Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2011, 09:37 AM

123 posts, read 524,641 times

Advertisements

Hello all, considering a move from Colorado to the Asheville area due to work, and I'm trying to figure out which area would closely resemble what we currently have here in Colorado. Keep in mind we are humble folks and not looking for a Mcmansion or gated community.

A few of the key points are:

Land/Space - Modestly priced would prefer a min of 5 acres, more would be great.

Few restrictions ie homeowners associations. Would like to build my own log home. Not sure what the county is like to deal with out there.

Good down to earth neighbors.

No subdivisions.

Well, septic, and even off the grid would be fine for us.

Right now we live in the mountains on 5 acres, and would like to find something similar close to Asheville, I just don't know the areas out there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 06:17 PM

279 posts, read 533,770 times
You might find these two blogs interesting. You have to dig back a bit for the home construction stuff. They are nice people, and you might want to start a conversation.

Sweet Mess

Outside Clyde

Old 12-30-2011, 02:25 PM

729 posts, read 1,504,848 times
How far from Asheville do you need to be? There are parts of Madison County that will get you what you want but still be within a 30 minute drive.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by young92 View Post
How far from Asheville do you need to be? There are parts of Madison County that will get you what you want but still be within a 30 minute drive.
I just need to be within a reasonable commutable distance to Asheville. I would consider 30 minutes a reasonable commute. I'll have to check out Madison County.

Thanks

Old 12-30-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuck View Post
You might find these two blogs interesting. You have to dig back a bit for the home construction stuff. They are nice people, and you might want to start a conversation.

Sweet Mess

Outside Clyde
Thanks for the links. I'll do some reading.

Old 12-31-2011, 09:30 AM

4,787 posts, read 10,602,776 times
I live in Waynesville, west of Asheville, and about 30+ mins to the western edge of A'ville. Have been here a decade and we like the town/area very much. There are many good areas to look at in a 'half hour drive from Asheville' circle. Do some work on GOOG maps: it will give you some idea of place names to look at.

Having ridden/driven through most of CO many times, (as recently as this past summer), western NC has beautiful uncrowded areas, and 'mtns', but nothing like the great elevations where you currently live. And, A'ville is much less populated than even the western 'edges' of Denver where you are now.

You didn't mention what line of 'work', but decent paying employment is a prob in western NC.

You might do some reading of previous threads, found in the 'Search This Forum' tab, upper right of any page.
GL, mD

Old 01-01-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post
I live in Waynesville, west of Asheville, and about 30+ mins to the western edge of A'ville. Have been here a decade and we like the town/area very much. There are many good areas to look at in a 'half hour drive from Asheville' circle. Do some work on GOOG maps: it will give you some idea of place names to look at.

Having ridden/driven through most of CO many times, (as recently as this past summer), western NC has beautiful uncrowded areas, and 'mtns', but nothing like the great elevations where you currently live. And, A'ville is much less populated than even the western 'edges' of Denver where you are now.

You didn't mention what line of 'work', but decent paying employment is a prob in western NC.

You might do some reading of previous threads, found in the 'Search This Forum' tab, upper right of any page.
GL, mD
Thanks mD. Yeah I realize the elevation is not quite what we call mountains here. Our house is at 9000' feet and that's pretty low considering our surroundings.

I've been looking around with Zillow. Gives you a pretty good satellite view of the areas. Would definitely like a wooded area, which seems to be pretty easy to come by out there, a view would be nice also.

Less populated would be great. One thing about were we are now is the traffic through the area. As the Denver area grows, more and more people head up here to ski. Makes it tough on us "locals".

One thing I notice out there it seems like a lot of properties will have 25 acres, but a neighboring house close by. Of course it's real hard to get a good feel for an area by satellite view. I'll hopefully be visiting here soon. Just trying to get a list of areas to look at since I'll only have a few days.

Well thanks again for the input.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:45 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
since we used the live next to the alps, so I would not call the mountains 'mountains', but very beautiful hills

are schools important to you ?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofbavaria View Post
since we used the live next to the alps, so I would not call the mountains 'mountains', but very beautiful hills

are schools important to you ?
No schools aren't a consideration. Kids are grown and gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina