U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 03:56 PM

2,939 posts, read 2,083,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
There are really two issues here, one is the possibility of dogs being taken for the wrong reasons and maybe bad things done. and that must be why the radio station is making a point of those lost dogs.

And the other is dogs running loose. As aggravating as it is or was, many folks used to let their hound dogs lose all the time. Then they call them and the hunting hounds would run straight home for dinner, bed, or hunting. When I grew up, not many kept their hunting dogs penned up but let them run and play. They trained them to respond to the whistle or call to return. They were working dogs.

So whether this explains the loose dogs you are seeing, I don't know. Just giving an alternate explanation.
I agree with this.

I moved up here in 2001 and I can tell you there are definitely two types of loose dogs in the mountains.

There is a long history of locals allowing their dogs free reign because it's the country, and it was much safer than the city if you lived out far enough. We've been on some streets here that are so far from traffic that the dogs literally SLEEP on the street in front of the house - especially on a cool day when the road gives off warmth.

My business partner lived in an area like that back then and his Labrador was free during the day and kept inside at night.

Then there are the abandoned dogs, of which there are too many. It's a completely different thing.

Some of the larger towns and new suburbs have leash laws or are contemplating it. The more built up an environment becomes, the more necessary it is.

I am reluctant to impose leash laws everywhere, because it sort of defeats the purpose of living way out in the country. Plus most people bring the dog in at night.

I do think though that if a dog attacks someone, then there should be a law that they can no longer run loose. Other than that, it depends on the kind of area you live in.

Murphy does still have a lot of places that are isolated enough that leash laws are unheard of. There are a lot more places like that the further west you go in WNC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2012, 09:40 AM

176 posts, read 155,741 times
We are pretty far out, have 3.5 acres, and while our formerly always leashed dog enjoys being a 'free-range Shih Tzu' when we are outside, he is always supervised. I don't think he'd ever run away, he's got it too good being our only furry child. lol And the thought of someone snatching him up to be dog fight bait puts chills down my spine.

Anyway, if you guys happen to be on Facebook at all, it would be nice if you would LIKE this page, as people are really trying to help those who's pets have gone missing. Thanks.

https://www.facebook.com/Bringourbabieshome

Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 PM

Whatever this thing is with snatching dogs in Murphy, it's something new.

It's beyond horrible and heartbreaking. If they find the person(s), they should go to jail with no possibility for parole as far as I'm concerned. They've taken a member of the family.

Old 06-10-2012, 08:43 AM

3,238 posts, read 1,548,683 times
Having had family in the area for years (Franklin / Otto area) I have never heard of such a thing as being a problem. They all have dogs that roam.

The point made of pitbulls being taken for fighting is more a Alabama, Georgia, Miss, SC or flatlands thing, I dont think the dog fighting thing happens much up in the mountains. Cockfighting maybe, but not dog fighting.

Question for Murphy residents: any new Chinese restaurant recently open in the area?

Old 06-10-2012, 09:22 AM

1,005 posts, read 1,657,113 times
The stray problem has always been an issue in Murphy. Unfortunately, a few years ago, this same type of thing was happening, the rumor was that people were stealing dogs and selling them to the labs.They were mostly targeting strays, but were also going into yards and taking them out of fences - they were taking cats, too.

But getting back to the strays - you can't go to a green box without seeing a stray - I can't tell you how many times we'd find either a really pregnant dog, or one that had just given birth with her whole litter of puppies. It's terrible.

Old 06-10-2012, 01:30 PM

If the lab thing is true ... I have to wonder if Murphy has gotten a reputation of being a place where you can easily find stray animals, because not enough people care.

Murphy is the only place in the mountains I lived (2001-2005) where the local government was hostile to the Humane Society and cut off all funding. Their Animal Control Dept. was one guy who doubled as a janitor. It was ridiculous.

I would imagine the people who catch animals for labs pass information along to each other. Murphy would be easy pickings because animals are not valued for the most part except by move-ins. The rural south in general is easy pickings and the problem is bad in the mountains. But Murphy is a gold mine.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:53 PM

3,238 posts, read 1,548,683 times
That must be a problem unique to Murphy then. Doesnt surprise me considering the change in demographics there over the past 10 years or so.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:25 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,657,113 times
I agree Stars! We ended up with several dogs because we felt bad for them and ended up rescuing them. I remember when they cut the funding to animal control. I thought it was crazy!

I was there during the time you were there, also. It'd be funny if we knew each other. Where are you now? I'm in Boone.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:54 AM

458 posts, read 558,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLoveLaugh View Post
How can you let a 3 month old dog run loose?
Yeah really!

My observances living here in WNC since 2004 regarding dogs (by the way, I live in east Asheville, a hop, skip, and a jump through the thick trees from the baseball fields and Evergreen Charter school):

Abandoned, free-roaming and plain 'ol yard escapees are the norm in my neighborhood. A couple months ago there was an elusive English Bulldog roaming New Haw Creek Road, then exclusively our neighborhood for a good week. We managed to get it by the collar one day when it came in our yard. We called both phone numbers on the tag - both were disconnected. Dog broke free and ran off. A few days later, the dog had traffic stopped on New Haw Creek running down the road.

Even though I'm county, I'm still in city limits for BCAC services. I've had on-going issues with a neighbor a few houses down since 2009 regarding her two dogs roaming 24/7. A pug and a dachshund mix. While I'm thankful they haven't been hit by now with the way they chase cars, UPS and FedEx; both are unruly and irritating as *bleep*. Ditto regarding the middle-age owner. She's currently sitting on her last warning before her dogs are taken for good. Which she denies, but the BCAC officer informs me personally of.

Times are tough. My thoughts are that people are either too lazy to get their pets fixed, hence all the unwanted/abandoned pets. Too broke to feed and care for another mouth - or both. Sad. Also figure into the equation that people just don't take the time to really think things out before making the commitment of dog ownership.

Wildlife. I'm all of four miles from 70/Tunnel Road and we have black bears and other creatures roaming this area all times of the day. I know of many dogs and cats that have gone missing, and believed to have fallen victim as prey. Not a lot of fenced yards, so I can see how this can easily happen to a dog.

Anyone remember the story of the black bear that snatched a goat from Animal Haven a year or two ago?

Lastly, for those that live way, way out in the sticks and want to allow their dog(s) free reign, I say it should be up to the discretion of the owner, and to accept the consequences whatever those may be.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:56 AM

124 posts, read 95,533 times
When we lived in the boonies of Buncombe, we noticed people let their dogs roam free, and at first we thought that was fine. Then, we also noticed that there were LOTS of dog fatalities caused by people driving way too fast down those narrow, twisty roads. Our cats were often harrassed by unfriendly free-roaming dogs, who came onto our land, and even up onto our porch. There were also lots of dogs shot for wandering into cow pastures (whether they were chasing cattle or not). Our own dog was even shot (by some joy-riding drunk kids) as she stood by the road in our yard, minding her own business. We immediately built a fence around our back yard, away from the road, and contained our dogs responsibly. They had plenty of room, and the fence kept them from bothering others and from being bothered. I'm all for dogs being free-range when the situation actually warrants it, but dogs (and the people and animals they affect) are not automatically safe in the countryside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina