U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 05:26 PM

4,286 posts, read 12,627,794 times

Advertisements

Planning to take a drive to Asheville next week but only if the leaves have started to change. Can someone that lives in that area let me know? Thx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 05:33 PM

700 posts, read 1,309,957 times
That might be the be best week to see. Minus rain and wind.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:39 PM

3,838 posts, read 6,854,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Planning to take a drive to Asheville next week but only if the leaves have started to change. Can someone that lives in that area let me know? Thx!
Dunno what area of 'Asheville' you plan to drive around, but at the high elevations, eg mtn ridges and peaks one usually 'sees' driving around in western NC, it has already changed...in the areas of 4,000 ft up, it is full color going fast, or stripped by the winds & rain this week, or fading quickly. Below ~3,000 ft, it is getting very close.

Unless you are driving the low level 'burbs', I would not hesitate...
GL, mD

Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 AM

4,272 posts, read 2,271,162 times
I would come tomorrow (Monday) if possible as the weather and leaves are spectacular, but they are saying rain for tuesday and wednesday. Highs today in high 70s with another great blue-sky day.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:11 AM

4,286 posts, read 12,627,794 times
I cant come until wed but thanks and thanks to everyone for the info.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:48 PM

1,531 posts, read 3,152,198 times
I would like to jump in here ....

we are having company arriving today and were planning a half day (tomorrow) to spend on the blue ridge parkway (driving on the parkway and a shorter hike would be great) to admire our beautiful fall here in the mountains
we live in south asheville. were would you go from here ? what's the closest, but still scenic part ? and maybe a nice restaurant for lunch on the way ?

we were planning on a whole day (wednesday) but due the forecast we changed the plans to a half day tomorrow.

thanks so much

(and, it's my mother in law and she lives right next to the alps in germany, so the pressure is on )

Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM

442 posts, read 1,239,651 times
Queen - I would get on the BRP at the WNC Arboretum and head west/south - Devil's Courthouse is a good short hike (one mile and it's paved) but it is pretty steep, again though only a mile. Also at Graveyard Fields there is a nice hike and you don't need to walk the entire hike. It's pretty there because there is water. Have fun! Not sure about restaurants.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:48 PM

2,103 posts, read 2,893,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I made the trip to Asheville just yesterday (Sunday, Oct 16).

I came up the parkway from around Table Rock area and drove up past Asheville. We were a bit disappointed in the color and some places looked dead already. Colors weren't that vibrant at all and we were a bit disappointed. Maybe you'll have better luck when you go.

You can view the pics I took to get an idea. Here's the link:

http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/...view=slideshow

Old 10-17-2011, 05:57 PM

442 posts, read 1,239,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I made the trip to Asheville just yesterday (Sunday, Oct 16).

I came up the parkway from around Table Rock area and drove up past Asheville. We were a bit disappointed in the color and some places looked dead already. Colors weren't that vibrant at all and we were a bit disappointed. Maybe you'll have better luck when you go.

You can view the pics I took to get an idea. Here's the link:

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket
Wow - looks like you had a stunning day - you were "disappointed"? - hard to believe...

Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 PM

2,103 posts, read 2,893,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
Wow - looks like you had a stunning day - you were "disappointed"? - hard to believe...
Yes, we really didn't see much color until we got closer to Asheville where the prettier pics were taken. We came up from Devil's Courthouse. There were a few bursts of color here and there but not as much as I've seen in the past.

Maybe we hit it at the wrong time. From the route we took, we saw mostly rust colors....

I wished we had gone further up the parkway toward Mt. Mitchell. It seemed like colors were more abundant past Asheville but we turned around a few miles past the Parkway Info Center.

I go to Lake Jocassee early November so hopefully it'll be pretty there then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina