Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2012, 05:01 AM

215 posts, read 567,862 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Looking at jobs for my husband in Asheville, one states that they provide:
Paid holiday leave (up to 56 hours annually)
Paid vacation (after 1 year of service)

What is the difference between these?
Perhaps self employment will be the route to go for him, he will be in for a shock, here he gets 25 days paid leave plus 8 days public hols paid too per year!
Also, is it usual for salary to not be stated?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 AM

679 posts, read 1,456,842 times
Holiday leave is most likely national holidays. Assuming it is a full-time job, that is 7 days which would probably be New Years Day, Presidents Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas.

Paid vacation is his own personal time. For somebody new, 2-3 weeks would not be unusual until he's been on the job a few years.

You'd also want to know if any sick time comes out of vacation or they have a separate category for that. That is not as ominous as it sounds. Many companies (mine included) found that after a couple of years giving people sick time was pointless since they accumulated it to the "cap" and thus were not really earning any, other than to replace what they used every year. So they added some amount of time to the vacation we earn and put it in one category.

I think most ads do not state a salary.

Old 01-05-2012, 06:07 AM

13,361 posts, read 26,911,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post
Hi,
he will be in for a shock, here he gets 25 days paid leave plus 8 days public hols paid too per year!
Yes, nothing in the US private sector will equal that amount of vacation. And, yes, it is typical for salaries to be considered "negotiable".

Old 01-05-2012, 06:16 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,872,305 times
a couple of people I know started with zero paid vacation days during their first year ! I had trouble to believe that, too.

I am from germany, where 25+ paid v. days (even during your very first year) are one of the great benefits. It is possible to gain the privilege of 25 days here in the US in the the private sector, but usually you have to stay with the same company for many years to reach that.
even german based companies require 10+ years. unfortunately the adapted

Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,477,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukes View Post
Hi,
Looking at jobs for my husband in Asheville, one states that they provide:
Paid holiday leave (up to 56 hours annually)
Paid vacation (after 1 year of service)
What is the difference between these?
Perhaps self employment will be the route to go for him, he will be in for a shock, here he gets 25 days paid leave plus 8 days public hols paid too per year!
Thanks

There are so few jobs available, people are thankful to be employed in the mountains at all. Additionally, most companies will hire the local people and relatives first; there is a lot of nepotism and favoritism.

Something to seriously consider before making such a life altering and expensive relocation without employment.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 AM

4,784 posts, read 10,571,640 times
US vs UK/EuroLand...historically, and in my working life from '70 to 2000, my UK/Euro counterparts always had considerably more vacation time, days off, etc., even at my VP level my last decade of work, basic salespeople and production workers in UK & Euro received more vacay than I did. It is simply a very different mind set and 'system' there vs here in the US.

New hires, in most any job, will be lucky to get a week vacation after a year...highly compensated corporate jobs are diff, but there are none of those positions in western NC.

Hope the OP and Fam are careful in their transplant goals, as 'making it' in western NC requires a different set of 'standards' and expectations, imo.
GL, mD

Old 01-10-2012, 07:54 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,300,638 times
Wow... is this question actually being asked? wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina