Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 06:45 PM

16 posts, read 17,914 times

Advertisements

if you are wanting to visit Boone/Blowing Rock/Grandfather mountain?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 07:14 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,621,358 times
If u need to be close to town (hickory) then Lenior makes sense.

Old 10-30-2011, 07:27 PM

I was thinking of searching Lenoir for a house to use for a mountian home for us and a rental all other times. We personally prefer BR/Boone/Banner Elk for the trails and outdoor things. I dont see many rentals in Lenoir which is what concerns me.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:43 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,603,247 times
I would be happy to send you a direct message

Old 10-31-2011, 12:54 PM

606 posts, read 1,975,303 times
Don't forget to consider that US-321 is scheduled to be widened from Blackberry Rd to Possum Hollow. This widening may take as long as three years and will cause massive delays and headaches for those of us who make the drive up the mountain on a daily basis. Detours are limited (Blackberry adds 20 miles to the trek!) and add many minutes and miles to the commute. Mountain City might suit you better as there are more opportunities to get around road construction delays. I have heard that US-421 is scheduled to be worked on, but who knows when! According to NCDOT the project has been tabled.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hymnsinger View Post
Don't forget to consider that US-321 is scheduled to be widened from Blackberry Rd to Possum Hollow. This widening may take as long as three years and will cause massive delays and headaches for those of us who make the drive up the mountain on a daily basis. Detours are limited (Blackberry adds 20 miles to the trek!) and add many minutes and miles to the commute. Mountain City might suit you better as there are more opportunities to get around road construction delays. I have heard that US-421 is scheduled to be worked on, but who knows when! According to NCDOT the project has been tabled.

thx!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:51 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,302,960 times
try vrbo.com and see where the rental are located. they have a page for sales of vacation homes which includes the % of occupancy.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:34 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,525,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresar2004 View Post
I was thinking of searching Lenoir for a house to use for a mountian home for us and a rental all other times. We personally prefer BR/Boone/Banner Elk for the trails and outdoor things. I dont see many rentals in Lenoir which is what concerns me.
But Lenoir is not in the mountains. You lose a lot of elevation quick driving down 321.
When I was house shopping a few years back I became very excited to see an adorable house with a great price, but was disappointed when I realized it was in Lenoir not Blowing Rock even though I believe it was on "Blowing Rock rd".

Old 11-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Booya, I should have been clearer, I am looking more for a house where I can easily access the mountains, trails and areas we love. being 30 min or so away doesnt bother me, however I also want the house to be near things other people like because we want be able to rent the house out the rest of the time.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:34 PM

128 posts, read 221,990 times
Hi,
I think there are not many vacation "mountain" cabins in Lenoir because it's quite a bit lower in elevation and so quite a bit warmer in the summer. I have a thermostat in my car and usually there is a 10 degree difference between Lenoir and Blowing Rock - which makes the difference between comfortable and sweltering. However, I do know of folks whose 2nd home is in the Marion area and they seem to really like it and enjoy the "country" atmosphere as opposed to "mountain" atmosphere. I'm guessing many Charlotte people know this same thing so you are going to have a relatively hard time renting a Lenoir cabin to folks who are looking for a "cool" mountain experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina