Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM

82 posts, read 68,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingOver2 View Post
I've lived in this area now for about 8 months & travel it for my job. I've had to stop 3 times at checkpoints to show my DL. Twice in NC, once in SC. It must have slowed me down for about 3 minutes each time. It's crazy! To slow me down for that long just to try to make drivers safer on the road. How dare they!!! Even if it saves the life of one person, it cost me 3 whole minutes....Stop lights tick me off too.

Yea! And the fire department should forcibly come into our homes and make sure the smoke detectors are working too! Yea! It's for Your own good! Even if it saves the life of one person, it's worth it! Yea!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 10:06 AM

82 posts, read 68,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
well, one, that is an illogical comparison, and you know it. Two, what you just described is exactly one of the things that the 4th Amendment protects against. Again, I or my car has never been searched in a checkpoint. I only provide the documents that show that my car is legally mine and that tags and reg are up to date, which is a law if you want to legally drive.

Here's another thing about your comparison: The government is allowing us, as long as we abide by the law, to operate our vehicles on government roads(yes, I know they are paid for by taxes, but we technically dont own them). Our house is our private property that government cannot touch unless they have probable cause to get a warrant. Big difference here.
It's the whole probable cause thing. An officer cannot pull you over "on a whim" without probable cause. Where's the statute that allows them to basically do the same thing at a roadblock? I'm with the 4th ammendment crowd on this one; it's wrong.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:28 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuffaar View Post
Yea! And the fire department should forcibly come into our homes and make sure the smoke detectors are working too! Yea! It's for Your own good! Even if it saves the life of one person, it's worth it! Yea!
Landlords have to make sure working smoke detectors are in rental units. Of course if the people are stupid they can disable them, and many do.

30+ years as a firefighter/first responder I can attest to the stupidity of not having a smoke detector, or wearing a seat belt, for I have helped remove the bodies of those that didn't think they were necessary.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:33 PM

100 posts, read 317,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Last week was actually pulled over by state trooper for no seat belt...no other problems. Tonight was stopped at a stupid road block they are checking licenses again state troopers blocking traffic on the freaking off ramp...I am shocked there was no wreck! What the heck is going in here? I have been coming to Western NC for 5 years and this is new to me.Don't yall feel violated? I mean I didn't do anything wrong I shouldn't have to deal with some stormtrooper checking my license when I had not even been pulled over....christ sakes...I was actually considering moving to NC to.
Maybe they were looking for an escaped convict.
DUI and license/registration checks are not uncommon---they generate revenue for the state.

I don't like it, but understand DUI checks on New Years eve and other partying days. Random stops are uncalled for and I have seen random stops in middle of nowhere-Barnardsville, NC--targeting financially struggling populations.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:22 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipticX View Post
Maybe they were looking for an escaped convict.
DUI and license/registration checks are not uncommon---they generate revenue for the state.

I don't like it, but understand DUI checks on New Years eve and other partying days. Random stops are uncalled for and I have seen random stops in middle of nowhere-Barnardsville, NC--targeting financially struggling populations.
APD was running a check in the middle of the afternoon on NC694 (Town Mountain Rd). I suspect they are trying to send a message to the motorcycles that race on that road once the weather warms up.

Checked my license and tag (and I'm sure he also noted that I was wearing my seat-belt), was courteous and I was on my way in 30 seconds.

Once I got to the bottom of the mountain there was a portable message board warning of motorcycle traffic and the presence of extra patrols.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:05 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,468,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
APD was running a check in the middle of the afternoon on NC694 (Town Mountain Rd). I suspect they are trying to send a message to the motorcycles that race on that road once the weather warms up.

Checked my license and tag (and I'm sure he also noted that I was wearing my seat-belt), was courteous and I was on my way in 30 seconds.

Once I got to the bottom of the mountain there was a portable message board warning of motorcycle traffic and the presence of extra patrols.
Town Mnt is actually notoriously known for break ins during the day due to its relative remoteness and mass wealth. I know several home owners who have experienced such. Hopefully they will continue to up the patrol and it will help reduce break ins while stopping the idiots who pass you on curves there.

Old 05-11-2012, 06:20 AM

467 posts, read 1,188,614 times
My observation has been that, yes, they do enforce the seatbelt law, but not: excessive speeding/reckless driving, expired tags (like 1+ year) and DUI bike shenanigans.

I too, appreciate the fact that there are random road blocks on any given day or time.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:56 PM

100 posts, read 317,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post

That seems fair enough.
Keeps everyone safe too. The roads around here are nothing to monkey around with, so some police presence is a good thing. I wish there was a police presence on Leicester HWY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina