U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2011, 09:55 AM

7 posts, read 13,669 times

Advertisements

My parents were raised on Ox Creek Road, mother having been born in 1915, and daddy having been born in 1904. Mother told me that Ox Creek Road was called Taft and that there was even a post office. I am curious about that and have done research for the past several months, but cannot find anything. Would love to know if any of you, or some of your older relatives, know anything about this.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 07:57 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,335,787 times
Default Ox Creek

I have a friend who knows a lot of Ox Creek history will check with her.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:06 AM

Default Ox Creek Info

At one time Ox Creek area was called South Fork and then Taft. On Jump Cove Rd. near the corner of Ox Creek is a red school that was once the Taft Post Office. What was your parents last name Crawford? The historical society located in Weaverville Library has or is going to have the Ox Creek history record. Hope this helps you.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:00 AM

Thank you tsmw47! I figured my mother knew what she was talking about, but it is good to have that verified! I will contact the Historical Society before my next trip to visit my old stomping grounds and make sure they have gotten the Ox Creek info together.

My parents were Derr and Zennie Jones and we lived at what is now called Dogwood Fruit & Berry Farm - just a short distance above the Methodist Church.

I have been gone since 1968 and don't recall a red school at Jump Cove Road. Seems like I vaguely remember a building that was in disrepair when I was a teenager (and I'm 63 years old!) that mother said was once a school house. It was set back off the road on the right as you were going into the curve at Jump Cove Road. Looking on Google it looks like someone has built a house that would be further back and to the left of where I remember that building being. I'm anxious to make a trip home and check out the red school house!

If you are a native we may know each other! My name is Brenda and I graduated from North Buncombe in 1966.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:12 PM

I am not a native but have lived on Ox Creek for about 8 years and love. Our friends (who have now moved to Alabama) managed Dogwood Hills for several years after we moved here. Terrell Jones (a relative?) lives in the old stone house now. I loved to visit the farm and have picked blueberries, strawberries and other fruit there a number of times. There will be a pot luck at the community center 1st Thursday of December 7p.m. you should come and meet some of the folks everyone is really friendly and would love to have you. I have done some research on Ox Creek and copied some of the deeds. I want to get down to the library and see some of pictures they have and information. I love this area and the people!

Old 11-27-2011, 06:58 PM

Terrell is my first cousin! Tell him Brenda (his Uncle Derr's daughter) said hi! We lived in the "other" house out there - not the rock house and not the caretakers house. (From 1951 to 1966. )

Can't make the pot luck in December but may try to visit that area next Spring. I'll send you a message on here, if you don't mind, when we are planning the trip and perhaps we can plan it at a time when there will be a gathering at the community center!

Just knowing you live on Ox Creek and that you have been to the farm makes me homesick! I am so glad you saw my post!

Old 11-27-2011, 09:22 PM

117 posts, read 195,208 times
Default Ox Creek

You might want to be added to the local community list. A couple of interesting articles have been posted recently that originally appeared in the AC-T dating back to the 60s.

ox.creek.email@gmail.com

I'm sure they would be happy to send you the articles as well as add you to the list.

Z

Old 11-28-2011, 07:17 PM

Thanks Z - will do!

Old 12-08-2011, 07:19 PM

Community potlucks will start up again in April. They are always first Thursday of the month at 7pm. Hope I'll get to meet you in the spring. Ox Creek email is good way to keep in touch with what goes on up here. Have a wonderful holiday season.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:17 PM

117 posts, read 195,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCrawford View Post
My parents were raised on Ox Creek Road, mother having been born in 1915, and daddy having been born in 1904. Mother told me that Ox Creek Road was called Taft and that there was even a post office. I am curious about that and have done research for the past several months, but cannot find anything. Would love to know if any of you, or some of your older relatives, know anything about this.
BC ~~ your timing is excellent.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 6:36 PM
Subject: Ox Creek historical scrap books
To:

Many of our Ox Creek neighbors have expressed interest in the history of our community and when the following article came out in the Carolina Public Press, it was felt that many people may find it of interest. The article talks about a number of community clubs, including Ox Creek. The article is full of photographs and to read it in full and see the pictures, simply go to Once hidden and disintegrating, rare scrapbooks cataloguing WNC. If you have a slow speed internet connection and just want to read the article without the pictures, you can just continue reading below.
You may also be interested in knowing that the Dry Ridge Museum (Located in the basement of the Weaverville Library: 41 North Main Street Weaverville NC 28787) will be featuring the history of our Ox Creek Community for a few months starting in March 2012. If anyone has something historical they wish to share (on loan) during this exhibition they are encouraged to contact either Carol Grimes (828) 645-2350 ckgrimes@charter.net or Jan Lawrence Phone: (828) 250-6482 tjlaw@charter.net

Z
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>