Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:00 AM

4 posts, read 3,322 times

Advertisements

We found a darling home in Hot Springs, well, on Bluff Mountain. We haven't been there yet. Although we want some "space" we do not want to be isolated completely as we want to find a good group of conscious folk. If we got jobs in Asheville, would the commute be too much? If so, trying to get a read on employment opportunities in closer towns like Waynesville, Hot Springs, Weaverville. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 09:54 AM

679 posts, read 1,460,578 times
I wouldn't think that would be an easy commute, especially when the weather turns and winter sets in. My guess is you would find it impossible during some parts of the winter months as storms roll through.

Let's go back a step: what type of employment? A word of warning, when you wander into employment, you have found the Achilles heel of this area.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:04 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,241 times
not sure what conscious people are. Hot Springs is a bit isolated and the roads to and from the interstate are beautiful might not be so good for traveling in the winter.

When I was last in the area house looking I found the people I met reminded me of my appalachian grandmother and I slipped back into her dialect so I am not sure what you mean by conscious people. And I found driving out to Morristown TN through the Cherokee Forest was quicker than driving to Asheville.

Bottom line, Hot Springs would be a good place for vacation house, a good place to have a summer house, but I am not sure that it would be a good place for school age kids, employment or commuting.

Good luck and hope this helps

Old 08-23-2011, 10:10 AM

675 posts, read 1,815,735 times
How far is it? We have the same thought like you for buying a house, but it's pretty far from where we work.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:25 AM

you can mapquest the distance but it is more the two lane roads, up or down a mountain, alongside a river that make the factors what they are as much as the distance.

it appealed to me very much. but then you think of practical things like grocery stores, hospitals, libraries, schools, things like that...

Old 08-23-2011, 06:27 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
To the OP, We have casual friends with a summer 'home'/rustic cabin on Bluff Mtn Rd...it's an hourish to A'ville, depending on 'where' in A'ville, and driving normally in summer. Winter could be a nightmare. Agree with all posters above; it is fairly remote and spartan in the area, esp with kids and a Fam, imo. Even a long way for a loaf of bread and a jug of milk...

As for employment in Waynesville: I live in W'ville, and the dearth of 'employment opps' here is similar to many smaller towns in western, NC.
GL, mD

Old 09-01-2011, 07:09 PM

Many thanks to you all. Hot Springs Elementary School got very high marks but the kids want more of a neighborhood feel than we have right now on our 100 acre farm. We already live 40 minutes from the grocery store where we are now. Although country life in the middle of nowhere is peaceful, we are all ready to be a bit more accessible to friends and work. Fairview is another option.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:30 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeinheart View Post
Many thanks to you all. Hot Springs Elementary School got very high marks but the kids want more of a neighborhood feel than we have right now on our 100 acre farm. We already live 40 minutes from the grocery store where we are now. Although country life in the middle of nowhere is peaceful, we are all ready to be a bit more accessible to friends and work. Fairview is another option.
Fairview is lovely but has no "town" per se. You may be interested more in Weaverville (just north of Asheville), quaint small town, nice mountain views and rolling land, easy access to Asheville. Black Mountain ( is east of Asheville), would also fit your needs from what you've said.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM

Excellent suggestions

I grew up in Black Mountain and it may meet your needs, and if you like the north side Weaverville.

Have tried to go back home to black mountain, but it has been priced out of my market. unless luck were to come my way.

Anyway, wish you all good luck and hope you find your way to the best place for you

It was great growing up in Black Mountain where you made your money during tourist season and settled in for the winter with the local/natives. I would like to find that again, myself.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:07 PM

We are doing a whirlwind tour of homes this week. I heard of a website called couchsurfers from a friend who uses it to find people to stay with when they travel and have much luck. In return they register to host others wanting to stay in their FL home. It sounds pretty cool and they've met some nice people, but I saw nothing on there about the Asheville area. We had planned to just camp but looks like bad weather all week. Any ideas? I saw one hostel along the App trail but didn't see any others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina