Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2012, 02:24 PM

36 posts, read 61,657 times

Advertisements

Anyone know of a grocery or market close to waynesville or silva that carries fresh salmon,trout or catfish?
How about asheville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 04:11 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
Carolina Wild Seafood...
They are at the Waynesville Farmer's Mkt, Wed & Sat.
It's the FarmMkt located in the Hart Theater parking lot.

The best, fresh seafood in western NC, imo.
Bernie, a very good guy and renaissance man, owns the vendor.

Bring a cooler or cold pack; they have a site and you can get on their email
for weekly specials.
GL, mD

Old 03-09-2012, 04:56 AM

36 posts, read 61,657 times
Thank you,you guys are great!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:08 PM

1,176 posts, read 3,180,272 times
Fresh salmon will likely be Atlantic salmon, which is largely farm-raised, and have dyes added to make it look orange or pink-- because so many consumers think salmon must look like that to be good, even though wild salmon may be white. We have generally found restaurants, in all regions, quite willing to say if their salmon is wild or farm-raised, though in some cases the first person we asked guessed it was wild, without really knowing. Fresh doesn't always mean local. We had "fresh" trout in Brevard restaurants: in one case the trout was from South Carolina, and in the other from North Carolina.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:30 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
Samoi,
The vendor at the Waynesville Farmer's Mkt I rec'd has a menu of available fish/shell, fish every week.

Yes, they almost always have farmed salmon for sale, but it is noted as such; occasionally they also have wild caught.
Yes, 'fresh' doesn't mean the fish was caught in the local stream or lake, but the vendor I ref'd sells a plethora of salt water fish.
Fresh as in 'next door'? Obviously not, as the ocean is a 7-8 hr drive, east of Waynesville.

But, the owner loads 2-3 refrigerated short van trucks every Tuesday and Friday afternoon, at the NC coastal commercial docks,
drives all night to Waynesville, and a couple other towns, quantity limited.

He usually has blue fish, sea trout, sheepshead, croakers, several species of sea bass, tile fish,(my fave), and on and on, plus shell fish.
These were bought off the boats on the coast thhat day before, packed and transferred from their operation in Kitty Hawk, and arrive the next morning, 'for sale'.

Other than one doing their own ocean fishing, I don't know of any 'fresher' fish to be had...even most restaurant stuff is a few days older than that.
'Fish' in the US is usually a labyrinth nightmare in terms of species id, handling acumen, 'time', and a transportation problem, and thus often frozen.
Most of my rec'd vendor's fish is 'on ice', but not frozen.

I was not making any comment in my orig response on what one might find in any western NC resturant...but I still assure the OP that the vendor I rec'd has the best
'fresh' salt water fish in western NC, imo.

Last edited by motordavid; 03-09-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 01:03 PM

95 posts, read 170,916 times
Santelle's in downtown Clyde has great fresh seafood from Carolina and around the world.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:26 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,406,578 times
Carolina Wild Seafood - here is the link to get on their e-mail list.

Carolina Wild Seafood - Sustainably-harvested, locally caught seafood from the Outer Banks to mountain communities in Asheville and Waynesville.

Thanks David.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina