Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 12:18 PM

451 posts, read 1,565,638 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have rented out an apartment in our place for years and didn't even get a pet deposit, but we have found that in the Asheville area, where supposedly it is so animal friendly, we can't find one place that doesn't charge at least $250.00 per pet. This is so greedy in my opinion, and totally unfair. This is going to create so many animals being left for abandonment, and "lucky" ones to be put down in shelters. I am disappointed and disheartened that Asheville is like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 06:21 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
All those people that abandoned and beat your adoptions..yeah well they are the ones that created the 250 deposit for you, due to the neglect and damage they have caused.

It's sad and depressing, but it's the reason for the deposit. Most cities require more than that.

Bless you for taking in animals. I started a Border Collie Rescue at my ranch. It's amazing the condition these brilliant dogs come to me in.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:49 PM

221 posts, read 461,880 times
I'm sorry for your experience, but I have to say that this really is the most pet-friendly city I've ever lived in. Asheville has several prominent animal rescue groups, and many other local businesses regularly hold fundraisers for them or at least keep piggy banks out to help them raise money. I have also never seen so many dog parks, doggy day cares, pet boutiques, and dog bakeries, not to mention all the pet-friendly stores and restaurants downtown and in West Asheville. The Hop even sells ice cream for dogs. I have always been charged at least a month's rent for a pet deposit, no matter where I've lived. Please don't take it as a sign that Asheville doesn't care about animals.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:55 AM

530 posts, read 1,340,803 times
Be happy that you found a place that even accepts pets, especially dogs. It is very difficult everywhere these days to rent with pets, and I for one would happily pay a deposit to keep my beloved animals. And in the interest of fairness, as another poster pointed out, many landlords have learned the hard way just how much damage a pet can cause when the owner is irresponsible. I am happy to hear that Asheville is pet-friendly, and can't wait to visit!

Old 05-24-2012, 09:19 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
I don't think $250 is too much or anything unusual.

If an owner can afford hundreds of dollars in rent, but would abandon a pet over $250, they didn't love their pet much in the first place.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:31 AM

679 posts, read 1,461,926 times
I agree, SS. When I lived in an apartment and had a dog and/or cat, I think I paid more of a deposit than that (and that would have been a long time ago). The fact the apartment complex took pets at all was considered "pet friendly" in those locales. If my (aging) memory serves me, more than half of the apartment complexes "just said no."

I understand the angst, though. My wife volunteers with Animal Compassion Network. I was with her there one day when an older couple came in with their dog. They were moving to a retirement community that did not allow dogs of any size. Watching them say goodbye, even though they intended to stay in contact with the eventual person who adopted the dog, was the second most gut-wrenching thing I've seen recently (we lost our beloved 12-1/2 year old pit bull to a heart problem a few months ago, and the trip to the vet and time there knowing he was dying was worse, but maybe that was because I was on the receiving end of that).

Still, let's not confuse pet-friendly (or anything else friendly) with somebody assuming the risk for the person with the pet (or anything else). I understood my having a dog/cat created a risk for the landlord, and it was my responsibility to help mitigate that risk. I can't say how they do it here, but one complex I went through this with routinely replaced the carpets when a tenant with a pet moved out, even if they had lived there only six months to a year (quicker than they would have otherwise). It wasn't so much a hedge against "indoor accidents" but out of fear the next tenant may be allergic to pet hair and they could not ensure they had removed it all any other way.

Funny thing is now that our boy is gone, I had to replace a molding in my downstairs office and we are replacing the carpet due to some issues with separation anxiety in his later years. I gladly bear the expense for the 11-1/2 years of companionship he provided, but if I was doing this for someone else I would probably be less philosophical.

Old 05-24-2012, 11:37 AM

1,176 posts, read 3,181,354 times
$250 charge or a refundable deposit? It's largely the fault of pet owners who don't clean up after their pets. I had a rental property where the cat peed on the carpets so much it damaged the wood underneath. When we bought a house later, we had to hire a service to vaccum out the dog hair from the previous owner's pet from the air vents. I do love animals and have volunteered at animal shelters for years. If there were more pets spayed/neutered, there'd be less of a pet overpopulation. Probably a long shot, but have you asked the Asheville humane society for tips on finding apartments without big pet deposits? $250 doesn't strike me as much, especially if it's refundable.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:48 PM

It was $250.00 per pet and I have 3 dogs and 2 cats. $500.00 maximum with no return of deposit would be more fair, in my opinion, but I rented my apt to folks that all had pets. My experience was good in that there was no bad damage.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:25 AM

3 posts, read 10,461 times
You just need to look harder. I just rented a large (custom built) green home in the North Asheville area and the homeowner of this 4yr old home that has custom floors, quality paint, etc....accepted our 2 dogs (border collie & yellow lab), 5 chickens (with chicken coop) and cats. He did not even charge us a pet deposit.....

Any other place I have rented here has allowed pets with a refundable pet deposit. There are plenty of half-backs who own homes here but live elsewhere that rent with non-refundable deposits....so stay away.

There are even animal-friendly property mgmt companies here....Alpha Real Estate for instance.

The fact that most stores (many are chains) allow pets inside (non service animals) is a testament to the liberal nature of this community. There are a couple of off-leash dog parks (a rarity in many cities) and even apartment complexes with dog runs and/or dog parks on their property for residents to enjoy (Audubon Place Apartments for instance....)

Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkf12982 View Post
You just need to look harder. I just rented a large (custom built) green home in the North Asheville area and the homeowner of this 4yr old home that has custom floors, quality paint, etc....accepted our 2 dogs (border collie & yellow lab), 5 chickens (with chicken coop) and cats. He did not even charge us a pet deposit.....

Any other place I have rented here has allowed pets with a refundable pet deposit. There are plenty of half-backs who own homes here but live elsewhere that rent with non-refundable deposits....so stay away.

There are even animal-friendly property mgmt companies here....Alpha Real Estate for instance.

The fact that most stores (many are chains) allow pets inside (non service animals) is a testament to the liberal nature of this community. There are a couple of off-leash dog parks (a rarity in many cities) and even apartment complexes with dog runs and/or dog parks on their property for residents to enjoy (Audubon Place Apartments for instance....)

Thanks so much for letting me know this. Gives me hope again.Also, I love the fact that you have chickens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina