U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:29 PM

526 posts, read 597,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
A lot of useful info, since we are considering buying a second home (eventual retirement home) in the Brevard, Hendersonville or Flat Rock areas (posted a question elsewhere before I came across this thread). We visited all of these areas. I think it could be nitpicking to say a place is "in the mountains," vs "on a mountain" or "surrounded by mountains," but I imagine geographers do make such destinations, especially if the place is substantially lower than the mountains around it (e.g., Death Valley). I'd probably describe Hendersonville, and perhaps Brevard as well, as being in a mountain valley, to differentiate it from much lower, and decidedly unmountainous, areas such as Greenville/Spartanburg, but I'm not a geographer.

We looked at homes just outside Flat Rock and Hendersonville, and in Connestee Falls near Brevard. Brevard also struck us as a bit more isolated than the others, in terms of proximity to other towns and to airports, but that could be a blessing (e.g., to escape the traffic of Asheville). I did worry about the amount of snow we might encounter in Connestee Falls. I'm retired so wouldn't worry about a job. I would probably relax, walk and do volunteer work at a humane society (Asheville has a particularly nice one, and that's a ways from Brevard, but there is a shelter in Brevard). A little concerned about snow, especially at Connestee, but I intend to return in January-February to get a better look (of course, we could hit heavy snow or none at all).
No worries about the weather in Connestee. If you come home and there is snow on the road there is someone to drive you to your house, you leave your car at the gate. They love to plow the roads there, first snowflake and they have the plows out. It doesn't matter what time it is, they will plow in the middle of the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 07:18 AM

5,813 posts, read 5,730,708 times
Default Gettin' up there

First, you have to get to the gate(s).

Old 10-05-2011, 08:11 AM

1,041 posts, read 945,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
LOL, you're a cranky one aren't you there bud? It's a good 45-50 minute drive to Asheville from Brevard, no two ways about it. That's more than half an hour, so it's relatively far compared to, say, Swannanoa. Hell, even Waynesville is a good 15 minutes closer than Brevard. I understand that you like the place, but you can't go spreading false information. Also, depending on where you're talking about in Madison, you can most definitely get to Asheville quicker. Especially from Mars Hill and Marshall. In fact, for comparison, a town in Madison that is as far away as Brevard would be Hot Springs - a 45 minute drive.
false info? no.....I can make it to Asheville in 40 minutes....Ive even made it in 35 minutes(Brevard side of Aville keep in mind) on several occasions when traffic was very light.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
First, you have to get to the gate(s).
Never had a problem. I've driven from town and not seen any snow until I got to the gate on East Fork.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:57 AM

2,561 posts, read 3,308,614 times
One would think that 'western NC' is located somewhere between Leadville and Loveland Pass, CO at 10,000 ft elevation+, from some of the 'winter driving alert' comments. If one has to get out to work, every day, yes there may be some days when it is foolish, difficult, impossible. One can usually count those days on their hands, almost anywhere in western NC, even at the high/north facing elevations...

For RetiredBums, the need to go somewhere, 'everyday', diminishes, in my experience.

NEway, hope the OP finds what they want, where they want it; my only rec'd is to look, look, and look some more, which may require more than a weekish trip, to a couple spots. There are pages of homes, in communities, in golf areas, for sale and, will continue for the long future, imo.
GL, mD

Old 10-05-2011, 12:08 PM

5,813 posts, read 5,730,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
One would think that 'western NC' is located somewhere between Leadville and Loveland Pass, CO at 10,000 ft elevation+, from some of the 'winter driving alert' comments. If one has to get out to work, every day, yes there may be some days when it is foolish, difficult, impossible. One can usually count those days on their hands, almost anywhere in western NC, even at the high/north facing elevations...

For RetiredBums, the need to go somewhere, 'everyday', diminishes, in my experience.

NEway, hope the OP finds what they want, where they want it; my only rec'd is to look, look, and look some more, which may require more than a weekish trip, to a couple spots. There are pages of homes, in communities, in golf areas, for sale and, will continue for the long future, imo.
GL, mD

Well, you're right MD. 'Cept I had to work in them 'thar hills and valleys, and many days having clients in the car taking the Smoky Mountain Tour, I had to make the decision to either go around the mountain, up the mountain, down the mountain, don't show homes higher up, or cancel the appt and go out in the afternoon when the sun had melted the roads.

Still love them thar hills and valleys, but retired now, going to Venice Beach tomorrow.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:10 PM

3,690 posts, read 2,227,765 times
Quote:

GL, mD
Too funny. And I agree.
Me thinks they are making a mountain out of a molehill.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:31 PM

1 posts, read 991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamflower View Post
Wow ShipOfFools, thank you for the information! I donít mind if the place isnít quaint, as long as it doesnít feel like State college. Iím sick of rich drunken college students and overprice housingÖalthough that seems like it might be a problem in Brevard too.

Iím starting to think that a small city may be better for us as far as employment options, housing, and amenities go.
I live outside of Brevard, up in Connesste Falls and go into Brevard quite a bit. I do not believe I have ever seen a drunken college student anywhere. Truth be told, I haven't seen many drunken people since we moved to WNC four years ago. I have recently seen a good number of reasonably priced homes in the Brrvard area, coming on the market. I do not, however, think this is an area where there are many job opportunities.
TomFr

Old 10-05-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfr View Post
I live outside of Brevard, up in Connesste Falls and go into Brevard quite a bit. I do not believe I have ever seen a drunken college student anywhere. Truth be told, I haven't seen many drunken people since we moved to WNC four years ago. I have recently seen a good number of reasonably priced homes in the Brrvard area, coming on the market. I do not, however, think this is an area where there are many job opportunities.
TomFr
I don't think I have either, come to think of it.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:33 PM

1,976 posts, read 1,935,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
false info? no.....I can make it to Asheville in 40 minutes....Ive even made it in 35 minutes(Brevard side of Aville keep in mind) on several occasions when traffic was very light.
LOL, yeah, and I can make it to Asheville in 20. If I haul ass. I think you get my point. No, actually, I know you get my point.

Quote:
LOL! Couldn't agree with you more. I have lived here for 4.5 years so far, and I have NEVER once had to stay home due to road conditions. There have been days where I had to be on my guard for other idjits on the road who have no idea what I'm doing, but if you have any common sense driving ability, the snow here is a complete joke. The ice is worse, but still not very bad. Seriously, unless you're going to be living in the border country near TN, the snow issue need not even be brought up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina