U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2012, 04:57 PM

873 posts, read 1,292,172 times

Advertisements

I was at the drugstore in my small little WNC town and a lovely man heard me speak to the cashier and said"Where are you from? I don't hear a WNC accent" I replied..."I'm from NYC" He asked...."what brought you to WNC?" I thought about it and w/ a huge smile I said..."FATE" His reply was..."I haven't heard a better reason than that"
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2012, 08:54 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,048,568 times
sweet

Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 AM

45,177 posts, read 57,278,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
I was at the drugstore in my small little WNC town and a lovely man heard me speak to the cashier and said"Where are you from? I don't hear a WNC accent" I replied..."I'm from NYC" He asked...."what brought you to WNC?" I thought about it and w/ a huge smile I said..."FATE" His reply was..."I haven't heard a better reason than that"
It's so nice to be where you know you are meant to be

Old 01-11-2012, 10:33 AM

2,312 posts, read 3,283,844 times
Fate? You mean you walked all the way from Noo York City?!?

Old 01-12-2012, 07:48 AM

2,938 posts, read 5,226,048 times
I didn't think I have any kind of accent at all until I was asked by 2 people in 4 days where I'm from. One lady said "That's not a southarn accynt, where are you from?". I thought there were enough southerners without an accent than to ask me that. I guess even those people have a hint of an accent, but in western NC, everyone pretty much has a strong mountain accent. Friendly people though, I would rather have a northern accent in WNC than be a southerner answering to comments north. The non-southern accent is more mainstream as far as what people hear on television.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 AM

176 posts, read 188,359 times
We've been down to Murphy twice and I would say that 80% of the people I have spoken to have no accent at all, seems like lots of people are from somewhere else. I'm sure I will develop one though, I seem to assimilate a bit of any accent that I'm around for a while, having worked with people from all over the world. Cheers y'all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina