Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 08:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
An escaped prisoner is a known criminal who has been convicted.

We are talking about common road blocks in this thread; not the type meant for escaped prisoners.

Do you really think we don't know the difference?
For heaven's sake, SS. That was just an example that came off the top of my head.

Pretend it is a methlab operator. Or a suspected rapist. Use your imagination.

A road block isn't something to get yourself in a sweat about - unless you have something to hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
But you are forgetting something.

Rights can be taken away if a citizen commits a crime. Convicted criminals lose some of their rights. Yet, we don't deny that they once had those rights.

So there is no conflict between having a right and being held accountable for exercising that right in a responsible manner.

(And just as an aside, there are many legal analysts who do believe driving is a right, no matter how many people want to define it as a privilege. Please read the article from Reason magazine I posted if you haven't.)
I don't need to be educated on the subject.

I happen to disagree with you.

I personally think the Germans have the better system. You have to spend about $3000 or so to get a license there. And you have to go thru/ an extensive road safety and training course.

If I had it my way, I would see to it that there is no doubt about driving being a privilege.

It's my opinion. Yours differs. <shrug>

Old 03-09-2012, 08:30 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
If humans could be trusted to follow the laws of their state, it would be a non-issue.

In the mean time, I support anything that makes our streets safe for everyone.

I wonder at what age one can get a license in Germany. It might help to get some of the teenagers off the road until they can prove they are mature enough to not text and drive, or drink.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:35 PM

840 posts, read 781,016 times
ok so its normal..I must have just missed the ones in the past 5 years in NC lol....got lucky I suppose. I have another question. The ticket I got I was pulled over in a parking lot I was actually driving through the parking lot when she flipped her lights on etc..someone else told me that parking lots in NC are considered private property and they aren't allowed to ticket you if that is the case. Anyone know about that?

Old 03-09-2012, 10:08 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
"A road block isn't something to get yourself in a sweat about - unless you have something to hide"

lol, I am getting nervous by only spotting a police car near by. without having a criminal career and only 2 speeding tickets (20 of driving). I swear I have nothing to hide, lol

Old 03-10-2012, 06:16 AM

358 posts, read 785,698 times
So many here willing to give up a little freedom for an element of safety. Give up some more and you will be safer still. Ya think?

Old 03-10-2012, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucler View Post
So many here willing to give up a little freedom for an element of safety. Give up some more and you will be safer still. Ya think?
A road block equals giving up freedom?

Sorry, I don't equate the two. Road blocks have been going on since cars were invented, especially once they became the method of transporting bootlegged liquor. Especially in western NC. Y'all just don't know your history.

If you want to get upset about loss of freedom, there are plenty of real issues to discuss on that point. But road blocks aren't on that list.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
ok so its normal..I must have just missed the ones in the past 5 years in NC lol....got lucky I suppose. I have another question. The ticket I got I was pulled over in a parking lot I was actually driving through the parking lot when she flipped her lights on etc..someone else told me that parking lots in NC are considered private property and they aren't allowed to ticket you if that is the case. Anyone know about that?
What was your ticket for?

My son got a ticket in a gas station parking lot. He was putting on his seat belt while tooling through the parking lot. The cop pulled him over for not having a seat belt on. He had it in his hand, lol. He and his fiancee swear they had not even fully pulled out of the gas station. But hey - the cop was an ass. So there ya go. He got a ticket. I believe him - he hasn't had a ticket in 7 years and he had no reason to tell me he was pulled over b/f even leaving the parking lot and while reaching for his seat belt. Plus, my son had been called back in to the hospital for an emergency. So he was in a hurry to gas up and get to the hospital. He had on his scrubs. He tried to explain that he was in the process of putting on his seat belt while pulling away from the gas pump. The cop was very intimidating and suggested that my son may need to get out of the car and that perhaps he needed to detain him if he had an attitude problem. My son felt intimidated and decided to keep his mouth shut and just take the ticket. He didn't need a further delay b/c they were waiting for him at the hospital, so best to just stay quiet. What can you do in a situation like that? Not a damn thing.

So there are injustices out there but nothing to be done about it. And that has been going on forever, too, and isn't unique to NC.

Yes, people get tickets in parking lots. What was your ticket for?

Last edited by brokensky; 03-10-2012 at 08:50 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 12:46 PM

840 posts, read 781,016 times
Ours was seat belt's as well. I swear the cop had it out for me for some unknown reason. Had never met the lady nor done anything else wrong. Had went to K Mart to get a video game and passed her then when we turned in. She obviously waited on us to leave K Mart because passed her again when going back to 441 to head back to Ga. My brother and his wife had been at the cell phone store and I pulled in the parking lot to see them and I was going through the parking lot and she flipped her lights on and pulled me over. She had an attitude from the moment she talked to me so I gave it right back. It was like a freaking interrogation asking me where I was going blah blah blah...Outrageous I have gotten tickets in several different states . WV,SC,GA,NC,Alabama and NEVER have I had to pay court costs when I wasn't even going to go to court. Mine as well just go to court and hope she don't show up this time. Gonna pay either way.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:29 PM

358 posts, read 785,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
A road block equals giving up freedom?

Sorry, I don't equate the two. Road blocks have been going on since cars were invented, especially once they became the method of transporting bootlegged liquor. Especially in western NC. Y'all just don't know your history.

If you want to get upset about loss of freedom, there are plenty of real issues to discuss on that point. But road blocks aren't on that list.
It's all a matter of degrees isn't it. You do not feel violated with a roadblock occasionally. Perhaps several in a week would be your tipping point, or several in a day. You wish to give them the authority and they will use it as they see fit. The point at which to limit it, is before it begins.
It is just foolish to even suggest that the road blocks that we are all familiar with have been going on throughout history. That is a distortion of the facts and not worthy of this topic.
The Reagan administration started the seatbelt and road block laws in the early 80's and extorted states into complying by withholding highway funds for noncompliance. Nothing even remotely similar had occurred previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina