Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 02:01 AM

215 posts, read 569,105 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I will need to choose an elementary school for my 2 boys who will be in K and grade 3, they will need to start asap once we get there around January time.
I think we will be looking at Asheville city public schools, we need to be close to downtown and will rent a house at first, probably within city limits.
I have contacted admissions to see which schools have spaces in these year groups, not had reply yet, so in meantime keen to hear your views, experiences of these schools.
I have also looked on greatschools website, but good to hear from any parents/teachers etc on here too!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:58 AM

279 posts, read 533,770 times
You should call Hall Fletcher and arrange a tour. I know they have openings and it's usually a 10 minute trip from downtown in the afternoon.

People give us the stinkeye when we tell them we send our son there, tell us it's "too ghetto," etcetera, but we think it's a good fit for us. The school gets extra funding for a variety of special-needs programs and has a very involved group of volunteers.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
since i've read a couple of your posts about your business ideas, you may like Evergreen Community Charter School

it's very close to down town - and what other school offers waste free lunches ?

Old 09-23-2011, 07:39 PM

90 posts, read 345,830 times
My son has been going to Jones Elementary for 2+ years and he loves it. It was a bit of a transition for him in Kindergarten because he came from Montessori. We almost thought about trying to switch him to Evergreen but are glad now that we didn't. Jones has far more diversity which appeals to us. He has fully adjusted and is thriving now.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:52 AM

215 posts, read 569,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslamp32 View Post
My son has been going to Jones Elementary for 2+ years and he loves it. It was a bit of a transition for him in Kindergarten because he came from Montessori. We almost thought about trying to switch him to Evergreen but are glad now that we didn't. Jones has far more diversity which appeals to us. He has fully adjusted and is thriving now.
Thanks, I am trying to find out which schools have spaces and if Jones does will check it out too. What are class sizes like there?

Old 09-26-2011, 06:56 PM

34 posts, read 69,585 times
Have you looked at Isaac Dickson Elementary -that is an excellent school and quite diverse.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:35 PM

279 posts, read 533,770 times
Yesterday, I went on a field trip to a working farm with all the kindergarteners from Hall-Fletcher. It's been 40 years since I was in kindergarten. Those kids kicked my butt. I got dogpiled a couple times and had a blast with them. Slept like a rock.

We went to Carrier Park later, my truck full of apples and pumpkins that the kids picked. Cargo space in the buses was full of wheelchairs.

At the park, I ran into someone who taught there for 22 years. I asked what he thought about the rotten comments people keep making about Hall Fletcher online. I prefaced this with an explanation of how we did all the open houses and chose the school from out of district as our first choice.

He chose not to address the negative stuff. Instead, he went on and on and on about the quality of the staff and how great the new principal is and how many other schools were vying for him and how surprised he was that Hall Fletcher got him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina