U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2011, 07:59 PM

2,969 posts, read 2,320,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
The Noseums can be an issue in tall grassy areas that do not have established yards.
That's the exact description of the last place we rented. It was nice house on former pastureland with a creek in back. The whole back was wilder uncultivated grass. In summer, those "noseums" would eat up your legs if you walked on that grass.

Never been attacked on regular grass though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 08:18 AM

1,033 posts, read 888,173 times
saucy is right....we do have 'skitos here in Brevard. Granted, I never find them to be that bad, unlike gnats, but we definitely have them.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 516 times
Yes, there are biting insects in WNC, including no see-ums and mosquitos. The higher the elevation, the less you will see. Where I live is approximately 2800 ft. elevation, so bugs are not as bad as lower elevations. I have a bug zapper on the porch and it keeps them away, for the most part. Brevard is wonderful and much prefer it over Asheville, Black Mountain and other areas. It has the small town charm but there is always something going on...whether muical performances at The Brevard Music Center, weekly jam sessions (usually bluegrass), the best hiking and mounain biking, PARI, fishing, golfing, kayaking, etc. And, of course, there are over 250 waterfalls in the county. Brevard is also in between Asheville and Greenville and convenient to Atlanta, as well. If you all want a taste of Brevard, let me know...I have a vacation rental and have friends that rent as well!...but I cannot guarantee that you won't get bitten...afterall, it's in Transylvania County!

Old 04-13-2012, 07:06 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,385,870 times
I've encountered mosquitoes in temps under 60F, but maybe fewer. We've only visited Brevard (looking at possible second home purchase) and think we encountered a few mosquitoes, but can't recall seeing any big flies. Also didn't encounter even one white squirrel, despite several people confidently tellingus there were several on the grounds of Brevard College. Are they just mythological creates, or like snipes, existing only in conversations with tourists??

Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM

2,969 posts, read 2,320,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
Also didn't encounter even one white squirrel, despite several people confidently telling us there were several on the grounds of Brevard College.

Are they just mythological creates, or like snipes, existing only in conversations with tourists??
We were there the other weekend. We weren't looking for a white squirrel, but saw one anyway.

We were turning around in one of the old suburbs surrounding downtown Brevard, and there was a white squirrel scrambling around in the foliage behind a chain-link fence.

So, without intending to, I saw one within minutes of getting back on the highway to go back home.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 AM

252 posts, read 212,028 times
I moved to Asheville last May and was sure to bring a mosquito zapper. I leave my door open for my pets to go in & out, so I was expecting to use it. I didn't use it once last summer. :-) I used to live in the Caribbean & they are superbad there(I killed 100 mosquitoes in one day once), so I really, really appreciate their absence!!

Old 04-16-2012, 01:55 PM

1,033 posts, read 888,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoi137 View Post
I've encountered mosquitoes in temps under 60F, but maybe fewer. We've only visited Brevard (looking at possible second home purchase) and think we encountered a few mosquitoes, but can't recall seeing any big flies. Also didn't encounter even one white squirrel, despite several people confidently tellingus there were several on the grounds of Brevard College. Are they just mythological creates, or like snipes, existing only in conversations with tourists??
white squirrels are everywhere, but some areas do have more than others. I see lots of them around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina