U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-08-2007, 12:36 PM

21,682 posts, read 37,020,044 times
Default Highway 64 from Brevard to Murphy What is there to see?

A city data member made suggestion that I should see Murphy, North Carolina.
I have never been there and think it would be a good idea. I have traveled about all of highway 64 from Sapphire NC to Manteo NC but not the other part to Murphy. What will I see or should I check out from that point forward.

What is there to do in Murphy? Should I get a cabin? I notice on goggle maps that it is near Hwassee lake is this a nice lake? Can I tour kayak there?

Maybe one day I coiuld compose a book of Highway 64 from Murphy to Manteo my favorite scenic highway of this state.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 07:12 PM

612 posts, read 1,059,075 times
64 is gorgeous and varied.

You'll drive through curves, ups and downs as you go through Cashiers and then into Highlands. Enjoy barbecue in Cashiers or fine dining in Highlands.

Take 64 down the Cullasaja Gorge, from Highlands into Franklin, then shoot out west on 64 towards Hayesville and Murphy. You'll be in broader territory there, but still climbing some impressive mountains. Chunky Gal is spectacular. You'll be near Standing Indian, also spectacular.

This is incredibly gorgeous in fall, crisp, bright blue skies, a riot of color on the trees and road side grasses and wildflowers. I enjoy it in winter because I l ike ot see the lay of the land.

You can't go wrong on 64!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:19 PM
NCN

13,924 posts, read 11,354,922 times
I enjoyed having my picture taken under the sign that said "Manteo" and then listed the miles to it. I think it was something like 563 miles to Manteo.
I really had to talk my husband into going to Murphy the first time and now that I think of it, I had to talk him into going the second time. We had a trip planned to Fairfield Bay, Arkansas and were traveling on Easter weekend. I got him to agree to taking an extra day and driving across Tennessee on Highway 64. We had a very pleasant, but not fast, drive across Tennessee. When we got outside Memphis and hit I-40 to go across the river, we realized that we had made the right decision. We had very little traffic on 64 and I-40 was bumper to bumper.

Just beyond Murphy in Ducktown, Tennessee is one of the places on the river where "Deliverance" was filmed.

I didn't realize 64 went all the way to Manteo. Good idea for a book.

Have you done the Great Smoky Mountains Railway?

Last edited by NCN; 09-08-2007 at 09:28 PM..

Old 09-09-2007, 07:49 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,982,423 times
Hi Kayak,
Well, Highlands is really nice along that road. Once you get up there, you hang right to stay on 64, which is "downtown," good place to stop and check out the bookstore or get some lunch. Continuing out of town, there are two amazing waterfalls just a little ways down the road, Bridal Veil Falls, which you can see from the hwy, and then Dry Falls, which is a Nat Park area where you pull in and walk down to the falls and actually underneath it, fabulous. The rest of the road to Franklin is pretty rugged. Franklin area is good for gem mining, very pleasant to do if you have time. If you go all the way to Murphy, consider sometime continuing to Chattanooga TN and stay overnight in the old train depot hotel, so nice.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:23 AM

936 posts, read 2,164,654 times
Ahhh.........Highlands........smell the money. Take a look at the vehicles parked in the town's unique parking spaces and you'll see what I mean.
If you are going to Ducktown TN you need to take a side trip down to Mercier Orchard which is on GA 5 in Blue Ridge. One fried pie makes the trip worthwhile.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:17 PM

93 posts, read 251,544 times
Hi Sunny,
Not an expert on Murphy but have been there several times. Murphy is small town atmosphere with very friendly locals...at least the one's we've met. Hiawassee Dam is right nearby but with the drought it's probably way down. Lake Santeelah, Fontana Dam and the Nantahala aren't too far away also has some kayaking and trout fishing around that area.

If you can swing up towards Robbinsville on 19/129 and get on the Cherohala Skyway, absolutely beautiful mountain views that bring you into Tellico Plains TN.

Mostly local restaurants in Murphy none of the chain variety which is ok by us. If you can eat at Doyle's you'd be in for a special treat, ambiance and awesome food in such a small town, amazing. Rib Country is very good also along with others.

Murphy is not an artsy type of place but is mostly about the surrounding nature. A fun place to go window shopping is Moose Hollow Lodge. All cabin furnishings, a little (ok some items a lot) pricey but always fun to go through. Enjoy your trip.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:04 AM

153 posts, read 301,582 times
Don't forget the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown. My great grandmother helped start it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina