U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2012, 02:53 PM
RVT

294 posts, read 248,069 times
Just out of curiosity, what is it about Virginia that you detest so much?
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 05:42 PM

1,362 posts, read 1,472,351 times
I replied about jobs on your NC post because of other posters inaccurate statements but now I too am wondering why you hate Virginia but think north carolina will be any better? I don't think any two states are more alike.

Old 04-07-2012, 07:03 AM

11 posts, read 6,335 times
RVT,
Well, I feel bad saying that I dislike Virginia so much, and I've lived in PA, MI, OH, MA, CT, FL, VT so I feel as if I have some experience in living in various areas of the US. It seems as if after being here for years, we still don't "fit in", and I've heard that not only from people that have moved here, but also native Virginians. It's other things like people don't seem to know how to drive here, etc.-but the main thing is people seem "detached" & don't want to be friendly. The sense of being an outsider has become so mentally exhausting & difficult, that I would prefer to move. I don't mean to offend anyone that lives here, for whatever reason it has been a true struggle for us.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:39 AM
RVT

294 posts, read 248,069 times
Jennifer,

Well, since you are in Hampton Roads, there is a large contingent of military personnel there. Most of those people are transitory so it is difficult for a lot of them to make friends with people outside of the military. You're only there for a few years and boom, off you go to the next duty station. I lived in Norfolk for a couple of years and knew almost no-one from off base.

And if bad driving bugs you, Asheville is not where you want to be. The local sport here is running red lights.

But, I consider Asheville and the surrounding towns to be very friendly.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:01 AM

2,328 posts, read 1,637,477 times
Jennifer if your real desire is friendly, then let me suggest you look into an affordable place in Georgia that suits your interests.

I am from WNC, lived all over the world, know Hampton Rhodes area well, and yes lived in Georgia. Georgia is by far one of the friendliest places on earth. I don't care for it there, but GA is friendly.

Just a thought based upon what you said was important to you.

Old 04-07-2012, 12:27 PM

theoldnorthstate,
If you don't mind me asking, where do you currently live? One of the reasons we were considering NC is to stay South and avoid winters, as we have relatives in NC, and would like to get near some family. We have no family, haven't made any friendships in Hampton Roads, so our last ditch thought is to go back up North to either PA or MI-at least there we have family, know the area and what were getting into. I don't think I can take any more "unfamiliar" scenarios

Old 04-07-2012, 02:03 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,637,477 times
Am in Orlando FL, which was my last duty assignment for the Army. That is why I mentioned Georgia after two assignments there. It seems to fit with what you said about detached people and feeling like you don't fit it, but I could be wrong. Georgians are friendly and hospitable people overall and with so many transplants who love it there you might find you fit in.

If you have family in NC, why don't you make some loooong visits and see how it feels to you?

My children are in Charlotte and I am there as often as I can looking to the day when I can sell here and move home.

Know what you mean though. I miss a sense of community and look forward to going somewhere close to home but I wonder can you ever go home again, would it be as comfortable now as it was then, have things changed too much?

lots to think about.

p.s. my sister was assigned to the VA Hospital in Hampton and lived in Springfield. She didn't care for it at all and I can see why. I liked it just fine when I visited (had to go to Norfolk a lot) but I didn't have to live with it every day. So can see why if you are uncomfortable there, you are uncomfortable there. I would hate a place that traffic only had a few bridges to get from here to there, etc.

Good luck

Old 04-07-2012, 02:49 PM

1,220 posts, read 816,542 times
What about Northern Virginia/DC area? It may not necessarily be considered a friendly area, but it certainly is multicultural and cosmpolitan, if that's what you're looking for. But more traffic and congestion to deal with. But something like Fredericksburg, Manassas, Leesburg might be nice. Or even Winchester, or Frederick, Md.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:52 AM

theoldnorthstate,You said your children are in Charlotte-do they/you like it there? That's one area of NC I've not been to. It's funny you say "can you ever go home again"- I wonder if as we get older our priorities change, and that's why being near family has become such a predominent factor. But after you've been away from home for a long time, you tend to look at it through rose colored glasses & remember it perhaps better than it actually was. Does that make sense? It's just a huge decision, our lease is up soon, and I'm spinning in circles trying to make a decision!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
What about Northern Virginia/DC area? It may not necessarily be considered a friendly area, but it certainly is multicultural and cosmpolitan, if that's what you're looking for. But more traffic and congestion to deal with. But something like Fredericksburg, Manassas, Leesburg might be nice. Or even Winchester, or Frederick, Md.
tylersc,What we have considered if we must stay in Virginia is perhaps Williamsburg-that's about as far north we could go in order for my husband not to have an extremely long drive for work. Are you in SC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina