Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 02:22 PM

11 posts, read 18,775 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me if the Asheville area is "receptive" to Northerners? We are considering moving from the Hampton Roads area of Virginia, and do not care for this area at all, we are originally from up North. I've been given mixed reviews on how people in Asheville feel about Northerners moving in, that other areas are more welcoming such as Gamewell, Lenoir. Can anyone help me and shed some light on the subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 02:39 PM

4,788 posts, read 10,605,228 times
As posted and noted often here on CD, by many of us that have migrated into western NC, I have never had an untoward remark made to my face/within hearing that was disrespectful or disparaging...we came from NY 11 years ago. We love it here in western NC. A'ville is even more 'cosmopolitan' than our little town of Waynesville, imo. It should not be a concern.
GL, mD

Old 03-31-2012, 03:05 PM

Default Work?

Motordavid-
Thank you for replying, never been on this site before. Since you've been in Asheville for awhile, how stupid would it be to move there prior to having jobs? Our lease is ending & we are desperate to get out of Hampton Roads! I work in Office/Admin in construction, my husband owns his own business doing fireplace/garage door installs. Thanks so much!

Old 03-31-2012, 04:10 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
I think it is ill-advised to move anywhere without at least one of you having a job lined up.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:35 PM

Jennifer Anne,
We actually live in Waynesville, a beautiful mountain town, ~30 miles west of A'ville; we do get to Asheville regularly, as in almost weekly.

Hampton Roads isn't exactly coming from 'the north'; we came from NY, after working out of NYC for almost 3 decades. Never a problem here. Very good people whether 4th or 5th Gen 'natives', or transplants like us...

I'm a retired bum, with a self-supporting portfolio, but I would not rec'd moving to A'ville, or anywhere, with no employment lined up. Just too much of a leap, imo, though not impossible for the resourceful and patient. Maybe a trip or two to check out the area, talk to potential employers, etc?

From reading here, and a little general 'knowledge', the big prob is not many jobs of any kind, and pay that is much lower than many parts of 'the East'. But, a determined couple, not feeding kids, may pull off anything, anywhere...
GL, mD

Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 AM

Default Thanks motordavid

motordavid-
thanks for replying again, if you don't mind I'd like to keep asking you quesions I don't think I worded it right when we said we're originally from up North-from the metro area of Detroit, MI. And a lady I spoke with at an apartment complex said she lives in Waynesville and loves it, and just happened to be from Detroit also! I think that we need to "switch gears" and send out resumes first-my concern with that is companies don't seem interested in calling people applying for jobs that aren't already there or locals. But if you wouldn't mind giving me info along the way, I'd really appreciate it! Have a great day!

Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM

I too grew up in Detroit, (my screen name is what boyhood/drag racing friends used to call me), and got transferred to NYC in the early '70s, never looking back.

I repeat my feeling: A'ville/western NC people in general, are not going to give much outwardly noticeable care where you 'came from'.

Dunno what the fireplace/garage install trade pays in western NC, or office admin does either, but western NC wages, in general, are not large metro area wages, imo.

Like anywhere in the US, every employer is inundated with thousands of solicited or unsolicited resumes every week; most are never read, let alone responded to. Times are different vs a decade or three, ago.

I rec'd some job hunting online, some reading in this Western NC forum, (use the Search This Forum Tab, upper right hand of forum page), and a trip or two, to the area. The scenery, lifestyle, outdoor activities, and ambiance are very good here; the job situ, for anyone not retired or without a skill high in demand, is not good, imo.
GL, mD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Anne View Post
motordavid-
thanks for replying again, if you don't mind I'd like to keep asking you quesions I don't think I worded it right when we said we're originally from up North-from the metro area of Detroit, MI. And a lady I spoke with at an apartment complex said she lives in Waynesville and loves it, and just happened to be from Detroit also! I think that we need to "switch gears" and send out resumes first-my concern with that is companies don't seem interested in calling people applying for jobs that aren't already there or locals. But if you wouldn't mind giving me info along the way, I'd really appreciate it! Have a great day!

Old 04-02-2012, 01:25 PM

motordavid,
Thanks again for the feedback. It's given me some great information to go by, and we are "re-vamping" our game plan to get out of Virginia. Unfortunately, I know you are right that unless your skills are in high demand, applying from out of state is just another resume that comes through and gets thrown in the circular file! Have a great week

Old 04-05-2012, 05:16 PM

22 posts, read 34,243 times
Definitely do not move here without a job. There are loads of highly qualified and educated people here that end up working in hospitality or retail in order to live in Asheville. The main business is tourism/hospitality. The second biggest industry is the medical field. It seems that nearly every person I meet around here is self-employed in some way and usually with more than one job. It's a sacrifice worth making to enjoy this lifestyle. But I've just met too many people that move here without jobs and have a very hard go of it trying to find adequately-paying positions.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:50 AM

jonnifer,
Thank you for your feedback & honesty. I have come to realize that going there with no jobs lined up is foolish after the 100's of posts I've read..........may just go back up North to our families. I just hate Virginia so bad I can't think straight, just need to get out of this state!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina