

There are so many "lists" and they seem to rotate, and keep the writers busy. Wouldn't it be great to have a job traveling around the country to sample and investigate these lovely areas, and then write an advice column on the results.... from a posh motorhome.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:57 AM

358 posts, read 982,593 times
After looking around a bit, it seems as if Asheville is too large, population wise, to be considered a "small town," in relation to the other towns on this list. That may be the sole reason.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:24 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
After looking around a bit, it seems as if Asheville is too large, population wise, to be considered a "small town," in relation to the other towns on this list. That may be the sole reason.

Not specific to Asheville. The State of NC is chock full of small towns. They simply didn't qualify for the lists this time around.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:55 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,602,776 times
Imo, these arts are like Yahoo! snippets and fillers...if I had one of some item from every 'best of' list, I would need a warehouse. And, if I paid attention to 'great places to live', I would be moving to the next 'there' a few times a year. An interesting time filler for shut ins, but I could not care less...

MA & NJ, with 'taxes' criteria, lmao!
GL, mD

Old 08-18-2011, 04:43 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
MA & NJ, with 'taxes' criteria, lmao!
And you have to look at what kind of financial shape these states are in.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:42 PM

700 posts, read 1,645,815 times
Been there. Be glad you are not ranked.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:30 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Aren't you glad they AREN'T on the list? There wasn't much from Florida either, (where I live) and some of the places on the list aren't even "towns" but suburbs.

The way places get RUINED are when they come out on too many lists - the sheeples then flock there! So, I for one am glad some of my favorite little towns aren't on the list. As others have mentioned, those lists are meaningless anyway. Everyone has different criteria as to what makes a "best" for them individually, and it's usually different from those who make those lists!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina