Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:26 PM

6 posts, read 9,359 times

Advertisements

I have been offered a job in Franklin NC. I'm in my late 20's and my girlfriend is in her early 20's. She will be quitting her accounting job and coming with me. Firstly, how difficult is it to find work in that area in her field? Also, we consider ourselves very social. We like going out to restaurants, shows, bars, etc. Is there any of that in or around Franklin?
THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2011, 06:02 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,241 times
Wow...

congrats on the job but I would visit first and check on jobs and social life. I am not a fan of Franklin, but it may be just right for you.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:23 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
I live in Waynesville, about an hour 'north', and have only visited Franklin and area on day trips/rides, several times.

The town/downtown are quite small, though well kept. The surrounding large area has good mtns, falls, good two lane black tops, etc. Visually very nice in outer boonies, though sparsely populated.

Population of 'Franklin' is less than ~4k. Elevation is ~2k ft. It is warm in summer, delightful in non-heat months. Good that you have job, though your SO may have a difficult time finding a job in her field and doubtful that it will be in the same ballpark, pay-wise.

Don't know where you are coming 'from', but it is not the 'burbs by any stretch of the imagination.

Having 40 years on the OP, I can't imagine what 20 somethings would find to do there, other than outside activities: a couple of eating joints, a couple of bars, but it could be any small town anywhere in America, imo, and experience.
GL, mD

Net Search is your friend for more basic info:

Franklin, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Town of Franklin North Carolina

Franklin, NC Official Tourism Site | Franklin, North Carolina

Old 12-15-2011, 08:23 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowcountryMountaineer View Post
I have been offered a job in Franklin NC. I'm in my late 20's and my girlfriend is in her early 20's. She will be quitting her accounting job and coming with me. Firstly, how difficult is it to find work in that area in her field? Also, we consider ourselves very social. We like going out to restaurants, shows, bars, etc. Is there any of that in or around Franklin?
THANKS!
Curious to know what kind of job you got in Franklin...

At any rate, Franklin is not a job hotspot for ANY vocation, NONE. Accounting? LoL... not quite.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:36 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
As a non-social 20-something who loves to hike and be outdoors, I'm not sure even I could deal with franklin. I strongly suggest a prolonged visit before making your decision if possible. I can't see anyone who likes the bar/club scene liking franklin.

And well jobs have been covered already. Not sure what you got yours in but it will be extremely difficult if not impossible for your gf. The only thing she has going for her is that almost all companies need an account at some point these days.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:16 AM

Thanks for the info,
also commuting a reasonable distance, say 40-50 mintues, would not be a problem for her. Does that open up any job possibilties?

Old 12-16-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info,
also commuting a reasonable distance, say 40-50 mintues, would not be a problem for her. Does that open up any job possibilties?
No. The only commute would be 3 hours to Atlanta. Asheville is over an hour away, it's the closest "city", but jobs are scarce there too.

Franklin is a nice place to live, but not for jobs or "stuff to do" for kids or younger people. Very religious too.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:47 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,626,918 times
Quote:
THANKS!
Not unless u don't mind the same bars every week. But I don't know. I lived in a town of 8,000 which had lots of bars, it was a commuter area.

Old 12-17-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Not unless u don't mind the same bars every week. But I don't know. I lived in a town of 8,000 which had lots of bars, it was a commuter area.
Here's a little info for you. Macon county (where Franklin is) was DRY until the late 90's. They didnt have a BAR until like 2006, one of which is a "members only" bar, you have to PAY for a membership.

Every time I go back, it takes one more step towards the 21st century, but it's still a long way off...

What's more hypocritical is, there are so few bars and only ONE place you can buy liquor, but there are those ridiculous SWEEPSTAKES places seemingly on every corner

Old 12-19-2011, 01:37 PM

Well, Thanks for the info everybody. At any rate, I may have to ask for more money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina