U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 12-13-2011, 05:53 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,691,387 times
Default need someone to cut soap stone/granite ?

hey there,

we are almost done installing our wood stove and now figured out, that the existing hole on top of it (stone) was cut too small for the chimney pipe *sigh*

any idea what company/person is able to enlarge the whole just an inch or so ?

we ran into a couple of problems with that stove and right now it's hard to imagine it will EVER work ....

thanks for any input !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-16-2011, 10:39 AM

117 posts, read 83,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
hey there,

we are almost done installing our wood stove and now figured out, that the existing hole on top of it (stone) was cut too small for the chimney pipe *sigh*

any idea what company/person is able to enlarge the whole just an inch or so ?

we ran into a couple of problems with that stove and right now it's hard to imagine it will EVER work ....

thanks for any input !
qofb ~ I'm assuming you can carry it? If so any place that installs sinks in granite countertops will be able to cut it, which is to say any granite retailer. Not sure where you're located so it wouldn't make sense to give a suggestion.

Construction is sooo much fun, isn't it?

Z

Unread 12-16-2011, 02:22 PM

thanks . and, YES ! I live in south asheville and last night we found out, that this top does not even belong to that stove, lol.
the retailer went out of business, so we could not contact him (smart move ) - but then we found a couple of pictures online and none of them showed any kind of stone on top.
so I assume we COULD put in on top, but don't have too. and since we are having so many projects inside and out going on right now we decided to put it aside right now.
but found a place close to airport road today, where they apparently cut granite. I don't even know if it's granite, marble or something else. for sure it's not soapstone. but ... they will know

Unread 12-16-2011, 04:39 PM

qofb ~~ soapstone would be the logical material, not that being smart ever stopped anyone. Both granite and marble would crack from the temperature change.

If it is improvised as you suggest, it may have been used to retain heat. As I'm sure you've seen, there are commercially available wood stoves that are covered in soapstone tiles.

I'm only pointing this out since you have it you may want to hang onto it and use it at some later time and it could prove useful. When you have nothing else to do...

Z

Unread 12-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Did not know you can't use marble, but makes sense. It's getting hot like hell on top of that stove.

this is ours Hwam Monet H in Black

we have this piece of soapstone in the middle and it looks like pictured. the one that goes (or could go) on top looks and feels totally different. I just googled and saw you can actually get black soap stone that looks like marble. I am just wondering why they would use two different materials.

weird. but I am sure, if I take that heavy (but doable) piece of stone to a countertop place, they can tell me what I am dealing with.
too funny, the cutout is too small. what were they thinking ? the pipe came WITH the stove and does not fit ...

thanks for your reply !

Unread 12-16-2011, 10:46 PM

Very stylish!!

Soapstone from Vermont is typically black to gray with modest gray veining which is probably what you have. It is a soft stone and has to be cut with a very sharp saw blade.

There is no cure for stupidity.

Z

Unread 12-17-2011, 07:57 PM

yeah, I like the look a lot. there is even a shelf to keep my tea pot warm. our main reason was the efficiency ... a common gas fire place has 25 % efficiency, our stove has 78% !! only question remains .... how will santa make it into the house on christmas ?

Unread 12-19-2011, 04:31 PM

170 posts, read 163,813 times
Not a home improvement expert, but I do know a little about soapstone.

Stone Carving Large Flat Chisel

18 USD plus shipping. You already have a hammer. Light blows around the perimeter, from inside the existing hole. Soapstone is pretty soft and you want to shave it instead of chiseling it.

Some kind of Dremel tool or sander could do this too. Wear a mask.

You can make a template out of paper, with markings like a ruler radiating out in 6-8 directions, and stick it on the side you are not working on so you can see when you need to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina