Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 15,240 times

Advertisements

My family and I would like to relocate to North Carolina from State College, PA (we actually live in a small town called Pine Grove Mills, about 10-15min drive from downtown State College.) We're looking for some place small, but not totally devoid of entertainment and shopping (I grew up in the country with the nearest grocery store a 30 minute drive - not what I want to do!) How is commuting within Brevard and the surrounding areas? Public transportation? Is it possible to walk/bike most places in town? Employment opportunities? What is the minimum wage in NC?

I want to attend a community college, and it looks like Blue Ridge CC has a campus in Brevard. It's also important to us to live near a Quaker Meeting House, but it looks like there's on in Brevard, so that shouldn't be an issue. We're really love being outdoors, and this seems to be a good spot for hiking. We have a dog and a 1-year-old son. Is this a good place for a small family? Will it be hard for us to find pet-friendly housing? We'll be renting, since we're only planning on staying in the area until I finish school, unless we come to love the place.

Any information you can give me that may be helpful is much appreciated it. We'll visit in the spring, but I'd like to get an idea of the town before we drive down. Thank you very much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 12:15 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
Do some thorough reading of the threads in this forum, using 'Search This Forum' tab, upper right hand corner. You should find pages of informative threads on 'Brevard'. And, some xperts on Brevard will surely post...
GL, mD

Old 09-22-2011, 01:43 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,491 times
Dreamflower I too love Brevard. It is a wonderful little town. I have friends who are renting on Connesttee falls for a long term rental and they have a dog.

There seems to be a lot of houses for rent and for sale in the area so I would think you should be able to find pet friendly pretty easily.
There is also Brevard College right in town. It is a very walkable and pleasant town with looks of great hiking/biking. Good luck!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:01 PM

385 posts, read 1,112,487 times
Brevard has a nice little downtown. It sort of feels like something from a movie because it is so quaint. It is one of the nicer towns in western North Carolina. In terms of shopping, I think there is a little belk store in Brevard so you don't have to drive to a mall for clothes shopping. And Asheville isn't too far. Hiking in that area is GREAT. Especially along the blue ridge parkway at Black Balsam/Shinking Rock. Even closer is the lovely Mills River. Also looking Glass Rock.

I think the main campus of Blue Ridge CC is in Flat Rock, near Hendersonville, which is not far from Brevard either. Hendersonville is a slightly bigger town than Brevard and will offer you a few more amenities.

I always wondered what people who live in Brevard did for a living other than teaching at Brevard College or working at summer camps (there are a lot of them in that area.) I would definitely consider living in Brevard myself... It is a picturesque little town in a great natural setting. There are a couple of restaurants there that I always go to when I'm hiking in the area... Jordan Street Cafe, the Irish Pub, and Quotations Coffee Shop... Sometimes I stop for Gelato at Kiwi Gelato. There is a coffee roastery in town and a chocolate shop. There are a few more restaurants I haven't mentioned as well. For a small town there is a nice array. Poppy's is a health food market which used to be wonderful but I hear they are having to move. There is a little one screen theater downtown in Brevard called the co-ed and I think there are movie theaters in Hendersonville.

Last edited by corvidae; 09-22-2011 at 03:10 PM..

Old 09-22-2011, 08:26 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,845,838 times
I, for one, have never quite understood the hype about Brevard. It's not in a very mountainous area, the town itself is less "quaint" than just small, and there's nothing near there for employment. It's just a little too far from Asheville for people to be able to commute (although I'm sure some people do), and there's not enough good stuff there to make it worth the high cost of housing (relatively). Of course, this is all just my opinion; I know tons of people who love Brevard. My sister went to Camp Illahee down there, and yeah there are a bunch of summer camps.

The Transylvania County campus of Blue Ridge CC is in Brevard, and the main campus is in Flat Rock, but just barely. It's right there next to Hendersonville. Obviously there's Brevard College, which is an expensive, private college with a wealthy, mostly white student body. It contributes to the weird, mixed vibe that the town has overall.

One thing that's GREAT about Brevard is the Brevard Music Center. I've seen Doc Watson down there, among many others. Fantastic place.

You won't have to drive 30 minutes to shop living in Brevard. That's what I have to do, LOL. Your biggest obstacle, depending on your budget, might be finding affordable housing. With the college being there and the town becoming more popular, housing is on the expensive side. But that's everywhere in WNC right now, honestly.

Overall, if it were me, I wouldn't live in Brevard because it's too far south and not mountainous enough. I doubt if it ever snows there, although that may be good news to you. It's not to me. The best thing down there is the hiking and the waterfalls. Those are not overrated; they are truly great. Come on down and take a look for yourself! Good luck!

P.S. - I should add that when I say it's not mountainous, I'm talking about it compared to other towns in WNC. It's right next to some big mountains though, and it's certainly a lot better than Hendersonville. Still, the town itself is in a pretty flat spot, and I don't find it to be all that scenic until you get west of town into the mountains.

Last edited by ShipOfFools42; 09-22-2011 at 08:40 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 03:40 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,528,491 times
Thanks ShipOfFools I always value your input. You don't think it's quaint? But you are right I wish it was higher elevation. I like it that you can pop right up to the Blue Ridge Pkwy and all the hiking etc.
I do wish the downtown area was a bit more exciting.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:09 AM

385 posts, read 1,112,487 times
For a town the size that Brevard is, I think it is nice that there aren't many vacant storefronts and that sort of thing. I lived in Seneca SC for a while and they could only get enough business for one street, Ram Cat Alley, and even that had a few vacant storefronts. A lot of little towns like that are depressed. I guess you could argue that there could be more interesting stores in Brevard but it has a couple of good things going for it.

Brevard is at the foot of some really big mountains. But not in them. It isn't like Highlands or Blowing Rock or Boone and ON the mountains. I used to drive up from Greenville SC and it seemed like heaven though... Not much of a fan of Greenville. Asheville is a little better. However I would rather live NEAR asheville than IN Asheville, personally.

Oh, I forgot to mention about Dupont State Forest earlier in terms of Brevard hiking. It has a huge network of trails and some great for mountain biking. I knew someone who lived in Brevard and liked to run on the trails there as well.

I've definitely seen snow in the Brevard area. I used to drive up there from SC just to be able to see snow.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:01 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Ideally, for several reasons that the OP lists, halfway between Hendersonville and Brevard, somewhere along Rt. 64, or along Crab Creek Road (Transylvania County and Hendersonville County Line is at Dupont St.Forest rd.) would suit their needs. Easy access to either Brevard, Hendersonville and out 280 if you need to get to Asheville and better shopping.

We used to say Brevard is wonderful, but you "can't get here from there". There won't be a lot more development in the Brevard area because it is up against the Pisgah Forest pretty much; unless you go out Rt. 64W to the Rosman area for land, then you are getting into another "territory" and further away from amenities.

Nice areas along Rt. 64 and or Rt. 280:

Mills River, Etowah, Horse Shoe, Pisgah Forest, Penrose. Some lovely spread out small subdivisions/developed land (not cookie cutter by any means) along those roads. They are "hidden" up side roads and you have to seek them out, and get a good Realtor to show you neighborhoods, communities, etc. Crab Creek Road is beautiful, lovely properties hidden in those hills. Pleasant Grove Road will lead you from Rt. 280 and eventually up Davis Mountain Road, Rambling Ridge. Etc. Etc.. All easily accessible to the main campus of the Blue Ridge CC, and also keep in mind great medical care in Henderson County and/or Buncombe County. Brevard is also known to be a "rain forest", expect plenty of rain there all summer long.

No need to live inside Brevard. Walk around, go to the festivals, go to the Porter Center, Music Center all fine and nearby. But you also want to have access to Hendersonville which has so much to offer.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:11 AM

4 posts, read 15,240 times
Wow ShipOfFools, thank you for the information! I don’t mind if the place isn’t quaint, as long as it doesn’t feel like State college. I’m sick of rich drunken college students and overprice housing…although that seems like it might be a problem in Brevard too.

I’m starting to think that a small city may be better for us as far as employment options, housing, and amenities go.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:06 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,534,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamflower View Post
Wow ShipOfFools, thank you for the information! I don’t mind if the place isn’t quaint, as long as it doesn’t feel like State college. I’m sick of rich drunken college students and overprice housing…although that seems like it might be a problem in Brevard too.

I’m starting to think that a small city may be better for us as far as employment options, housing, and amenities go.

What type of employmet options? The employment situation in western NC is not good; and please make sure you have employment before relocating.... anywhere, in this recession. Brevard in particular, and most of western NC is a huge retirement area, there is only retail, tourist type activities, and a very small medical community. l There are other threads that you can search on the city-data that will give you a better idea of the job situation and lack thereof. (And sorry ShipOfFools, Hendersonville is awesome, quaint, historic and excellent schools.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina