Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:31 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

It all sounds similar to what it looks like here.

I was talking to a friend of mine who has lived up north in various states. We were talking about the color being more vivid there, but he said he prefers it here because the whole autumn season lasts much longer.

It is amazing how even when the peak is over, there is still color and the autumn look constantly changes moods as it winds down.

I think early autumn is pretty too with just a few trees in color against all the green.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 07:47 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,243,775 times
mD,
I love your driveway. Your points about elevation explain why my folks thought their drive up on the Parkway here in Asheville was so pretty, it goes up and down and all around, plus it's ALL trees.
GG

Old 10-13-2011, 07:59 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
Yeah, you sure do have a nice looking place up there David. You sticking around this winter, or are you doing the Florida thing for good now?

I couldn't imagine letting a house like that sit while I was down in hot, sticky Florida. But then, you all know how I feel about winter time.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:16 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
gigimac: thanks...but that driveway is a test for visitors, UPS guy, et al. Backing in is the preferred route.
ShipofFools: thanks. We got the '5 Year Full Time on the Mtn Pin' a few years ago; we migrate for a few winter months now.

Here's a typical shot from the deck, from last week; it looks like 'high color' but it was the low angle sunset rays that gave it more snap than normal, and 'juiced' a tad with internal cam settings and, a lil' Lightroom. Long shot, so it looks soft, and those are 5,000 to 6,000+ ft peaks/ridges, so the color had already tiptoed in.
BR, mD
Attached Thumbnails
Leaves changing quickly-somecolorsunset-10-6-11-lr-reduce.jpg  

Last edited by motordavid; 10-13-2011 at 08:27 AM..

Old 10-15-2011, 07:20 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Any updates to the leaf situation? We're going up to the mountains tomorrow and I'm chasing leaves to figure out the best spot to travel to.

Anyone been to the Pisgah area. What area around the Parkway is around peak and pretty?

Thanks in advance for any advice of where to plan our road trip.

Old 10-15-2011, 10:49 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,029,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Any updates to the leaf situation? We're going up to the mountains tomorrow and I'm chasing leaves to figure out the best spot to travel to.

Anyone been to the Pisgah area. What area around the Parkway is around peak and pretty?

Thanks in advance for any advice of where to plan our road trip.
We did Boone to Linville Friday. Nice colors but very gusty winds are blowing a lot of the leaves off. Some trees are fully defoliated so the distant views are blots of color in the midst of bare patches.

For a weekend, I'd head up there early. We were on the Parkway around 10 and all the major spots were very crowded. Couldn't get into Moses Cone Manor because there was no place to park (didn't help that the land barge RVs took up 3 spots each ). Heading toward the Linville Viaduct, all the pullouts that provided the best photo ops were full. It would be the day that our small car was in the shop and I had to drive our big @ss truck I just chalked it up to "oh well, I'll know better next year."

I know that the BRP is THE place to go for leaf peeping but there are other areas. I took this pic a few years ago at the Mt. Rogers area of SW Virginia

We were driving around the little state roads on a Saturday and there was no one there.

I have a set of topo maps that I use during motorcycle rides. You can find some really pretty areas tucked away from the main roads.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:26 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,844,856 times
Here's something to note regarding the leaves:

Frost Advisory
Statement as of 10:37 AM EDT on October 15, 2011

... Frost advisory remains in effect from midnight tonight to 9 am
EDT Sunday...

* locations... North Carolina mountain valleys.

* Temperatures... lows in the mid to upper 30s overnight... with
isolated freezing temperatures in a few locations.

* Impacts... areas of frost expected... with isolated freezing
temperatures possible in the most sheltered mountain valleys.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A frost advisory means that frost is possible. Sensitive outdoor
plants may be killed if left uncovered.

Hopefully it won't totally murder all the color. Our color here has been dampened, it seems, but it's still very impressive in places, and the maple tree in our yard is just now getting into full swing. That thing is gonna be really really bright red in a few days.

High Country folks: how is the color holding up there? I am hoping to make a trip to Boone next weekend most likely, and was hoping some color would be holding out for my trip. I'm going to do some scouting of ASU. Anyone who can let me know, please do. Thanks.

Great shot by the way David. It's definitely brighter colors than that down here in the low elevations. At least it is 1.25 hours northeast of you.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:46 AM

DiddlyDudette,
Since you mentioned Pisgah, today's "news" post at the Pisgah Inn website said to come within the next three days if you want to catch the colors, so sounds like you'll go at the right time tomorrow, as you've planned. But, one thing I've noticed is in the bright sun of midday, the leaves get mighty washed out here in Asheville, so PLEZ if there's any way you can get on the Parkway at least a couple hours before noon, and really the earlier the better, the leaves will look their best and the cooler morning air will make those "Smokey" cloud drifts off the hills and valleys going up there, and the bonus is you can eat lunch at Pisgah Inn, which is a very pleasant place to be. By the way, you can see the REAL Cold Mountain from the busy parking lot, it's to the right as you stand out in front of the Inn.

When you return, consider instead of covering the same ground, try cutting off the Parkway at the Inn, over to the National Forest road that goes south down into Brevard, a couple waterfalls along the way to stop and look at, plus it's shady thru there so the colors will show well even tho it will be early afternoon, just ask at the Inn how to get over, the dogleg exit is spitting distance from there. When you get towards the bottom of that road, I believe it's just past the Looking Glass Falls, there's a ranger station on the left, it's worth it to stop there and walk on their trail, really well-done, a little bridge thru the woods there. We expect pics, if you can! I am very excited for you!
GG

Old 10-15-2011, 11:49 AM

Ship Of Fools,
You asked about Boone, and if you'll read just above your post, Silverwing talked about the whole situation way up there right now, so that should help you!
GG

Old 10-15-2011, 01:03 PM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigimac View Post
DiddlyDudette,
Since you mentioned Pisgah, today's "news" post at the Pisgah Inn website said to come within the next three days if you want to catch the colors, so sounds like you'll go at the right time tomorrow, as you've planned. But, one thing I've noticed is in the bright sun of midday, the leaves get mighty washed out here in Asheville, so PLEZ if there's any way you can get on the Parkway at least a couple hours before noon, and really the earlier the better, the leaves will look their best and the cooler morning air will make those "Smokey" cloud drifts off the hills and valleys going up there, and the bonus is you can eat lunch at Pisgah Inn, which is a very pleasant place to be. By the way, you can see the REAL Cold Mountain from the busy parking lot, it's to the right as you stand out in front of the Inn.

When you return, consider instead of covering the same ground, try cutting off the Parkway at the Inn, over to the National Forest road that goes south down into Brevard, a couple waterfalls along the way to stop and look at, plus it's shady thru there so the colors will show well even tho it will be early afternoon, just ask at the Inn how to get over, the dogleg exit is spitting distance from there. When you get towards the bottom of that road, I believe it's just past the Looking Glass Falls, there's a ranger station on the left, it's worth it to stop there and walk on their trail, really well-done, a little bridge thru the woods there. We expect pics, if you can! I am very excited for you!
GG
Awesome GiGimac, you have helped so much. I've been looking at the map trying to figure out a route. I appreciate the suggestion to come back a different route...you read my mind.

I'm in Greenville, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to hit the Parkway and go to Pisgah and possible eat at Pisgah Inn for lunch and come back the way you suggested for the different scenery. Glad you mentioned about seeing Cold Mtn. from parking lot. I wouldn't have known if you hadn't mentioned. That sounds like a good plan and thanks so much for letting me know according to the Pisgah Inn news that we'll be there at just the right time. Now, I'm extra excited.

We were planning to leave at 10am but perhaps we'll leave at 7-8am to beat the crowd and to get in the best color.

As far as the Looking Glass Falls, how far into there will we see the bridge. I love love love to hike but unfortunately one person going with me tomorrow has one bum knee so can't do too much walking. Maybe if not too far into the trail, we can walk in a little ways. It's going to kill me to be near so many wonderful trails and not want to just take off.

Thanks again so much.

Silverwing, thanks so much for your post also. It was helpful and wonderful pics btw. Glad you enjoyed your trip except for that darned big truck. lol

Last edited by diddlydudette; 10-15-2011 at 01:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina